Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Utah ranchers living on public land

If Jose was here these would definitely be welfare ranchers

Yet another perfect example of the feds not being able to manage the land they are in charge of. A complete failure with no accountability.

261,000 lease - 27 acre ranch site = .01%. Seems very reasonable.
I may misunderstand you, but I’m assuming that you’re saying that putting up a 27acre set of pens a two trailer houses is a reasonable base of operations for a 261,000 acre lease. I tend to agree. Some of the responses seem to be responses to something else, so I’m a little confused.

Just in the sense they are paying nothing, in todays market for the leases. And from my perspective most of these " We have 27, 320, 640 acres of deeded lands and they have thousands of acres of leases" is usually suspect of the "ownership" of said leases.
I admit I have not looked into the Johnsons plight in depth.

There are thousands of acres of similar US lands claimed by homesteaders,ranchers ,etc around here that were never listed in the original homestead plates. I have FS maps that show the land as FS in the 1900-20 period. Not in the layout for homesteads. Now the land is all big ranches that wound up owning FS lands.

The Bears Ears was taken from the natives. It was not settled in a way most folks would call legal nowadays, even a Mormon lawyer would have a hard sell...

There is a ranch down the draw for sale. $15 mil for 20,000 acres it says in the ad. The ranch is 9,000 acres of deeded lands and the rest state & BLM leases the family has had locked up like they own it. Nice folks ,but lots of lawyers and judges in that family. They all live elsewhere too.
So just like me, you’re not aware of anything at all that the Johnsons have done wrong.

I also assume that you’re aware that the Johnsons did not take the Bears Ears away from anyone. I know that’s not a popular take these sorts of issues, but there’s no one square inch of this country we couldn’t hand over to someone else on the basis that it once belonged to someone else. No one is alive who took it, and no one is alive who it was taken from. It has to end someday, and as far as I’m concerned it should end yesterday, or better yet, 50-100 years ago.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone should be setting up residence on public land. If you want to argue AA, do a thread search.
Grazing Homestead Act 1916-1976 could have allowed 640 acres if the original rancher or his predecessors since the 1880's had filed. I feel the BLM should grandfather the 27 acres with easement preventing any use except ranching.

My buddies dads place on the Hi-Line had buffalo jump, teepee circles and other native artifacts. MT, WY and Dakotas have extensive native and prehistoric artifacts and 1980 SCOTUS ruled US Gov did not fairly compensate Sioux Nations for Black Hills. Perhaps Nov 2023 Biden will declare Northern Great Plains National Monument across FS, BLM lands in these states using AA.

Grazing Homestead Act 1916-1976 could have allowed 640 acres if the original rancher or his predecessors since the 1880's had filed. I feel the BLM should grandfather the 27 acres with easement preventing any use except ranching.

My buddies dads place on the Hi-Line had buffalo jump, teepee circles and other native artifacts. MT, WY and Dakotas have extensive native and prehistoric artifacts and 1980 SCOTUS ruled US Gov did not fairly compensate Sioux Nations for Black Hills. Perhaps Nov 2023 Biden will declare Northern Great Plains National Monument across FS, BLM lands in these states using AA.
Cool, post some random shit that has nothing to do with the discussion....interesting.

You should write a letter to the BLM and let them know about your "feelings".

By "teepee circles" I assume you are referring to tepee rings. I have been around a few hundred, but cool that you know a guy.

49847421347_c232dd7781_3k.jpg

289690954_10216633143100427_4612144202805796860_n.jpg

Last edited:
The issue the article pointed out was there apparently was no NEPA process for the 27 acre ranch. That’s kind of a big deal, regardless of how you feel about public land grazing.

Who cares? There are a bunch of cabins here in Montana that people have for damn near free on FS lands. In way better country than that. mtmuley

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back