Weekend birds

Nemont

Got out Saturday and today to chase some geese. Had a hard time rounding up many guys to get out but that is just the way it is. Saturday the birds trickled in coming in pairs and small flocks. I think every flock we saw decoyed and we were done quickly. Got out of the field and loaded up.

PB261188.jpg

PB261190.jpg

Sunday was completely different day. The first bird of the morning landed 10 feet from the end of the sons buddies blind. I thought we would have flock after flock do the same thing but it didn't turn out that way. The next bird was snow goose that came in perfect for my son to hammer his first snow goose.

Here are boys with their birds.

PB271203.jpg

unfortunately the geese had a different flight plan filed and we only ended up with two more birds but the guys seemed happy to be out in the field and chasing geese.

PB271201.jpg

Can't wait to get out again.

Nemont

Last edited:
Great stuff Nemont. You got any special recipes for those things? You shoot a ton of them, so I figure if anyone has the inside track on cooking them, it is you.

Damn, I stopped in Glasgow last night to get some coffee and hoped that I would run into you looking for someone to join in on a hunt.:D

Cool, one of the few times I miss being in Oklahoma is goose season. Congrats on making em fall out of the sky.
Fin, my only secret for cooking them is the same as most wild game...med rare.

Damn, I stopped in Glasgow last night to get some coffee and hoped that I would run into you looking for someone to join in on a hunt.:D

Craig,

I am in the phonebook, if I knew you were in town the welcome mat would have been out.

Now that big game ended today I suspect there will be more willing participants.

Big Fin,

I make alot of jerky. The legs and thighs get cooked either in the crockpot or in a pressure cooker and I pull all the meat of them and use in alot of different recipes.

I will also make corned goose breasts but that is a three week process of brining them and then smoking them. I have actually have requests for those.

And there are a couple of old timers around who will take a couple of birds. Those old guys seem to like roasted goose but not my favorite way to eat them.

Ducks almost all get plucked, brined for 24 to 48 hours and smoked with apple or cherry wood until done.

Nemont

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonasababy
Back