Well, GM Won Me Back

Funny thing, we were looking for trucks for my 16 yr old. Those Vortex trucks of 90's, are still in demand.

Ended up handing down my 02' 2500hd work truck.

205k.

And his buddies think he hit the lotto
Just bought my grandpas 98 with 125k miles, love that truck. Truck has a lot of sentimental value to it. The year he bought it new was the first year I hunted by myself. I was 12 we rode to the spot together in that truck and I shot a nice ten point 30 minutes later. Got a picture somewhere with me, my younger sister and the buck on the tailgate of that truck. I’ve hauled quite a few deer in the back of that truck since. My kids deer will get a ride in it someday. I went down and picked it up from him last fall he wouldn't take any money for it so I gave him a new deer gun in trade for it that he'd been eyeing up for some time. Anyhow I really rambled there going down memory lane.

Funny thing, we were looking for trucks for my 16 yr old. Those Vortex trucks of 90's, are still in demand.

Ended up handing down my 02' 2500hd work truck.

205k.

And his buddies think he hit the lotto
The 1988-1998 GMC's were great trucks. I ran two of them to over 300k before selling. I do think the new LS engines are the best gas engines made though. mtmuley

My '18 2500HD 80K mi. Duramax GMC has only needed a new coolant reservoir cap...that's a first.
I have a 19' GMC 2500HD Duramax and they replaced the whole reservoir because it was giving a low coolant message every once in a while. It probably just needed a cap. lol

I have a 19' GMC 2500HD Duramax and they replaced the whole reservoir because it was giving a low coolant message every once in a while. It probably just needed a cap. lol
Same here (2018 GMC 2500HD), I have only had the whole reservoir replaced (under warranty) due to the low coolant messages.

Never knew there was a difference in the 2. Same things to me.
Different name tags on body, same bad paint jobs.

Chevy & Jimmy?...bowtie hank...
I had some 50's models.
I was given several of each to use for work by the county. Fleet trucks. No buenos.
I lucked out and got the older fords and a dodge 4x durango instead for the last 10 years.
Then a coworker drove my dodge truck into a tree and I got nothing back. A boat. A dump truck was available.

I had some 50's models.
I was given several of each to use for work by the county. Fleet trucks. No buenos.
I lucked out and got the older fords and a dodge 4x durango instead for the last 10 years.
Then a coworker drove my dodge truck into a tree and I got nothing back. A boat. A dump truck was available.
Regular maintenance mitigates but a lemon is a lemon. I've had in several brands.

Well, after a long hiatus, I went back to GM. I grew up a Chevy guy. My first car was a 1971 Nova SS. For reasons unknown, I made a switch to Ford about 10 years ago and bought an Explorer, then a 2013 F-150 SCREW Ecoboost, then a 2017 SCREW 5.0. I always liked the idea of supporting Ford as they did not require or accept the bailouts all those years back. I was also disgusted for years at how much GM needed to stay afloat while their executives flew around in private jets.

That being said, the 2013 Ecoboost was a POS and the timing chain stretched and needed replaced for thousands of dollars at about 70,000 miles. Ford knows this is a problem with those first gen 3.5 Ecoboost engines and has done nothing about it. Luckily I was in one of those wrecks that totaled the truck, but left me unharmed, so I took my cash and bought the 2017...which made the POS 2013 look like a peach. To make a long story short, the transmission started going out of the 2017 at 64,000 miles. Ford customer service told me to fly a kite when I asked them to help me on the repairs since I had brought it in for transmission issues back when it was under warranty and I was only out of warranty by less than 4,000 miles. I told them I had bought my last Ford.

Found a local Chevrolet dealer who agreed to take my 2017 F-150 despite its chittyness (or chittiness?) on a trade and worked with me on a better than new (certified preowned) 2021 Silverado Trail Boss. Hopefully this one is trouble free. Lord knows that I'm due for a quality truck based on the law of averages alone. However, even if it is a lemon, I have a bumper to bumper warranty until 48,000 and a powertrain to 100,000.

This Pavement Princess is scheduled for her first hunt in a few weeks for some Tennessee turkeys and will be heading west in October for Wyoming mulies.
I work for Ford and wouldn't buy a new F150 for 50% off. They are junk. I drive an 03 F150. 2v no issues. The Chevy is pretty nice.

Not a fan of the Ford 10R80 transmission. 10spd that when it works it is great. But it is a problematic automatic. Mine had to have E&F clutches rebuilt at 38k. Thankfully warranty was honored. GM has the same transmission but goes by a different number. One of those co-developed projects to mutually meet CAFE standards🙄
Cummins diesel in the Ram 2500s is supposedly very reliable. I read that it (engine not rest of powertrain) is warrantied to 100k.😲

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back