Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Video games

I don’t know what it is about those YouTube kids. Both of mine watch shows on YouTube. My daughter watches these families who film everything they do and my son watches kids play with tractors.

Both of the kids have a basement full of toys and a huge yard with sand boxes and swings, etc, etc, etc. My wife works for the toy tractor company that the kids my son watches play with so he has about 4 of every toy they use in their videos.

It will come as no surprise to most on here, I have noticed a lot of the families my daughter watch who video everything and do these stupid challenges are from Utah. It seems Utah is not only the land of hunting influencers, but influencers all together.

Another thing that I have noticed that they all have in common is it seems the parents are using the kids t make these videos. They have figured out they are just an average Joe but if their kid gets famous from YouTube being a kid they will get the spotlight too.
F’n Ninja Kidz and A for Assholes. FML…

As a kid, I recall commodore Vic 20, "Bard's Tale" and Activision, Pong(?).

Difference, I suppose, having friends over or over at friends house?

Now days, kids and adults are able to chat via Discord, join MMORPG's, Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games.

What's the difference? Welcome to the modern means of socializing.

Have to ask yourself, you use FB? Instagram? The days of joining in person reduce, the days of joining through games or social media are the present and... Future.

Reminds me of the, "When I was a kid I hiked uphill to school both ways, In five foot snow drifts!"

Haha! Just have to get them out of the house more... And ourselves.

We never played video games a kid. We would ride our bikes to the park outside of town and fish, creek stomp, swim, and build forts. We would be sledding in the winter time, capture the flag was almost every night in the summer if we weren’t camping. And by camping I don’t mean setting up the fifth wheel with more square footage than our house, I mean a tent.

When I got to college everyone in the dorms played video games or would sit in the room and watch other kids play video games. I never understood the allure and I still don’t.

But I have my own vices, I should lead by example and put this dam thing down.

Since schools were closed in the Pandemic we have had what is called virtual learning days. They no longer have snow days that extend the school year into the summer. Not extending the school year into June is nice for planning vacations and for the teachers but I fondly remember snow days. We'd have to shovel about every sidewalk and driveway in the neighborhood and then we would get to go sledding the rest of the day. The hill was across the street at the elementary school and we would always build huge ramps on the hill. At the bottom of the hill was a spring creek and we would get water from the creek to freeze the ramp. Older kids at the elementary were allowed to bring their sleds, but not to build ramps, so the PE teacher would have to bust the ramp with a sledge hammer the following day when school was back in session before anyone could go out for recess. You knew you had a fast sled when you could make it down to the bottom where the creek was at. Someone usually had to walk home with frozen boots from going in the creek.

First and only game I played was Pacman. Couldn't figure out what all the hubbub was about.🤣

Alright alright, I’m gonna lay some facts down here. This has been such a thorn in my side for a long time where people say that video games are bad.

Not only is that untrue (in moderation of course) I would maybe argue that video games have its benefits.

Let’s not take away the “game” part in video game. There is a puzzle within all games whether it be a board game, card game or video game. There’s a challenge to solve. There’s teamwork to be had. There’s a want to win. A video game, at its core, is no different than a board game. I feel that it sharpens thinking skills.

The real problem with video games is the influencers/streamers/social media stars playing that same game. Spend a few hours on twitch or YouTube livestreams and you’ll see. Fortnite is a competitive game, just like basketball. But you throw in a toxic POS and your young’ns see that, they think that’s how it’s supposed to be. Hell, look at the NBA. Everyone wants to shoot the 3 ball now.

Video games are okay in moderation. When it’s excessive and they start freaking out and cussing out the opponent and calling them trash, it’s risky business. But my guess is they learned it from someone else who does that who then learned it from a streamer.

@mtmuley , I frequent HT and Rokslide, and use Whatsapp. Other than that, I and my family don't do social media, either.

@mtmuley , I frequent HT and Rokslide, and use Whatsapp. Other than that, I and my family don't do social media, either.
I watch TV and mess around on the web both. My point was TV is less harmful than the internet. At least to me. And yeah, responsible use is possible. My kids had access to both growing up. Under my and their Mother's watchful eye. mtmuley

Agree that the internet is it's own set of issues, for sure.

Irresistible, a book by Adam Alter is a great read on the topic....

Since schools were closed in the Pandemic we have had what is called virtual learning days. They no longer have snow days that extend the school year into the summer. Not extending the school year into June is nice for planning vacations and for the teachers but I fondly remember snow days. We'd have to shovel about every sidewalk and driveway in the neighborhood and then we would get to go sledding the rest of the day. The hill was across the street at the elementary school and we would always build huge ramps on the hill. At the bottom of the hill was a spring creek and we would get water from the creek to freeze the ramp. Older kids at the elementary were allowed to bring their sleds, but not to build ramps, so the PE teacher would have to bust the ramp with a sledge hammer the following day when school was back in session before anyone could go out for recess. You knew you had a fast sled when you could make it down to the bottom where the creek was at. Someone usually had to walk home with frozen boots from going in the creek.

My last three years of high school we lived 37 miles from the school on a winding twisting road. School was at 500’ elev, our house at nearly 4000’.
“We” (my family) had a VERY different definition of a snow day…

My dad was a logger. The last 3.7 miles to our house was off the highway and half of that unpaved. If the snow got deep he’d have me take the Cat 950 to the bus stop so I could “plow” the road on the way home from school. I was the only kid at the bus stop in a front-end loader lol…at least it was full cab and heated 🤷🏻‍♂️

My last three years of high school we lived 37 miles from the school on a winding twisting road. School was at 500’ elev, our house at nearly 4000’.
“We” (my family) had a VERY different definition of a snow day…

My dad was a logger. The last 3.7 miles to our house was off the highway and half of that unpaved. If the snow got deep he’d have me take the Cat 950 to the bus stop so I could “plow” the road on the way home from school. I was the only kid at the bus stop in a front-end loader lol…at least it was full cab and heated 🤷🏻‍♂️
If I would have had a front end loader at my disposal when I was in high school I would have got in a lot of trouble.

Yes the family vlogs on YouTube seem to be the worst culprits. Hide and seek isn't the same in our 4 bed/2 bath house as it is in some of these kids' McMansions.

Had my 6 year old want to start doing "challenges". Jokes on you bud, have you heard of the new "clean up your room in under 3 minutes challenge" Or what about the "no-talking bed time challenge"? Have come up with some pretty epic ones if I do say so myself.

I can't understand watching a kid play with their toys on the internet vs playing with her own but what do I know. She's fashioned her own "phone" with a scrap piece of cardboard and will sit and "scroll" through that for quite some time. Obviously mirroring mom and dad so that's pretty sad. There's a fine line between these kids being glued to the screen and the fact that this is society today, where a great deal of technology is needed for even basic jobs.

All the stuff that keeps me up at night.

It's also a different world than we all grew up in. I can't imagine letting my kid cut loose during the summer doing whatever they want, just too many weirdos in the world anymore. Definitely tough during the long winters here to try and get them out and active.

As far as snow days, for the most part they get sent home with the days work the night before they are expecting inclement weather. Fortunately it takes about 20 minutes to knock out all the work, but I fondly remember being able to do whatever I want on snow days with no thought of school.

my kids will never, let me repeat, never ever have a freaking video game. lt's not just kids now ether, some of my coworkers are in their mid 20s early 30s and stupid video games are all they can talk about.

I have a coworker in his mid 40s that was training me on a job. He would play a game on his phone all day and if I had questions about the job he would get totally pissed that he had to pause his game. I went to 3rd shift and trained with a different guy. I learned more in one week on 3rd shift than in 6 weeks with the middle aged child.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back