PEAX Equipment

VA Elk Hunt Help!

Looks like greenbrier to me. It’s also bad where I live.
Can be crazy bad about 5 to 10 years after a fire however as the canopy grows over it thins out as the years go on. Typically if you have green briar you will have grouse, deer, bunnies & bear.

Looks like greenbrier to me. It’s also bad where I live.
Yeah I haven't had the pleasure of the VA Rhododendron, so @BAKPAKR I reserve judgement, but my list for worst stuff to push through...

1. Green Briar
2. Devil's Club & Alder (with some cow parsnip for good measure)
3. Oak brush

All of those really really suck, but you can* get through them. Then there are all the crazy things you literally can't go through....

Whatever this is for example...
1641860146382.png

Yeah I haven't had the pleasure of the VA Rhododendron, so @BAKPAKR I reserve judgement, but my list for worst stuff to push through...

1. Green Briar
3. Oak brush

All of those really really suck, but you can* get through them. Then there are all the crazy things you literally can't go through....

View attachment 208564
I don’t know the name of it but plant it near your property lines and you will prevent most corner crossers.

1. Green Briar
3. Oak brush

View attachment 208564
I am going to have to throw down the gauntlet and invite you to a traverse of the Otter Creek Wilderness, with the only time on the established trails being limited to perpendicular crossings of said trails. If you get through without too much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I would buy the first round at the nearby Big Timber Brewing Company.

I am going to have to throw down the gauntlet and invite you to a traverse of the Otter Creek Wilderness, with the only time on the established trails being limited to perpendicular crossings of said trails. If you get through without too much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I would buy the first round at the nearby Big Timber Brewing Company.
Your giving @wllm1313 a hard on. F’d up hikes beyond what anyone else would consider jacked up is like giving him a birthday cake and a gallon of ice cream.

Your giving @wllm1313 a hard on. F’d up hikes beyond what anyone else would consider jacked up is like giving him a birthday cake and a gallon of ice cream.
Don’t tell him that when he is GoogleEarthing Otter Creek and sees places that look like open timber, they are actually patches of 5-6 foot tall greenbriar. The few deer in the area can’t get to them because of the rhododendron. And then, there are the boot-stealing moss bogs…

Good luck on your hunt. Don't forget a 6x50x90 variable scope cause you ain't hunting if it ain't over a 500 yard shot.

Flat brim cap is regulation too. Keep Hammerin!

I once got in such a mess with laurel (what you guys call rhododendron) that I finally gave up and began walking on top of it instead of crawling under it. I seriously thought they would never find my body back there after breaking a leg, getting ate by a timber rattler or copperhead, or if I was lucky a large bear would just put me outta my misery.

I have never entered that creek bottom again and never will. It's were bucks go to die of old age and I'm good with that and will let them die in peace.

I once got in such a mess with laurel (what you guys call rhododendron) that I finally gave up and began walking on top of it instead of crawling under it. I seriously thought they would never find my body back there after breaking a leg, getting ate by a timber rattler or copperhead, or if I was lucky a large bear would just put me outta my misery.

I have never entered that creek bottom again and never will. It's were bucks go to die of old age and I'm good with that and will let them die in peace.
Isn’t that what they made machetes for?

Back