Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Walmart Requiring Registration to Buy Ammo

Sam Walton would roll over in his grave if he saw how Wal Mart has changed since he began the store. I bet registering for the ammo was a poor choice of words from a person who knows absolutely nothing about ammo. The wal mart system probably requires him to scan your id, like it does when you are under 40 and purchasing alcohol. Every inch of that store is covered in security cameras and if the cashier overrides the system they will be asked questions.

I really don't like the idea of my information going into some database somewhere in regards to my purchase of ammo, but the worker at Wal-Mart has nothing to do with it. They are just trying to do their job. Practically everything we do nowadays goes into some sort of database. I am sure that my internet provider has a database showing that I get onto this forum and discuss guns. The government has almost unlimited resources to find out if I am a gun owner. Do I think that it's too much and an invasion of privacy - absolutely. However, I knowingly use a smart phone, the internet, etc. to discuss these types of things, so it's a little hypocritical of me to chastise the government for overreach, and at the same time sign on to a lot of other overreach because it makes my life a little easier or better in some way. Just my .02.

Most large stores that sell ammo as well as everything else will require photo id for ammo purchases.

If you order online, you have to provide your DL so you can show proof of age, etc. I'm sure that this is a corporate policy related to liability, not Walmart looking to start a database on who's buying ammo.
Buzzkill

I really don't like the idea of my information going into some database somewhere in regards to my purchase of ammo, but the worker at Wal-Mart has nothing to do with it. They are just trying to do their job. Practically everything we do nowadays goes into some sort of database. I am sure that my internet provider has a database showing that I get onto this forum and discuss guns. The government has almost unlimited resources to find out if I am a gun owner. Do I think that it's too much and an invasion of privacy - absolutely. However, I knowingly use a smart phone, the internet, etc. to discuss these types of things, so it's a little hypocritical of me to chastise the government for overreach, and at the same time sign on to a lot of other overreach because it makes my life a little easier or better in some way. Just my .02.
This right here! The private industry is who we should all worry the most about when it comes to overreach. All in the name of making another dollar. Google and others are scary as to what they have their hands in these days. Most people have no idea. Of course all of that data is exploited by the gov't so here we are. All those permissions you grant with apps and so forth you really should think hard about before doing so.

No better way to stand up for your rights against a policy that came from the Corporate office than to make the local rank and file employee pay for it.
I support your opinion %100. The local rank and file employee gets paid no matter if their being productive or not. A mini protest doesn't make the least bit of difference to walley world. It does however usually make the protester feel a little bit better. Of course that's just my opinion.

From The Social Dilemma:

1651119422897.jpeg

I don't care who knows what about me. Big deal! I have no secrets to hide. Like the CIA will put a bomb in my mailbox? So what if corporate America knows I like instant oatmeal instead of Fruitloops! How's that gonna ruin my life? Some folks just gotta have something to worry about.

I took a trash can full of salvaged copper pipe to Pacific Steel to recycle it the other day.

I had to register my drivers license with them to ensure they had contact info if anything was reported stolen.

#righttorecycle

I don't care who knows what about me. Big deal! I have no secrets to hide. Like the CIA will put a bomb in my mailbox? So what if corporate America knows I like instant oatmeal instead of Fruitloops! How's that gonna ruin my life? Some folks just gotta have something to worry about.
It’s more about what they do with that data than whether they have it. If it’s being used to recommend a book you might like to read, that’s pretty harmless. If it’s being used to target you with inflammatory rhetoric that intices you to spend more time reading inflammatory rhetoric (which 100% is happening today), then that’s a slippery slope and pretty dangerous for society as a whole. Just look at all of the polarization in the world today. Social media and targeted manipulation is the gasoline on that fire. Their only goal is to keep you online as much as possible. That’s how they make money serving you ads and content. The way to keep you online is figure out what fires you up. Vicious cycle, and I’m afraid it doesn’t end well.

Edit: Sorry to derail this away from the Walmart issue. I’m not implying that Walmart does this directly. However many companies now have covert sub-business in selling the data they collect to other entities. And there are companies you’ve never heard of who solely exist to be brokers of that data. It’s fascinating and scary at the same time, and not talked about enough IMO.

Last edited:
I took a trash can full of salvaged copper pipe to Pacific Steel to recycle it the other day.

I had to register my drivers license with them to ensure they had contact info if anything was reported stolen.

#righttorecycle
That's understandable to try and cut down on thefts. I have dealt with A&S metals for maybe 15 years. We know each other very well. They have my full account info yet whenever I take copper, stainless, aluminum etc. they take a picture of me and a picture of the pile of metal. It keeps people a little more honest.

That’s interesting I have bought a lot of ammo online and I don’t recall ever providing a drivers license

I must be lucky
A lot of the larger online retialers get the info from your credit card company, etc and they still make you click the liability form that says you're old enough to order, etc.

Small retailers have asked for a photo id to be scanned or faxed since I started ordering ammo online around 20 years ago.

Sam Walton would roll over in his grave if he saw how Wal Mart has changed since he began the store.
I think the $230+ Billion in Walton family wealth and 17 years as the sole member of the ‘Fortune 1’ is probably a decent consolation prize :)

/sarcasm
Edit: Sorry to derail this away from the Walmart issue. I’m not implying that Walmart does this directly. However many companies now have covert sub-business in selling the data they collect to other entities. And there are companies you’ve never heard of who solely exist to be brokers of that data. It’s fascinating and scary at the same time, and not talked about enough IMO.
Very valid point in the larger context of infosec and PII. But, to expand on your acknowledgement of this not being a WMT issue, I've worked with many large retailers (incl the topic of this thread), and am currently employed by a mid-size one. Retailers aren't using consumer data to serve media/influence anything other than buying more stuff, in more ways, from them. I review consumer data daily, and it's both amalgamated and, honestly, pretty boring (avg cart size, price sensitivity, channel preferences, geographic demand, CAC/CLV, et al). It never contains PII.

Nothing better then sticking it to the man!

I don't show the grumpy greeter my Sam's Club card either, she either gets to check everybody's or nobody's. I tell her I can't buy anything but a hotdog without it, so why else would I be there? Stick it to the man!

I don't show the grumpy greeter my Sam's Club card either, she either gets to check everybody's or nobody's. I tell her I can't buy anything but a hotdog without it, so why else would I be there? Stick it to the man!
I never thought about not being able to check out without the magic card. I know Costco has the right to check your receipt against your cart because they are a subscription "club". If you don't pay to get in, then companies like Walmart cannot legally ask for it.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back