Wasted bull and poor choices story

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
Well unless the guy was walking in a big circle, it was still going to be 16 miles back to his rig. I think story is fabricated and he is trying to tap into the all landowners are rotten SOB's sentiment.

Hard to tell one's motivations. Given that the hunter seemingly desires influencer status, my $ is on his desire to show everyone that he shot a nice bull and share a sob story about why he cant get good grip n grins with it and the poopooing landowners is a diversion.

I do know with certainty that if I had wounded an elk and it made it to private property, then bedded down 20 yards from the property line, I would have dispatched the animal. That is a no brainer to me. No matter how any of the rest of it plays out, the elk deserves better than what happened.

Then I would have contacted the landowner, to inquire about permission to retrieve the animal. I would have pro-actively offered a trespass fee.

If this is the same guy as the ewe sheep hunter, then I have enough info to lay most all of this on him...no all of it. Shooting a ewe at 500 yards in the wind, hitting it very poorly. Then hitting it poorly again at 300 yards. Then whooping it up like a moron. The guy does no decent hunter any favors.

Where does it say that? I contacted a different Park and they had no issues with it as long as it was legally harvested and tagged.
That was the first year you could pack a gun into the Park. He was hunting with a bow, and guess what? Bows are not legal to pack in the Park. So I dropped him off with his bow and he pack it in 10 miles off trail cross country through the National Forest. I went to a much closer Park trailhead, and packed my pack and his pack in, in 2 trips. Those where the rules, so that's what we did.

That was the first year you could pack a gun into the Park. He was hunting with a bow, and guess what? Bows are not legal to pack in the Park. So I dropped him off with his bow and he pack it in 10 miles off trail cross country through the National Forest. I went to a much closer Park trailhead, and packed my pack and his pack in, in 2 trips. Those where the rules, so that's what we did.
Gotcha. so it was the weapon not the dead critter that was the trigger. I have ran into that same problem.

Huh, must be Park specific, because I asked and was told yes.
I'm guessing it just depends on the park. The only trail north of Estes Park that you can walk with a bow or carcass through rocky mountain National Park required you to sign in at the trail head with your license number and you must check out every day, ie can't stay in there. It's not far through the park to get to the national forest on this trail but it's the only access by the crow flying for quite a few miles

Just like landowner permission these days. I would ask for them to write that authority down, and sign it.
I emailed and received a phone call back, when I asked if the enforcement officer could send me back an email he said he'd try to, then didn't. Didn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling, but I didn't kill anything so it really doesn't matter.

10 years from now I would give 2 chits about putting the elk out of its misery 20 yards onto private and getting caught. Causing an animal to suffer for hours because the ol rancher had a stick up his ass would haunt me for longer. But I have a feeling there’s more to this story. The best thing to do is not hunt elk on the boundaries to avoid this. The second best thing to do is shut up and put another one in it and figure out meat retrieval later.

can the landowner shoot you for trespassing?
How much trouble do you get in if you just started to process it and the warden showed up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back