Well, GM Won Me Back

shannerdrake

Well, after a long hiatus, I went back to GM. I grew up a Chevy guy. My first car was a 1971 Nova SS. For reasons unknown, I made a switch to Ford about 10 years ago and bought an Explorer, then a 2013 F-150 SCREW Ecoboost, then a 2017 SCREW 5.0. I always liked the idea of supporting Ford as they did not require or accept the bailouts all those years back. I was also disgusted for years at how much GM needed to stay afloat while their executives flew around in private jets.

That being said, the 2013 Ecoboost was a POS and the timing chain stretched and needed replaced for thousands of dollars at about 70,000 miles. Ford knows this is a problem with those first gen 3.5 Ecoboost engines and has done nothing about it. Luckily I was in one of those wrecks that totaled the truck, but left me unharmed, so I took my cash and bought the 2017...which made the POS 2013 look like a peach. To make a long story short, the transmission started going out of the 2017 at 64,000 miles. Ford customer service told me to fly a kite when I asked them to help me on the repairs since I had brought it in for transmission issues back when it was under warranty and I was only out of warranty by less than 4,000 miles. I told them I had bought my last Ford.

Found a local Chevrolet dealer who agreed to take my 2017 F-150 despite its chittyness (or chittiness?) on a trade and worked with me on a better than new (certified preowned) 2021 Silverado Trail Boss. Hopefully this one is trouble free. Lord knows that I'm due for a quality truck based on the law of averages alone. However, even if it is a lemon, I have a bumper to bumper warranty until 48,000 and a powertrain to 100,000.

This Pavement Princess is scheduled for her first hunt in a few weeks for some Tennessee turkeys and will be heading west in October for Wyoming mulies.

Attachments

• Silverado 1.jpg
    Silverado 1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Silverado 2.jpg
    Silverado 2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 60
Nice truck. If you have the 5.3 i would look to see if your truck has the bad valve spring issue; there are several tsb's out there for the issue.

them bail outs still leave a sour taste in my mouth & that's why they will always be Government Motors in my book! Good luck with the truck hope it serve's you better than your last couple !!!

I've come to the conclusion that all new vehicles have problems and it is just a roll of the dice if you will have one of the lemons or not.

My FIL bought a new GMC Sierra and had an engine bay fire in the first 500 miles.
I bought a new Ford Escape in 2018 and sold it with 77k miles after being told the occasional misfire was because of an engine defect that is known by Ford, but they will not fix.
My uncle purchased a Colorado off the show room floor several years ago (maybe 5ish?). It spent more time in the shop than in his driveway. He traded it for a new Silverado and it has been great for him.

I hope this one lasts you!

Nice truck. I'm a lifelong Chevy guy as well but just sold my Colorado and bought a Ram. Likely will not buy another GM product. Its not so much the vehicles as the dealerships and service. A couple months ago I got a check engine light for a reductant injector supply line (DEF system) issue. Brought it in and waited 3 weeks for the necessary part. $1300 later I was on my way. A few hundred miles later I added DEF but the gauge didn't reset to full so I brought it in to be checked out. Turns out it needs another part. Reductant pump (I think) for another $1800. It is a 2017 and has ~62k. For what trucks cost these days, they ought to be bulletproof for at least 100k.

I find it hard to believe the two issues aren't related, but the dealership maintains that they are not. I also find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have caught the second issue while working on the first one as they are very closely related. Dealership won't budge and simply don't give a damn. I think that last part is what really gets me. I've poured a good amount of cash into that place and they simply could care less. Just another dude with a f*cked up GM.

Alright rant over. Trail Boss is pretty sweet!

Nice truck! The only vehicles I feel have any reliability anymore are Toyota. I have one and a RAM. I will always have a Toyota so when the other rig fails I know I will have the Toyota to fall back on.

Nice truck. I'm a lifelong Chevy guy as well but just sold my Colorado and bought a Ram. Likely will not buy another GM product. Its not so much the vehicles as the dealerships and service. A couple months ago I got a check engine light for a reductant injector supply line (DEF system) issue. Brought it in and waited 3 weeks for the necessary part. $1300 later I was on my way. A few hundred miles later I added DEF but the gauge didn't reset to full so I brought it in to be checked out. Turns out it needs another part. Reductant pump (I think) for another $1800. It is a 2017 and has ~62k. For what trucks cost these days, they ought to be bulletproof for at least 100k.

I find it hard to believe the two issues aren't related, but the dealership maintains that they are not. I also find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have caught the second issue while working on the first one as they are very closely related. Dealership won't budge and simply don't give a damn. I think that last part is what really gets me. I've poured a good amount of cash into that place and they simply could care less. Just another dude with a f*cked up GM.

Those DEF system parts are to be covered under the 7 year 70,000 federal emissions warranty. A lot of dealerships are wiggling out of it though somehow.
I had a reductant injector fail and every dealership I called including where I bought my truck said it was out of warranty (2017~35k miles). I made plans to delete it until a good service manager did some digging and found it was indeed a warranty issue along with all other associated DEF parts. I understand mine being a RAM and your referencing a GM but it’s still a federal emission warranty.

Those DEF system parts are to be covered under the 7 year 70,000 federal emissions warranty. A lot of dealerships are wiggling out of it though somehow.
I had a reductant injector fail and every dealership I called including where I bought my truck said it was out of warranty (2017~35k miles). I made plans to delete it until a good service manager did some digging and found it was indeed a warranty issue along with all other associated DEF parts. I understand mine being a RAM and your referencing a GM but it’s still a federal emission warranty.
with GM i've had my best luck going up the chain past the local dealers. talk to the local dealers to make sure the other dealer is doing things right but once a week for the past month i've had a call from GM customer service notifying me of the parts shipment to rebuild 1/2 of my transmission, let me know what else they're trying to do for me in my favor since parts have been over a month on order, ect...

moral of the story, if local dealer isn't getting you what you feel you deserve go up the chain of command but be nice about it

with GM i've had my best luck going up the chain past the local dealers. talk to the local dealers to make sure the other dealer is doing things right but once a week for the past month i've had a call from GM customer service notifying me of the parts shipment to rebuild 1/2 of my transmission, let me know what else they're trying to do for me in my favor since parts have been over a month on order, ect...

moral of the story, if local dealer isn't getting you what you feel you deserve go up the chain of command but be nice about it
This is why I ultimately gave up on Ford. My wife and I have spent $200k on Fords during our marriage and for both the dealer and Ford Customer Service to tell me to fly a kite when only 3900 out of warranty on an existing problem was enough for me.

I figured it up the other day and between my two F-150s and her Mustang, we have spent over $10,000 on non-warranty repairs in the last 6 years and none of those vehicles made 100,000 with us.

To quote G. W. Bush:
"There's an old saying in Tennessee…I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says, fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!'"

I've come to the conclusion that all new vehicles have problems and it is just a roll of the dice if you will have one of the lemons or not.

My FIL bought a new GMC Sierra and had an engine bay fire in the first 500 miles.
I bought a new Ford Escape in 2018 and sold it with 77k miles after being told the occasional misfire was because of an engine defect that is known by Ford, but they will not fix.
My uncle purchased a Colorado off the show room floor several years ago (maybe 5ish?). It spent more time in the shop than in his driveway. He traded it for a new Silverado and it has been great for him.

I hope this one lasts you!
I’m with you. Statistically my next F-150 was likely to be the best truck I ever owned, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it again.

I’m with you. Statistically my next F-150 was likely to be the best truck I ever owned, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it again.
I have a different uncle that had your luck but with chevy and refuses to drive anything but ford for the last 30 years. No major problems for him.
Just all luck of the draw I reckon

BIL has a ram, I shut his tailgate the other day...not for me.

Congratulations on the new truck ! Always exciting to get a new vehicle. I have one on order... hope to see it this summer 🤞

Congratulations on the new truck ! Always exciting to get a new vehicle. I have one on order... hope to see it this summer 🤞
Judging by your handle, I’m guessing it’s a Ford F-250? Buddy ordered one in February with a projected October/November delivery. Decided to cancel his order because he didn’t want to spend $85k on a 2022 when there would be 2023s driving around before he could take delivery.

Back