Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Walleyes one good one

oleefish2

We caught 35 walleyes and 2 perch today. We kept 10 from 16 inches to 28. The lake we are fishing does not reproduce because it does not have spawning grounds so it does not matter if you keep a big one. 108372

I'm going walleye fishing next week for five days and I hope I can match 35 in that many days. To do it in one is crazy!

Back in the 70s I use to fish at lake Seminoe in WY. It had a limit of 20 Walleyes and catching a limit was easy, but catching fish over 12 inches was the hard part. I was casting a yellow Mr twister one day and decided to see how many fish I could catch in 1 hour? I ended up with 28 walleyes but only 3 were keepers over 12 inches. I had a 5 ft ultra light with 4 lb test and that made it fun and when you did hook something special it got wild. My all time best walleye came from that lake and it was 36 inches on that rig. We let her go, she was lean from the spawn so I guess her weight at about 13 lbs. Sorry to say I have not ventured to that lake in years sine I have a 6 mile trip to one and a 28 mile trip to the one with the picture above. I have been a fishing addict since I learned to walk and fish about 75 plus days a year.

Very nice! Grats! Fishing certainly clears the mind.

What's your preferred way to serve walleye? Has to be some favored experience

I like to grill it with a lemon/garlic/butter sauce. I leave the skin on and when I grill it, skin side down and high heat. Stir fried with a light coating of corn starch to make it stay crispy. Walley tacos with mango salsa extra yum. to name a few

Anyone ever tried paper bag walleye on the grill? A buddy does it and says it’s amazing. I always pan fry with a cornmeal based breading after rolling in egg. Pretty hard to beat. Walleye is a softer fish and I feel like it needs to be crispy on the outside to be good.

I like to grill it with a lemon/garlic/butter sauce. I leave the skin on and when I grill it, skin side down and high heat. Stir fried with a light coating of corn starch to make it stay crispy. Walley tacos with mango salsa extra yum. to name a few

Anyone ever tried paper bag walleye on the grill? A buddy does it and says it’s amazing.
I never heard of using a brown paper bag. I just looked it up care of Google...
Does the brown paper bag work for the purpose of maintaining moisture in the fish or is it mainly a pretty cool and convenient method to remove the skin?

I've never grilled walleye. On my to do list now though. My go to for walleye and halibut is to cube or strip cut roll in egg --> fine crumbs seasoned with sugar and spices --> drop in hot olive oil.

On my to do list is salt crusted walleye like they do with sea bass and stripers hole. My next good one will be saved for that.

Nice pile of fish, 28 is a good one.

Personally, I never apologize or need to explain why I keep a big fish. If it's legal and I want to eat it, I'm taking it home.

I can’t remeber the last time I got big eyes when it was bright and sunny! No fair! I’m getting too old to stay up all night!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back