PEAX Equipment

Very possible move TX to MT

Had a guy come up here from down south for a job interview. He didn't bring a coat and it got 20 below. Then he got in a car accident. We stopped doing winter interviews after that...

Now isn't the best time to visit MT, but the sun might come out and give you something to look at. It was usually the wife who didn't want to move so make sure you spend some time selling it to her.

I don't mind Billings...not sure I like city living so I'd consider the outlying towns. Take a look at the Billings Gazette because there is some serious crazy stuff going on there.

The plus side is Cabelas, Costco, Sams Club, Big R, Big Bear, and soon to be a monsterous Scheels all within 5-10 miles. Breweries galore...my favorites are Angry Hanks and Carter's Brewing (open on Sundays too)

Hunting and fishing are close...word from the wise having a #3 on your license plate could be considered bad so think about getting one of the 100 or so specialty plates. ;)

Testify! MT plates reveal geo info unless you go specialty. Ditch the geo. My father in law grew up in Helena in the 1930s and the Helena boys would battle with Butte, Billings, etc boys that rolled through town trying to get their women, ha ha.

I don't have a clue what the license plate code talk is....please elaborate.

Also, does anyone have job ideas for my wife...? Her undergrad is education and her masters is education administration. So far none of the schools seem to have openings yet, but that should be changing as teacher contracts are coming up for renew/non renew soon.

Just looking for something to hold us through until a school jobs comes around for her....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The first numbers on the license plate are the geo code for the area in MT. For example: 15-xxxx would be Lake county. No big deal. You will love it here in MT. If you have children, MT is great place to raise a family. No sales tax, register your ATV one time. Yes, there is income tax but not that bad. Look for charter schools for your wife to work. Enjoy! MTG

Good luck. Billings sounds like a decent place, compared to Lubbock you will be smack in the middle of a lot of cool country. Folks there don't realize that it is a 4 hour drive from here just to get somewhere will more than a few hundred feet of elevation change.

Just ignore the oil refinery stuff and pretend it isn't there. Unless you work there you will only notice it driving by on the interstate.

Public hunting and fishing opportunities there will be better than what you could find on a $$$$$ lease around here.

The normal license plates have a number that indicates the country the vehicle is registered. For example, the plate for a vehicle registered in the Billings area will begin with a 3. Bozeman is 6, Butte is 1, etc. The theory is that people don't like the big city folks from Billings so get a specialty plate, but once they hear your accent you're gunna be screwed anyway ;)

Yeah, you might want to tell folks you are from Australia or somewhere like that. Don't open a conversation up with "Hey ya'll, I'm from Texas". In Montana it's "you guys" even if it's a group of women. Also it's "pop", not cokes. You don't wear an outfit you drive it. Coulees are all over up there too...

The specialty plates are 3 letters/3 numbers, IE AAA 111, cost a little bit more that goes to support some non-profit. For example, there is a RMEF plate with an elk on it.

This replaces the standard numbering system that shows county of registration on the plate. From a Bozeman guy who moved to Missoula... It's worth the $$ to not be hassled about football rivalries by some drunken passerby.

Awesome, I am probably screwed being that my pickup will be a company pickup....lol

I will make sure and get the rmef plates for my wife's tahoe.

I can only hope our drawl wears off quickly to avoid stares from the locals lol!

You'll be fine and MT is a great place to live and play. All the talk about one city fighting another because of where your from is ridiculous. MT is also used to people moving in from other states by now. You'll love it and good luck.

All the talk about one city fighting another because of where your from is ridiculous.

It may be ridiculous, but I sure as heck try not be in the wrong place at the wrong time during Cat-Griz in November. Luckily I'm usually in the hills attempting to put meat in the freezer and trying to be in the right place at the right time. :)

I have lived in Billing almost my whole life. There are going to be plenty of outdoor recreational activities for you, your wife, and family. I hunt from Sept. 1 to Dec. 1., downhill ski in the winter (Red Lodge Mtn), backpack - fish - camp in the Summer, and there are plenty of activities to do in between what I just mentioned (Spring turkey, Spring bear, snowmobiling, ice fishing, etc., etc., etc.) Then if you purchase a house . . . you have to make time to mow the lawn, shovel snow, home improvements. Your going to fill your time here. Bottomline . . . . Montana and more specifically, Billings, has good people. You're going to run out of money before you run out of activities.

Billings passed a School levy and based on this; School District 2 (Billings) is going to build two new Middle Schools. One (in the Billings Heights) will start construction this year and the other (on the Westend) will start after the new "heights" school is completed. With the two new Middle Schools there should be some opening for teachers.

Good luck to you. If you more questions. . . private message me and I may be able to help.

My wife is a teacher in Billings. She started out at Shepherd then applied at Billings. If nothing is open then have her sub, then she can make some contacts and that should help get her into the system. Billings is a good "city" but you have to drive a few hours to get to most good hunting and fishing.

John

Tomorrow is the day I find out what the future holds in store for my family. I'm super excited to see the place I hope to be calling home soon.

Keep us in your prayers if you would please.

Welcome to Montana. Please tell all your friends how brutal the winters are and how the hunting/fishing is overrated.

Had a great first visit to Montana this week. I accepted the job this morning. Now the fun begins.....it is amazing the amount of shit I've managed to pack away in my shed and garage. Bonfire time!

I should be a resident within a month and I cannot wait!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back