Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Waiting on the bulls?

cloudbase

I Google Earth scouted a new spot for elk a couple weeks ago, then finally put boots to ground last Saturday. It was better than I expected, saw a group of at least 25 elk immediately (a long ways off) but by the time I got all the way up there, I only glassed up a few spikes and cows as they were heading to bed. Second time in on Tuesday, I didn't see elk in the bowl from the weekend but guessed they'd be on the other side of the ridge in the draw to the south and a little further up - and heck, they sure were. But despite my much earlier start, I had that much further to go and again, only glassed up a few cows and calves as they were putting to bed (9-10am).

There's great sign all over, and for good reason: it's over 3000' elevation gain from the trailhead to where I am seeing them, in less than 1.5 miles. Steep is a word for it, sure. Most of the hunters I've seen have been on horseback, and they stick to the low-down trail and head in miles deeper. And no one on foot seems crazy enough to want to hike into this little sanctuary, they've all been in the very bottom.

Here's my question for y'all: what is the likelihood that I will find a legal branch bull in this area? Are they still around the cows and spikes, or are they on a completely different program this time of year? I would happily shoot anything that walked in front of me, but unfortunately this is a brow-tine-bull-only unit. I only have so many days to hunt, and I don't want to put in that many long, steep, exhausting days if I'm just ringing my bell hanging out with the cows, calves, and spikes. What would you do? Stick around? Look higher? Hunt someplace else?

I think right now, my plan is to get up about 2000' and camp there, so I'm only 500-1000ft below where I need to be at legal light (or before, if the moon and snow give the assist) so I can be sure to glass the whole group for headgear and not just the stragglers heading into the timber. If I don't get any love in those two little bowls, there's another little meadow up higher that is secluded, steep and gnarly, that sounds just like what winter bulls like. Not sure if there's a decent vantage to glass that meadow, but I may just bumble in there and look for sign if I don't have a good spot to peek at it.

22853149_10156258672415628_3818117395969318913_n.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if a legal bull shows up later in the season if there is good feed and they arnt being pressured. It sounds to me like your not seeing all the elk in there. Prob should get up there for very 1st light and glass as much of it as u can. There could already be a couple bulls in the area that are heading to bed befor the last of the cows do

Last edited:
Welp, I've suckered a buddy of mine into doing some serious winter camping in here this weekend. I'm curious to see how the 1-2ft of snow we've gotten will affect things, but I know it'll be a crazy fun time regardless. As I heard once on an episode of the Moth podcast, "You either have a good time, or a good story." Hell, that should be my sig line.

some branch antlered bulls are probably within a mile. glass the higher, rougher, and deeper RIGHT at first light.

some branch antlered bulls are probably within a mile. glass the higher, rougher, and deeper RIGHT at first light.

I'd say you are close. My experience has been the bulls that come back with the cows post rut are the smaller raghorns. I wouldn't concentrate on the numbers of elk. I'd look for the bulls that are off by themselves. With new snow, you may have success finding bull tracks that lead into their bedding area and be able to catch them at first or last light. Large singles or several large tracks is what you are looking for.
Given the large numbers you are finding, I'm guessing you have found an area where all the elk feel safe. Bulls value safety above all else this time of year.

Good luck! I hope your good time includes a nice bull!

I worked with a guy who taught me a lot about this.. Montana boy, former guide, he'd say about 10 words a day. A bunch of us would see a large herd of elk while working, mostly cows and spikes, some rags, and we'd be staring at them and commenting.. And after a few moments Kevin would be pointing off in a different direction and drawl, "there's a nice bull right there.."

Waiting may be over now. Lots of snow coming down! Perhaps now the opposite problem; getting around in 2 feet of snow!

I'm not too scared of the snow after my husband's mountain goat hunt a couple weeks ago. I now know that I'm capable of breaking trail while packing half my body weight nearly two miles in thigh-deep snow. I might look like a tiny 118lb lady, but this hunting thing is making me tougher than I ever thought possible. So I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Makes me think of that year we were 5 miles back elk hunting in the Madison and a guy on horseback looked at us on foot with backpacks and said, "Well what are you going to do if you kill one?" The reply being pack it out, of course, but laughing about it later we came up with the best possible witty retort: "We're really, really hungry, we're just going to eat it here."

Be careful coming out that steep stuff with all that meat! :D

Especially with a heavy pack loaded with meat.
Lots of good advice here, the best of which is to be at your glassing spot at first light.
Good luck on your hunt.

Waiting may be over now. Lots of snow coming down! Perhaps now the opposite problem; getting around in 2 feet of snow!

Not a lie.. I was out at them at 7000' ASL yesterday and there was 1-2' of fresh snow, with more falling. Almost got stuck in a couple places.

Back