we need a heater for camping

I’ve used a mr buddy heater many a night camping in an enclosed trailer and tent. They’re supposed to trip and shut off should CO levels reach dangerous levels, but every time I’ve used one it’s ran all night and I’m still alive to tell you about it so must not be too bad. I would recommend the 5 feet extension hose that adapts to a 20 pound propane bottle. That way you won’t be crawling out of your warm sleeping bag to change out one of the small green bottles at 3am.

Ya think?
giphy.gif

Broken English, links to weird websites, odd questions. All a bit fishy.
The links have been removed. Sorry, I don't know the links are banned here.
No experience to buy a tent. It looks warm enough, so...
Maybe I am wrong.

If you gotta have something like that to go "camping" and stay warm. You guys just better keep the tent camping to the back yard with your friends...... cause staying warm should be about the least of your worries.......

Are you car camping or backpacking into a remote area? What kinda temps are you talking about? If car camping where you can bring a lot of gear and weight is not an issue, I use a big inflatable air mattress or cot to get off the cold ground. I will also use 2 sleeping bags and nothing really high end. I will use a propane heater but do not run it while I’m sleeping. I warm the tent up while getting ready to sleep and turn it off when I get into my sleeping bag. As soon as I wake up I start it and wait for the tent to warm up before I get out of my bag. It’s never been an issue staying warm as long as I bring enough bedding. My experience packing in is limited so I don’t really have any advice there.

I do a lot of winter camping, I never use any heating system for the tent. I do use 2 sleeping bags. I put my lighter summer bag inside my winter bag, nice and warm. Also helps to do the following

Change clothes before you go to bed. Never sleep in clothes you have been wearing. They are wet, even if you don't think they are.

I personally only sleep in my undies, but have been know to put on long johns, wool socks and a long sleeve tee shirt for nights that are below zero

I do put on a stocking hat at night for bed. Keep boots and mittens close to the door unless you have a pee bottle.

alot of times I will put the next days clothes in the hood of the inside mummy bag, use if for a pillow until i turtle my head inside of the bag to sleep

Spot on. No need or utility in wearing all your clothes inside a sleeping bag. Decent bag, and double layered bags meet the need and far more comfortable.

You can put me in the camp of never trusting a propane heater in a tent or camper while sleeping. The sensor only has to fail one time for you to never wake up.

If your just car camping get a tent that's 10x10 with 6ft of headroom. Throw a carpet in it and you've got a nice room. Remember you'll need a ground tarp to protect the tent floor and I highly recommend flying a tarp over the top of the tent for added protection from the elements. As far as heaters go the Buddy cant be beat and is perfectly safe to use in a tent or rv. Just crack the windows open a bit for cross ventilation and you'll be fine. Keep her comfy and she'll be wanting to get out with you a lot.

Why not get a tent with a little woodstove? Some great options out there these days. Wood is the ultimate heat source...

Build a tent log stove it will heat a tent up very nice google it
you take a log nice size one split it in 4 cut a bit of egdes off from inside wire it back together now you have a log with hole in center set it up on rocks or something for air flow add a bent pipe going from tent to down center of the log down below bottom of log. Start a fire inside log it burns for a long time all gas is out side tent hot air flows out pipe from convection and the pipe inside tent is warm not hot and hot aor pours into tent

I’ve used the buddy heaters in a tent camping in the Tetons in the cold weather in just a 8 man dome tent had two going and it didn’t seem to make very much difference at all but this was just a cheap Walmart tent probably would be a lot better with a four season tent we were concerned with co so bought a co detector to put in the tent just to make sure and it never went off

Have any of you seen an improvement to the use of a water bottle with boiling water in it as a heater?

I just read the propane heater and wall tent/wood stove options; used in deep backcountry without a Llama or pack horse aren't ideal.

Have any of you seen an improvement to the use of a water bottle with boiling water in it as a heater?

I just read the propane heater and wall tent/wood stove options; used in deep backcountry without a Llama or pack horse aren't ideal.
A good sleeping bag and clothing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back