vortex or leupold cheap binos?

Wow... just putting it out there, Sportsmans Warehouse has their Leupold event with some good prices. I picked up a pair of BX-2 10x52 a couple weeks ago and am very happy with them.

Pentax doesn't get the name recognition in hunting circles very often. These look pretty good and 33% off. I know, not what you asked but these are solid given your price point.

Optic quality and origin of manufacture seem to be strongly correlated. Chinese is junk, Philippines is better, Japan and USA is good, German glass is the best. Price obviously plays a price as well.

I need to buy a gift for a landowner. Heck, I just killed a moose next to his property and he helped us get it out among other nice things he did like letting me camp on his land for weeks. He has absolute junk binos and lots of beautiful wildlife to look at on his land and I thought an upgrade to 10x42 binos of either of these models would be nice.

$179 Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42 in timber camo (cabela exclusive color) (or just the regular nonHD diamondback at $149

HD specs below

Objective Size (mm)
Color
Model Number
Size
Eye Relief
FOV
Close Focus Distance
Availability
Price & Quantity
Click to display additional attributes for the product
42mm

Green
DB-205
5.8" ; 21.4 oz.
15mm
330' @ 1000 Yards
6.7'

or

$199 Leupold BX-2 Alpine HD

Magnification
Objective Size (mm)
Color
Model Number
Size
Eye Relief
FOV
Availability
Price & Quantity
10X
42mm

Shadow Gray
24.3 OZ
15 mm
342' @ 1000 Yds

If I were Joe Q landowner, I would prefer 25# of vac sealed moose steaks over a pair of binos. :)

Farmer... What is a significant amount of hunting land to you? I've got 1100 acres I'll let you hunt if you're giving out $1,200 binos!!!

I did my first western trip with a pair of 10x42 bushnells. They were horrible. Upgraded to the Vortex and compared to my crappy ones, these are pretty awesome. They're not the sworo's I've used, or the Razors, but for the price, they're awesome. I would imagine the landowner would have the same feelings I had when I upgraded.

Good luck to all this season.

Farmer... What is a significant amount of hunting land to you? I've got 1100 acres I'll let you hunt if you're giving out $1,200 binos!!!

I did my first western trip with a pair of 10x42 bushnells. They were horrible. Upgraded to the Vortex and compared to my crappy ones, these are pretty awesome. They're not the sworo's I've used, or the Razors, but for the price, they're awesome. I would imagine the landowner would have the same feelings I had when I upgraded.

Good luck to all this season.
Have you checked out the cost of a hunting lease?

Where’s the 1100 acres at?

I have a pair of vortex diamondback 10x50s from 5 years ago I think. I have never had an issue, and they perform great on a tripod. Leopold are nice for the price but whatever coatings they use does not work with my eyeballs and doesn't come out as clear for me. End up with a knarly headache after about 5 mins thru Leopold. But they seem well made when I hold them in my hands for sure.

idk if vortex quality has gone down hill or what but my 5 year old binos have been great.

Maven makes a good sent of glass too at a similar price point.

I think your fine with any of those tho, nice of you to offer a free gift. If the landowner is anything like me they have a hard time justifying buying something nice for themselves. Gifts are always appreciated.

I have not. 2 areas of land. 1 is about 900 acres and the other is a little over 200 acres, in Central Minnesota.

Most leases are running $150-250 PER DAY.

The few I’ve looked are around meeker/kandi/wright/McLeod counties have been $1000-$1500 annually just for deer. For maybe 200-300 acres.

Guys are taking their land out of WIA because those leases pay better than what the DNR is offering I’ve been told.

I grew up around and with farmers. I get the value of their lands and what it means to them.

A $1200 bino is pretty cheap for that kind of access.

Personally, I like to offer free labor.

You never know about ranchers. I gave a guy a 7x35 Leitz Wetzlar and he said it was "too nice" and went right back to his cheap pair.

I went to gift certificates from Cabela's (before Bass Pro).

If I was going to spend $200 on a pair of binocs then I would take a look at sightron

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back