Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Very possible move TX to MT

raiderbowhunter

I am looking at quite possibly moving from Lubbock, TX to Billings, MT here soon for work.

I'm scared to death as well as excited like a 5 yr old on Christmas morning.

I would love to hear any pros/cons from all the Montanans on hear. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm 2 hours south of Billings, you are going to love the area. Mountains and having 4 seasons are awesome!!

I live in Billings. You'll love it. Just like you Texans call it the Great State of Texas....to me, Billings is the Great City/Town of Billings. PM sent.

Texas is wonderful in many ways but sucks in the way that matters most to us western guys, no appreciable public land. If you live for the outdoors and hunting, the choice is beyond simple.

You can easily move back to Texas, most western hunters who live for the hunt don't. Your mileage may vary. Good luck and never fear change.

KHunter (former Texan)

Billings is the town in Montana that is closest to what I imagine Texas to be like: Conservative, big, kinda smelly...In my neck of the woods we call it the Capital of West Dakota.

But really, beautiful Country all around. A couple hours to the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness and Montana's highest peaks, a couple hours from some of Montana's most gorgeous country along the Musselshell, the longest undammed river in the lower 48 floats by, pretty much the gateway to Eastern Montana and all the outdoor opportunities that country has to offer. You'll love it.

I am looking at quite possibly moving from Lubbock, TX to Billings

You can almost see Billings from Lubbock.:D

Best of luck, I'd go in a minute were my family young.

Billings is great. It's right on the Yellowstone and very close to the Beartooth Mountains and the A-B Wilderness which is my favorite place in the world. If you are there this summer, make sure you get a map, a fishing pole, drive the Beartooth Highway, and pick trailheads to hike and lonely lakes to fish. More beautiful backcountry than you can imagine with a lot of hungry trout. You'll think you're in Heaven

I don't mind Billings...not sure I like city living so I'd consider the outlying towns. Take a look at the Billings Gazette because there is some serious crazy stuff going on there.

The plus side is Cabelas, Costco, Sams Club, Big R, Big Bear, and soon to be a monsterous Scheels all within 5-10 miles. Breweries galore...my favorites are Angry Hanks and Carter's Brewing (open on Sundays too)

Hunting and fishing are close...word from the wise having a #3 on your license plate could be considered bad so think about getting one of the 100 or so specialty plates. ;)

Yeah "Get Yer Guns Up" and go. Your A/C bill will certainly be cheaper in the summer!

image_zps4c13d5c5.jpg

I took this picture in billings, it can definitely get hot there.

I'm not a fan of the city at all, feels like box store Capitol of the west. The area's awesome though. I'd definitely commute in to town though if I were moving there.

in billings, it can definitely get hot there.

I'm not a fan of the city at all, feels like box store Capitol of the west.

Let's remember that the guy who started this thread is moving from TEXAS!!! It's all relative. If his family is like every other TX family I know (and I now live in TX) then they'll spend their first year in Billings wondering where all the shopping is and wishing it weren't so cold.

Hey raider, remember this: You know you're talking to a Montanan when they refer to Billings & Butte as the armpits of the world. I was guilty of this when I lived in MT. Then I moved to states like New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas. All of the sudden Billings & Butte looked really awesome. Funny how that works! :)

Be sure to check out Laurel, a small town just west of Billings for living arrangements. When there, look up Mable's Cafe, authentic good South of the border fair. Only minutes to Billings but far enough removed from the sprawl.

Thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement guys! I feel like it would be a vast improvement over endless cotton fields and zero hills and trees that I am used to.

The job would be in Hardin, and I would need to reside from the east side of Billings(which I have almost decided is the not so awesome side of town....:/) towards Hardin. Unfortunately, I am striking out on homes for sale/rent in that direction on an internet search. Not looking for tons of acres to live on just yet....

Once again, I appreciate the help and all. It has definitely helped keep me motivated with the ever present feeling of being freaked the hell out in regards to leaving what I know so well.

Keep the advice rolling in!

There are some good places in Shepherd or Huntley. Or on Pryor Creek. Take the cut off, hop on the freeway and youll be in Hardin in half an hour. Best part of Hardin is you are only 25 minutes from some of the best fly fishing in the world @ Ft Smith. Boating on Big Horn Lake is sweet, too.

I cover the whole state for work and Billings is by far not the worst place in MT to live. From what I've found if you draw a circle around Billings you are 1-3 hours from anything, but only 1-3 hours away from Everything, too.

Josh I haves good friend that lives in billings and we usually make the trek once a year sometimes to chase deer or pronghorn, but usually to shoot prairie dogs. Remember you'll be losing elevation in billings from Lubbock. Real estate is considerably higher than what it is here so be prepared for sticker shock. That said Montana has some excellent opportunities for hunting and fishing I imagin you will love it.

Also drop the coin on a lifetime Texas license before you leave if you don't have one already.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back