Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Video of bivy hunting turkeys

hawkeye270

I got my tom after 21 miles of backpacking! I know that's a lot of ground to cover for a bird but its about more than just that tasty turkey breast. My girlfriend was along for the ride and kept pace the entire time... looks like I've got a new backpacking partner.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqQOHQVUsvo

After setting up camp Friday evening, I left Maria in camp and set out to try to find a roost to be set up near the following morning (opening day). I hadn't covered a half mile before spotting a black bear (chocolate phase with a blond saddle) feeding on a scrub oak covered hillside. I ran back to camp and grabbed the video camera and took Maria to see her first Colorado bear... she was excited to say the least.

Opening morning found us covering some serious ground looking for responsive birds but none were to be found. We did spot two strutting toms but they were not in the mood for turkey prattle. We headed back to camp for an afternoon ciesta. I slept for about an hour and began reading a book in order to give Maria a little more rest before heading out for the evening hunt. To my disbelief, just before waking Maria, a thunderous gobble shook the tent stakes loose. I couldn't tell if I was dreaming or not! I quickly woke up Maria and started throwing on my boots. Every time I'd yelp, he'd gobble in response. I'd then cut and putt and he'd gobble right back. He started coming around the hill on a route that would expose the tent (where Maria was filming) so I cupped my hands and threw my calls off to the other side. He cooperated and came to the calls and stayed out of sight of the tent. When he got to about 35 yards... I clucked. He stopped and I harvested this years tom.

It was a great hunt but I've already eaten all the meat... can't wait for next year!

Attachments

• 2012Tom.jpg
    2012Tom.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 492
  • 2012TurkHunt1.jpg
    2012TurkHunt1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 844
Very cool! Enjoyed watching the video. Makes me wish I still had a tag cuz hunting those gobblers is a ton of fun. You put in some hard work and it paid off. Congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back