Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

War on Weeds in the Bitterroot

BigHornRam

Looks like they are going to hit it hard. Mostly south facing elk, deer, and sheep winter range locations from the maps.

For those that don't like to read links, this is a 4 year deal to treat 35,000 acres. Big project!

"Treatment of these aggressive species has become a priority for many agencies in the western United States. Partnering with the Ravalli County Weed District, this treatment is being funded through grants from the Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program (WHIP), and the Ravalli County Resource Advisory Committee (RAC). The grants will fund integrated weed treatment on approximately 35,000 acres of the forest over the next 4 years, to include herbicide treatment, reseeding, and biological control."

What is WHIP?

Everywhere has an insane problem. Totally sucks and landowners (public and private) aren’t held responsible enough

I talked with a contract sprayer this summer. Kinda felt bad for him, one guy with a utv and thousands of acres to cover. He told me he doesn’t even bother to spray knapweed as it’s so well established. He was mainly concentrated on new patches of skeleton weed that were popping up and other patches of things he has been spraying for years

I have a love/hate relationship with the years I spent spraying. I felt like I was doing something great but it was a drop in the ocean. It also led me to spot and get angry about weeds all the time. I tend to do a lot of pulling when I’m hiking, hunting and driving around

One of our major timber companies in NE WA likes to nuke the land after timber harvest to eliminate competition for the new seedlings planted one to two years later. Problem is, every cut looks horrendous, has no good habitat for wildlife and is one huge weed patch, but nobody seems to care, all for the shareholders. Nothing said about the 7 or 8 different chemicals that are aereal sprayed that will enter the waterways.

Man IDK, have you been to ID or eastern OR? I feel like I struggled to find a native species floating the John Day this spring. And the lower portions of the Boise River were just as bad.
Driving through Eastern WA, you would think the spotted knap-weed is the state flower.

One of our major timber companies in NE WA likes to nuke the land after timber harvest to eliminate competition for the new seedlings planted one to two years later. Problem is, every cut looks horrendous, has no good habitat for wildlife and is one huge weed patch, but nobody seems to care, all for the shareholders. Nothing said about the 7 or 8 different chemicals that are aereal sprayed that will enter the waterways.
Cuts around me used to get burned before replanting, it was pretty nice and you got a decent suite of plant life afterwards. Now we are on the herbicide treatment route. Tons of slash left on the ground then sprayed killing off everything and then afterwards a giant weed patch with way way too many seedlings planted

Man IDK, have you been to ID or eastern OR? I feel like I struggled to find a native species floating the John Day this spring. And the lower portions of the Boise River were just as bad.
I haven’t spent any time in the areas you’ve mentioned. I own a noxious weed spraying business a couple hours east of the bitterroot. I’m considering opening another location over there just based on what I’ve seen while scouting this year.

I haven’t spent any time in the areas you’ve mentioned. I own a noxious weed spraying business a couple hours east of the bitterroot. I’m considering opening another location over there just based on what I’ve seen while scouting this year.
You will have no shortage of business over here. Guaranteed!

Get a handle on yellow starthistle in the hells canyon country and you’ll be a millionaire.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back