Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Walmart Requiring Registration to Buy Ammo

I replied to an ad on CL for some powder. I checked back on the ad a day later and it was flagged for removal. I was able to connect with him though. The haters are everywhere.

I took a trash can full of salvaged copper pipe to Pacific Steel to recycle it the other day.

I had to register my drivers license with them to ensure they had contact info if anything was reported stolen.

#righttorecycle
Did the same thing yesterday when I turned in eight junk brake drums.

The other company took a scan of my license as well for returning core shoes with a purchase receipt from Thursday, four days earlier.

Both because of an attempt to control theft rings.

Maybe there’s some old world penalties that need to become mainstream again.

DCB9CD72-D195-4E6A-BE89-212AADA2896B.jpeg

The powder I’ve bought recently all results in showing my license and they never touch it, just look at the DOB and enter it.

Well it looks like this thread is not going to die easy, so, I ended up going to Academy, which is a chain sporting goods store. Bought my shotgun shells with no issue whatsoever. Not even asked to prove my age as I am well over the legal age and unfortunately show it.

A few of you brought up some valid points, but I guess I am just hardheaded or whatever you want to call it. But I refuse to give in to the liberal world and give more info than required by law. Yes I bought the shells using my credit card, yes I had my phone with me, yes I parked my truck with onstar in the parking lot and yeah they probably have the face recognition cameras in the store, but no I didn't have to let them do anything with my drivers license. Plus the shells were a little cheaper. And I will still buy from Walmart, as that is where we do our grocery shopping because it is the only grocery store in our town.

some boys are easily scared.

I wanna know where you guys are buying brand ammo, in stock? No hit and miss off brand crap.

I overpaid for a box of 7mag at my local Walmart last week. The lady didn’t ask me for anything other than payment. She’s pretty cool though, wear camo to work and actually hunts and fishes.

They did ask for ID for my wife’s wine though.

Apparently a few here don’t have a retail sales background.

Wife is a store manager for a liquor store.

The regulations on the store are stupid. Same as they are for ammunition. Reality is, you can’t sell handgun ammunition to anyone under 18.

This is for Minnesota, most states follow this as it’s a federal law too.
31EDE597-6676-47B8-A4F5-7E9E439953BA.png

Retailers are checked. They will have people come in who are actually underage to buy. Stores can land themselves in serious hot water and get fines in tens of thousands of dollars. I know a couple liquor stores in Minnesota and North Dakota who have lost their sales license because of it. I know employees who have been terminated for it as well.

When I worked for sportsman warehouse on the gun counter, I know for a fact corporate had underaged buyers (21 for pistols) come in even just to look at pistols and such and we couldn’t even let them view the gun without a parent with them.

Some of these folks are just following the store procedures to prevent those fines/ penalties.

Take it up with your votes if it’s that big of an issues. Your congress critters are the reason for it.

Last edited:
It's pretty ironic that the gun lobby has people so frightening about being on some kind if list that it's convinced more people than ever to join the N.R.A. Who keeps a list of members, with all your information, and all your survey answers that they then SELL...

Don't think so? Ever joined and then paid attention to all the mailers or phone calls you now get unrelated to the N.R.A. Drop your membership and it gets worse.

How do you guarantee your 1.8 MILLION employees who may not have graduated high school, doesn't have the skills and experience to make good life and career decisions, may have a substance abuse problem, or criminal record, does not sell a controlled item to the wrong person?

You collect driver license numbers with every sale and let a computer program do the approval.

Apparently a few here don’t have a retail sales background.

I've been idly watching this thread waiting for this comment. As grumpy and bossy and right as old timers think they can be, they're never as bad as having to deal with liquor control, fire marshal, or ATF. Their grumpiness carries a lot more weight, lol.

I've been idly watching this thread waiting for this comment. As grumpy and bossy and right as old timers think they can be, they're never as bad as having to deal with liquor control, fire marshal, or ATF. Their grumpiness carries a lot more weight, lol.
Has to do with just watching my wife going through certification for retail sales for a liquor store.

Stuff she came home and shared that makes one go “holy cow”…

Having worked a gun counter to watch a co-worker be terminated because they showed a 1911 to the wrong person one too many times.

I don’t like it either. But when the law comes after a retail employee because of stupid stuff the courts should have addressed…

And then people come here complaining because they have to “show their drivers license “ and take it out on the employees.

4711E3E7-E00B-4AAA-A33F-D4AB8CE23375.png

Most large stores that sell ammo as well as everything else will require photo id for ammo purchases.

If you order online, you have to provide your DL so you can show proof of age, etc. I'm sure that this is a corporate policy related to liability, not Walmart looking to start a database on who's buying ammo.
I am reluctant to join the fray on this one but have made a large number of online ammo purchases from reputable dealers and never once been asked for photo ID - just visa for payment - which of course can also be used - as can my shipping address.

Despite the fact that I have nothing to hide and they already know who I am I still wouldn’t give photo ID to buy anything online.

Unless you were in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina and the National Guard was confiscating your guns. One instance does not a conspiracy make, but it did happen here in the good ol' US of A.
The best conspiracies have no actual instances. ;)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back