Colorado Springs Scheels opens TOMORROW!!!!

SFC B

Our new store opens tomorrow!! I will be selling guns PT but my first shift isn't until Tuesday. Took the wife and HP to the store today for the family preview and even after listening to me for the last 3 months of training they were impressed. Here are a couple of insider tips:

1) We have a TON of firearms and ammo inventory NOW. They have been stockpiling/ordering since they knew the store was coming and our gun room is full!! Due to demand there are some limits a) ammo is limited to 3 boxes (whatever sized boxes are- and we do have some range sized boxes) b) Semi auto handguns and AR/Tactical shotguns will be limited to 1 per customer (to stop folks from buying a bunch and flipping if they are first in the door) c) There are limits on reloading as well although I don't know them exactly (ammo and reloading are separate lines). d) We WILL accept phone purchases of guns (pay then, come in a do the 4473) but will NOT be putting guns on "hold" or shipping them to other FFLs

2) The lines has already started. As of 1400 this afternoon there were already 6 people and 2 tents in line in front of the store. Traffic is going to be BAD coming off the interstate so plan accordingly. BTW, there are a Great Wolf Lodge and a Drury Inn adjacent to our parking lot (along with a LOT of restaurants within a couple blocks).

3) We have a 5% military discount on regularly priced items (including guns). In the alternative we will price match ANY LEGIT retailer (including guns - like from Buds)!!!

4) If you are a person that uses reward credit cards here are the main points of the Scheels Visa......with approval you get a $50 gift certificate to use as you please (including on that first purchase and no minimum purchase to use), 6 months no interest on all purchases $500 and above, no annual fee, 3x pts on Scheels purchases/ 1x on everywhere else, automatic $25 gift card for every 2500 points, and additional year of warranty on all products purchased in Scheels with the card. Tell them you heard spiel from Larry Born #100926 and I will get credit for it :)

If you have any questions I might be able to answer please feel free to ask.

BTW, we DO have the Randy Gerber knives in stock!!!!

I have a question. When does the Missoula, Montana store open? Hoping for insider info. mtmuley

My favorite part of working there is that we are continually told to do whatever it takes to make customers happy. Leadership is pretty great to work with.....you can tell it is employee and family owned.
Yup the service there is what makes them imo.

Closest is like 4 hours, wish we had one closer. Bass pro and cabelas suck.
I bought a new box call, box call chalk, and plano gear tote yesterday at cabelas with a gift card I've had forever. The girl at the register asked me what the "mini wooden box thing" was. 😄 i could be wrong but im pretty sure every employee at scheels knows what a box call is from my experiences at them.

I bought a new box call, box call chalk, and plano gear tote yesterday at cabelas with a gift card I've had forever. The girl at the register asked me what the "mini wooden box thing" was. 😄 i could be wrong but im pretty sure every employee at scheels knows what a box call is from my experiences at them.
I was told by an employee there, that they only hire of you've git experience in that department. Seems logical to me?

We have a Scheels, a Bass Pro, and a Sportsmans Warehouse all in the greater Des Moines area and Scheels is hands down the best sporting goods store. Best selections, best customer service, best everything.

I was told by an employee there, that they only hire of you've git experience in that department. Seems logical to me?
The company motto about that is "They have to be experts out there before we call them experts in here." They are much less interested in retail experience and more interested in practical experience. That is why they spend the money on the training (they pay us to go to the range and shoot when reps bring their lines) and why we can only sell in the department we are part of. Force instance, I can only sell guns, ammo and optics (unless folks want to purchase stuff ancillary to a gun purchase - like gun cases, hunting equipment, etc). Another cool thing, a bunch of the taxidermy on our walls is from folks working in the store.....Cody from archery has a really sweet bull hanging over our gun safes ;)

The company motto about that is "They have to be experts out there before we call them experts in here." They are much less interested in retail experience and more interested in practical experience. That is why they spend the money on the training (they pay us to go to the range and shoot when reps bring their lines) and why we can only sell in the department we are part of. Force instance, I can only sell guns, ammo and optics (unless folks want to purchase stuff ancillary to a gun purchase - like gun cases, hunting equipment, etc). Another cool thing, a bunch of the taxidermy on our walls is from folks working in the store.....Cody from archery has a really sweet bull hanging over our gun safes ;)
That's how you do good customer service. Kinda makes you wonder why other businesses cant figure that out, so simple.

Last edited:
We have a Scheels, a Bass Pro, and a Sportsmans Warehouse all in the greater Des Moines area and Scheels is hands down the best sporting goods store. Best selections, best customer service, best everything.
Southern WI needs a Scheels

Iowa City might be your closest. The conservative family/employee owned nature of the company keeps expansion metered.

That’s really cool

I did a bunch of finish work in the Sparks store when they opened it years ago. The original contractor screwed up bad and they kicked him out. Then the company gave me blank check to red label a mass of parts so we could finish before their opening in a couple days. I was impressed by the company and I’ve been a customer ever since. It was crazy to be in that huge building with no interior walls and to see the crazy back stock area and conveyor belt system. I’m planning on buying my first bow with them in a couple weeks.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back