Caribou Gear

vortex or leupold cheap binos?

Khunter

I need to buy a gift for a landowner. Heck, I just killed a moose next to his property and he helped us get it out among other nice things he did like letting me camp on his land for weeks. He has absolute junk binos and lots of beautiful wildlife to look at on his land and I thought an upgrade to 10x42 binos of either of these models would be nice.

$179 Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42 in timber camo (cabela exclusive color) (or just the regular nonHD diamondback at $149

HD specs below

Objective Size (mm)
Color
Model Number
Size
Eye Relief
FOV
Close Focus Distance
Availability
Price & Quantity
Click to display additional attributes for the product
42mm

Green
DB-205
5.8" ; 21.4 oz.
15mm
330' @ 1000 Yards
6.7'

or

$199 Leupold BX-2 Alpine HD

Magnification
Objective Size (mm)
Color
Model Number
Size
Eye Relief
FOV
Availability
Price & Quantity
10X
42mm

Shadow Gray
24.3 OZ
15 mm
342' @ 1000 Yds

I have purchased the Vortex Diamondback 10x42s for the exact same purpose - landowner gift. And I messed with them for a bit and was pretty impressed. Were they as same as Swaro Els...No...but they were definitely decent for wildlife watching. $179 seem slike a great price...thought they were usually over $200.

Folks do knock Vortex a lot, but I’ve found their cheap glass to be good for what it is. I used the next step lower than those for a while before finding a deal on some used high end binos.

My GF just ordered a pair of them on sale. Wish I had them in hand to give a better review.

I’m sure the gesture will be appreciated regardless.

I say get them these

Somebody handed me a pair of vortex, I’d invite them to leave and never come back.

Leupold Would get you invited back.

Last edited:
I say get them these

Somebody handed me a pair of vortex, I’d invite them to leave and never come back.

LOL. i would give 8x30 to people I detest.

I say get them these

Bold of you to assume I'd want to come back... You sound like the kind of guy I wouldn't want to hunt with then anyway...

I need to buy a gift for a landowner. Heck, I just killed a moose next to his property and he helped us get it out among other nice things he did like letting me camp on his land for weeks. He has absolute junk binos and lots of beautiful wildlife to look at on his land and I thought an upgrade to 10x42 binos of either of these models would be nice.

$179 Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42 in timber camo (cabela exclusive color) (or just the regular nonHD diamondback at $149

HD specs below

Objective Size (mm)
Color
Model Number
Size
Eye Relief
FOV
Close Focus Distance
Availability
Price & Quantity
Click to display additional attributes for the product
42mm

Green
DB-205
5.8" ; 21.4 oz.
15mm
330' @ 1000 Yards
6.7'

or

$199 Leupold BX-2 Alpine HD

Magnification
Objective Size (mm)
Color
Model Number
Size
Eye Relief
FOV
Availability
Price & Quantity
10X
42mm

Shadow Gray
24.3 OZ
15 mm
342' @ 1000 Yds

Either one of those in the HD version would be a great gift!

I have the Diamond Backs as my knock around/ leave in truck binos. They have been fine, but I've had better luck with Leupold. As others have said, name recognition alone would steer me to Leupold if giving a gift.

Bold of you to assume I'd want to come back... You sound like the kind of guy I wouldn't want to hunt with then anyway...
If you’re “giving me a gift”, what other reason would it be for?

It is for a “land owner gift” to tell him “thanks for letting me have access to your property.”

The correct answer would be to find out what brand he has a preference for.

I have had nothing but bad luck with any vortex product I’ve tried. If his experience has been the same but he’s a huge fan of Burris, then get him Burris binos. Or even Simmons if that’s the guys preference.

Find out what his personal brand loyalty lies with.

The reputation of vortex would have me off that brand in a heart beat.

My remaining warranty replacement scope will likely go to my semi mechanic since he’s a huge vortex advocate.

Pretty bold of you to assume you won’t want to hunt with me anyway since you’ve never interacted here with me at all. Not have you even remotely attempted to get to know who I really am.

I don’t fall for or following the marketing. I see and observe what works for others and myself and go with it. I’m not upgrading everything every season just because that’s what the marketing company is pushing as latest and greatest.

Enjoy your corner of the woods. I’ll go enjoy mine.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back