Caribou Gear

We killed a Dinosaur AND ate it

It was totally magnificent. Cooked to perfection. It was good old beef and the local butcher doesn’t get them that often. 2.5kg (5lb) of carnivore heaven. There was some token coleslaw on the side - more like garnish.

Any trick to get that dark of char on it? I love a good restaurant steak with a char but have not been able to duplicate it at home

Get the BBQ on Your highest heat and Char the outside,then down
to med. or indirect heat.Great char effect and Med. Rare inside. 😎

Any trick to get that dark of char on it? I love a good restaurant steak with a char but have not been able to duplicate it at home
A searing hot cast iron pan with the best thick herb butter rub will usually give a nice crust on a marbled steak cut. Heck, likely any slab of meat.
After that seared outside is set to trap in the juices, then an easy oven or lower heat grill will cook nicely... Then let the slab set for 5-10 minutes before sticking the fork/knife. Mouth watering thinking about it as I type... Think tomorrow's dinner has been decided.

Yep seared it first then reduced it down to medium heat for about 2 beers each side. Rare towards the bone but a lovely medium rare. Gave it our best effort but was still meat left on the bone. Felt like a big old snake trying to digest it the next couple of days.

Spot on buckbull - I reckon a nicer taste with the bone in.

In this case, I was just looking for mostly pure, unadulterated woodie, so I salted, peppered and grilled very slowly on a low fire until medium rare (was shooting for rare). I don't eat a lot of ducks so I have not been getting fancy with them.
Similar to what I do. Squeeze orange or lemon juice on it then salt and pepper it. Sometimes simple is good.
Roast Duck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back