PEAX Equipment

Washington Pronghorn / Can they jump a fence?

fishing4sanity

I'm sure we've all had those experiences of witnessing something and wishing we had it on video. Today, I saw a coyote racing through the sagebrush and hot on his tail was a pronghorn buck. The coyote came to a barbwire fence and went through without even slowing down. I was wondering if the pronghorn would go over or under. I've heard people say that pronghorn can't jump a fence. I've seen them jump a fence before, but I think they often prefer going under. Well, the pronghorn didn't slow up a bit either and cleared that fence with ease, long jump in distance and plenty of height. I would love to have caught them on video! At the top of this gully they crossed, the coyote disappeared and the antelope stopped to watch me. All I had was a cell phone and he was quite a ways away. My son was a few minutes behind me bringing a truck to some farm ground we rent. I tried calling him, but phones are very hit-and-miss in that area. When we met at the field several minutes later and he was excited to show me a phone video of a pronghorn that ran down the hill towards him and just ran with the truck for a few seconds, then jumped the fence again. He didn't seem to care at all about the truck. Poor quality pic and video, but it was sure awesome to witness.

Cool video. I’ve seen them jump a fence before also, but like you said they seem to prefer to go under them.

Super cool. I haven't seen any of the Toppenish herd in quite a while. And I still haven't seen any of the Omak herd (I'm also heard it referred to as the Mansfield herd).

Somebody here has a picture of a Buck midair jumping. I think it's one of the Mule Deer Slayers...

They don't necessarily need to be running to jump a fence. I saw a buck antelope, from a standing position, nearly clear an 8 foot high solid "fence". He got his front legs and enough of his torso over to be able to tip his body over and fall down the other side of the "fence".

While they seem to prefer to go under a fence, they are very capable of jumping.

ClearCreek

I had one running in the ditch a few year ago and I went ahead and passed him. I glanced in the rear view to see him cross the road and jump the fence on the other side, then a hoof caught on the top wire and he tumbled to the ground.

It seems they can jump fences but are not really good at it.

Back