Yeti GOBOX Collection

Weight loss

Gunner46

I have to admit it. I'm not 25, 45, nor 55 anymore. I truly love my Ruger M77 boat paddle, but it's seeming a little hefty these days. Are any of you experienced in shaving about a pound out of a brick stock ? I'm sure some judicious channeling of the forearm interior, and maybe a drilling into the grip would yield benefit, but to what lengths remaining safe?

I don't think there is a great way to lighten those MKIIs. I've shopped around a bit for lighter stocks and haven't found any great options.

I wonder if a shaved down walnut stock like @Ben Lamb has might not be the lightest option.

the M77's are heavy rifles not so much because of the stock, but because of all the steel. The actions are robust & the bbls are usually pretty thick too, even the sporter versions. Best option if you really want to cut the weight is to get a lighter rifle.

The stock work I had done on mine got rid of about a pound, but it's still heavy compared to a lot of modern bolt actions.

MPI and possibly Brown make light-ish stocks for the MKII. Depending on the weight of the factory stock, McMillan might be lighter but probably not light enough. If you are looking to have someone fit the stock and choose the MPI, I'd have Rick Steinhour do the work.

I always make sure to lighten the load by at least 3lbs every morning before leaving camp. ;)

Back