Caribou Gear

Walmart not selling handgun ammo?

Calif. Hunter

The new law here in California requiring thumbprints, etc. to buy handgun ammo does not go into effect until Feb 2011, but I overheard a clerk in Walmart's sporting goods department that they do not sell any handgun ammo... Is this a new national policy for them, or are they just jumping the gun?

I had noticed a trend here that the Walmarts were reducing or eliminating most of their ammo sales other than shotgun. Lots of clay birds, shotshell bags/belts, trap vests, too. Some of the cities do not allow them to sell ammo, or make it so restrictive that they decide not to sell it.

Wal-Mart still has plenty here. Doesn't mean that won't change though.

I think it is a "California thing." The State and Local governments are making it difficult and increasing the paperwork/licensing burden to the point where the liability and hassle is just too great. That is the reason Walmart stopped selling guns in California - an audit of their paperwork showed too many mistakes made by the poorly-trained clerks, or someone filling in for someone else in that department, etc. I believe Walmart settled the issue by agreeing to stop selling firearms.

Back