Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Utah points

Oak

Expert
This was posted on another board, but I thought I'd post it here.

Really shows how bad your odds got in Utah when they started allowing non-residents to apply for everything.

Utah Bonus Point Summary

I saw that as well, I was kind of shocked how few people there are ahead of me in both deer and sheep.

Deer 1,251 with the same points or more
Mt Goat 181 with the same points or more

Maybe one of these years, until then, I know of a few others places to hunt.:D

A person with say...11 points better use them wisely as a repeat could take a good long time in Utah.

I know a guy that drew a goat tag this year with 3 points and killed a booner billy. So it can happen.

I have 10 points for moose. Looking at the odds i really wonder if the point creep will keep me from drawing before I am in the ground it seems most units without max points the odds are less than 1% . I only had been applying because I was applying for elk. I should have had more points but I switched from Sheep to moose a while back. Now with the $65 fees, and I bet they will go up i wonder if I should just save my coin to book a trip to Canada instead. I have a few weeks to make up my mind I guess. In my situation, the only reason I would apply is that now I can apply for the other critters, but I still would rather have it the old way where points were more meaningful.
I am 45 this year, and I guess i am hoping more that my son will want to do this stuff 1/2 as much as his old man and i will then be more interested in applying him for some youth tags.

Last edited:
I have 10 points for moose. Looking at the odds i really wonder if the point creep will keep me from drawing before I am in the ground it seems most units without max points the odds are less than 1% . I only had been applying because I was applying for elk. I should have had more points but I switched from Sheep to moose a while back. Now with the $65 fees, and I bet they will go up i wonder if I should just save my coin to book a trip to Canada instead. I have a few weeks to make up my mind I guess. In my situation, the only reason I would apply is that now I can apply for the other critters, but I still would rather have it the old way where points were more meaningful.
I am 45 this year, and I guess i am hoping more that my son will want to do this stuff 1/2 as much as his old man and i will then be more interested in applying him for some youth tags.

Do both. Wait a couple years and see what happens. Break it down to $1.50/week until you see what UT does to change. Hate to see you throw away 10 points right now.

I've got a bunch of deer points but am in with the thousands on the other points. For some reason I think I'll win the drawing lottery at some point in life so I don't think I'll ever drop out of the pool.

Do both. Wait a couple years and see what happens. Break it down to $1.50/week until you see what UT does to change. Hate to see you throw away 10 points right now.

10 points sounds like a lot, but in reality it is terribly low. When you figure only one (last year) or 2 tags a year go to NR in this unit , with like 23 guys with more points than me it has a pretty bad point creep situation. I will draw WY long before UT even though I have 2 less points there. Then there is the fact that ID has way better odds, but more expensive to apply but when you factor in 10% odds in some units hell, it seems like a no brainer to give ID, WY and MT my money first. I am not looking to kill 20 moose in my life, I really just want one and be done with it so I really am leaning towards scrapping the UT points. As far as the other critters in UT, well sheep, goat and buff are a pipe dream, Lopes are shitty odds and marginal quality for the odds and states with a lot more tags and lopes, and deer.. well there is plenty states with more deer. Yea it is only $65 bucks, but still it seem like kind of a waste for me now that Elk is done and I only have 2 deer points.
Another option is to stick that money into NV draws instead. With the Kid having interest and youth tags to apply for I need to trim down my hunt apps and rev his up more.

Last edited:
Schmalts,

If you're half smart, you can use your $65 license for 2 years worth of applications, I've done it...

I wont drop out of Utah, I'm in too deep to quit and havent invested much for the 11 points I have for deer and sheep. Wife has 11 for deer and moose.

My goal is to do at least 4 shiras hunts, I've already drawn once in Montana. I expect to draw the second within a couple years in WY. I should draw again in Montana and at least one more in Wyoming before I'm done. I'm sure my wife will get 2 moose as well, one in Wyoming and one in Utah.

You set your bar too low....

If you're half smart, you can use your $65 license for 2 years worth of applications, I've done it...

Was wondering about that. When I applied this year, the UT system didn't make me buy a license, since it had been less than a year since I applied. Was going to check back in a week or so (when the old license runs out) to make sure I'm not suddenly DQ'ed.

Was wondering about that. When I applied this year, the UT system didn't make me buy a license, since it had been less than a year since I applied. Was going to check back in a week or so (when the old license runs out) to make sure I'm not suddenly DQ'ed.

I just did it the other day

been doing that since they enacted the loophole in the fee. This is the year I have to buy a new 65$ paper. Still don't change the fact I am a long way off from drawing moose and everything else is either better in other states or really bad odds. With just 2 points for all other critters, i would be much better off starting from scratch in other states and just applying for my kid. My mind is made up, UT is not on my list anymore of states I will apply for. Some day I may go there to help out with someones hunt or go mountain biking but I doubt I will hunt there again.

The future dont look too bright..I'm cashing out my elk points this year on a late hunt. I wish I had started with RM goat as my OIL, instead of bison, I'da drawn a goat tag by now.

You guys with deer points, keep applying. It wouldn't surprise me to see the new (next year) general season sub units rolled into the LE draw pool down the road, that would free up some of the butt plug.

If i had a crystal ball I would have stayed with the bighorn tag. I would have had 12 points now, and only 2 guys ahead on me!!!! but instead, i have 10 moose points and 317 guys ahead on me. Yuk

1 so I really am leaning towards scrapping the UT points. .

I just need you and about a thousand other guys to do that and my 6 moose points will be looking good.
Only 823 ahead of me for elk, a few years and I'll be looking at some decent elk tags, if Utah doesn't change the age objective to 2 years on all the units.

Just finished my "points" app. Sure hope I draw !!:D

Buy my $65 license for me and I will let you apply with me:hump:
Shut up Oak, Pointer, and Miller :D

Schmalts,

I'm sure theres a spike-fork shiras in Utah that will now make it to mature bull status thanks to you.

Quitter.

Schmalts,

I'm sure theres a spike-fork shiras in Utah that will now make it to mature bull status thanks to you.

Quitter.

You go kill it, it may take you 30 years to draw the tag though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back