Conservation Easements in Eastern Montana

Schaaf

I don't know if it has been a conscious decision or just coincidence, but FWP has really gone above and beyond on securing conservation easements in Eastern Montana. It seemed like the ball got rolling about the time the Horse Creek Easement went through. Since that time there has been numerous more easements including the Coal Creek easement near the Powder River, the Antelope Coulee Easement north of Hysham and fingers crossed for the W-Bar easement north of Wibaux. These all provide hunting access in perpetuity and ensure we have cows and not condos. There are a couple more that are currently open for public comment and I would encourage you to look at the Environmental Assessment and if you feel inclined to do so, submit public comment in support of both easements.

The Ash Coulee Easement is 3400 acres southeast of Hinsdale. The primary habitats represented on the Ash Coulee Project property include riparian corridors, sagebrush and shrub grasslands, and plains grasslands. Critical winter range for mule deer and migrating antelope, and habitat that serves as migratory linkage for migrating sage-grouse, would be perpetuated by maintaining and improving existing habitat. In addition, wildlife use, including sharp-tailed grouse, mule deer, 2 white-tailed deer, mourning doves, several species of ducks, and a wide variety of native species of migratory birds, songbirds, small mammals, and bats, would be perpetuated.

*Public comment is accepted until July 10, at 5:00 pm*

Ash Coulee Easement

The other easement up for comment is the Lone Tree Conservation Easement south of Chinook and just north of the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument, totaling 11,300 acres. The primary native habitats on this property are prairie grasslands, sagebrush steppe, and prairie forest habitats. These habitats provide important winter range for bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, and mule deer. The property also provides habitat for sage grouse and other upland birds, elk, white-tailed deer, mourning doves, and a variety of other native species including migratory birds, songbirds, small mammals, reptiles and amphibians. This area provides habitat for a variety of species of concern including long-billed curlew, Brewer’s sparrow, pinyon jay, loggerhead shrike, greater short-horned lizard, and several bat species. The proposed action would enhance existing habitats through implementation of a grazing system and reseeding of some previously cultivated land to permanent vegetative cover.

*Public comment is accepted until July 11, at 5:00 pm*

Lone Tree Easement

Last edited:
Conversations I've had within FWP is that this is a conscious decision. There's a willingness on both sides (FWP, Landowner) to do things like this. Politics has inserted its head many times, as we all know.

Conversations I've had within FWP is that this is a conscious decision. There's a willingness on both sides (FWP, Landowner) to do things like this. Politics has inserted its head many times, as we all know.
I've gotten the same impression. A few of the ones I listed are absolutely amazing chunks of ground. I think we'll be incredibly thankful these were secured 50 years from now.

I've gotten the same impression. A few of the ones I listed are absolutely amazing chunks of ground. I think we'll be incredibly thankful these were secured 50 years from now.
Absolutely. I see that LO especially are wanting to keep the lands open. Less family ranches are being maintained in the generations, so this is the next best thing. I was at the Antelope Coulee last year and was surprised at what I saw. A great piece of ground.

Nice to hear Montana is including public access language into their conservation easements. Here is California very few conservation easements allow for public access, a few do, but most do not or it is limited. Conservation easements in CA do protect a lot of biological resources very well.

Just wanted to bring this back to the top. If you are at all concerned with public access to hunting areas in Eastern Montana please send in a quick positive comment about these conservation easements. Both of them provide linkage between other public and private lands with public access. The Lone Tree CE will provide access to large areas of BLM lands that have little to no access currently.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back