Vin Scully

Vin Scully was sort of like a quiet narrator, a constant voice in the background of my grandparents house. Hard to remember being there when there wasn't a Dodgers game on. Scully and my grandpa go hand-in-hand in my mind, and I sort of love him for that, to say nothing for his incredible, encyclopedic storytelling and master narration. Sorry to see him go.

I grew up with Vinnie calling games from my grandpas radio and dad's. Grandpa listening to Vinnie with a pipe in his mouth. Dad mowing the lawn(pushmower) with a beer and a transistor radio in the shade.
The Dodgers had just moved to LA and I even went to a game with grandpa @ Wrigley Stadium, in LA... the Cubs original spring training one.
For a while the Dodgers played at the Collisium ,and Vinnie became their voice.
The new Angels played there too when they arrived.
Then we watched Chavez Ravine turn into Dodger Stadium and I watched dozens of games there in my life. Vinnies voice was the Dodgers. It was baseball at it's best.
RIP Vinnie!

I've always been partial to the M's commentators, Dave Niehaus (RIP) and Rick Rizz, and whenever I hear another teams announcers I'm more impressed with the quality I get to listen to on an almost daily occurrence in the summer... but Mr. Scully was next level, just the right voice, demeanor, and cadence for a baseball game.

I'm in my early 30's so I don't have memories of his earlier days but enjoyed hearing him call games growing up as a dodgers fan thanks to my dad. When I was a kid I could pick up the L.A. dodgers A.M. station on my walkman 3 hours south of us and I'd fall asleep listening to Vin calling the game most nights during baseball season.

One of the things I appreciated most about him was his knowledge of the players on the opposing team. He was always proud of representing the dodgers but genuinely loved baseball and all of it's players.

As a kid my cousin's father took us to Dodger games, first base seats. Vin Scully is the voice that echos within the stadium.

He historically announced:
"What a marvelous moment... For the country and the world! A black man is getting a standing ovation..." -Vin Scully
*Hank Aaron's 715th home run.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back