Utah expo tag decision: December 18th at 10 am, link to live feed

Please RMEF try to fight this. SFW essentially did nothing better than they've already been doing. This is essentially business as usual and that's BS. Utah wildlife didn't even win today.

Here is the summary of the scoring, clearly the RMEF won on the economic side, but as others have noted the specifics to Utah won the day....and they be keeping $3.50/tag.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/2015-12-18_justification_statement.pdf

This is the thing that blows me away. SFW was so confident that they had the RFP process stacked in their favor that they didn't change A SINGLE THING in their bid. To the chagrin of myself as well as those who hoped that, regardless of the outcome, more money would be going to Utah Wildlife; They are still keeping all that they have in the past. Nothing has changed. This appears to have been a song and dance to give a semblance of going through an equitable process.

Please RMEF try to fight this. SFW essentially did nothing better than they've already been doing. This is essentially business as usual and that's BS. Utah wildlife didn't even win today.

Utah residents are the ones that need to fight this, as they, the wildlife, and their state economy are the losers in this debacle, not RMEF!

Wow. I'd like to be able to read each proposal to compare the differences in content.

If you're upset by this, boycott the Expo, boycott Utah.

The best thing that could happen is patrons to the convention would keep DNRs phone ringing off the hook that they won't be attending or buying raffle tickets because of the piss poor allocation of funds.

Better yet, local businesses would be doing similar with respect to their potential losses due to attendance number differential.

Utard has some issue with Outdoor Retailer already and the land transfer movement. If they could ever unify a voice and call out Bishop maybe we could get more than a 3yr extension.

Granted not necessarily the same issues, but they are birds of a feather.

This one is really a head scratcher. RMEF planned to use the same groups for the drawing the State of Utah uses for their drawing. UT DWR would be set up to sell licenses on site, the same as currently happens. RMEF handles millions of dollars in credit card transaction each year. RMEF is responsible for data security on 205,000 members. RMEF is responsible for data security on 118 employees. RMEF is responsible for data security as it relates to $60 million of assets.

Maybe that daily data security responsibility is only worth 60 points, and maybe it pales in comparison to the winning bidder who was awarded 100 points.

4. Permit Drawing Procedures and Data Security Plan (100 points possible)
RFP Requirements: As background information, UDWR will make available to Offeror a
procedure allowing the look-up of data on applicants that will facilitate the confirmation
of their eligibility to apply for expo permits. If the Offeror chooses to sell hunting
licenses through their own interface at the wildlife exposition, UDWR will provide a
procedure allowing for the insert of a license record for an individual with whom the
Offeror is conducting business. Describe in detail what coordination you will require
from UDWR on these matters. Describe in detail how you will organize and conduct the
permit draw, including expo permit application process, license requirement
verification, draw process, in-person validation of expo permit applications,
identification of successful applicants, creation of an alternate list, data retention,
drawing venue, etc. Include a detailed description of data security and how you will
protect applicant data from unauthorized release or data breach, and how you will
respond to a breach. Include what data you will collect in order to perform the duties
described in this RFP, what data you will retain following each expo permit drawing, and
how you plan to use that data to market future wildlife expositions and wildlife
conservation in Utah. Provide an explanation on how you will ensure that personally
identifying data will not be sold or shared with other entities unless applicants
specifically provide their written authorization to do so. Provide assurance that
confidential data, such as social security numbers and driver’s license numbers, that
may be used to interact with UDWR systems, will not be stored or retained on Offeror
systems. Describe your understanding of applicant license requirements and explain
how you will ensure compliance with the big game permit requirements identified in
Utah Code 23-19-22. Demonstrate evidence of current PCI compliance for your
organization and verify that all operations at the expo will comply with PCI standards.

Randy I don't know what to say. I'm in even more disbelief at this point. SFW did nothing to give back more. Utahn's and our wildlife got screwed today. It's business as usual. This makes no sense at all. There's got to be some serious public pressure applied here.

What can a guy from MN do to help this cause? Would emails to exhibitors/ sponsors of the expo be helpful? If so, I'll get on it evenings next week. If there is a list of local businesses that benefit from the expo, do we send them emails explaining why we want to boycott it?

I'm seriously considering crossing Utah completely off of my "states to hunt" list, but it's tough as I'm relatively young and have a shot at some decent tags one day if they don't decide to just auction them all off.

The fix was in from day one. The only recourse I see as a NR is to boycott Utah.

Randy I don't know what to say. I'm in even more disbelief at this point. SFW did nothing to give back more. Utahn's and our wildlife got screwed today. It's business as usual. This makes no sense at all. There's got to be some serious public pressure applied here.

That is the decision we live with. As a Board Member of RMEF, we hoped our effort would result in more money on the ground to Utah wildlife and Utah hunters. From all preliminary appearances, that increase in conservation investment is not going to happen under the winning bid. We invested a lot of our time and a bit of money to this project. Thanks to a great law firm who donated a lot of their hours to our cause, our costs were mostly staff time and effort and not much in the way of hard costs.

RMEF, in our role as representing 205,000 members who are mostly hunters, has many important issues in front of us. We gave it our best effort to improve the amount of return Utah hunters were getting from the public asset (tags) they are providing to this event. It did not go as we hoped. With so many issues that need attention, RMEF has to be comfortable we did all we could; that we did it in the name of conservation; and that we must now move forward to these many other issues that we can be helpful in making a difference.

As some stated in prior posts, if this is concerning to Utah hunters, then it is up to them, Utah hunters, to do something that expresses their concerns. RMEF is not about to enter into a "sour grapes" effort that would allocate more resources to this.

I hope you understand. We are committed to our missions of ensuring the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat, and our hunting heritage. And that commitment to mission guides us in all we do.

As for Randy Newberg's personal opinion, not that of RMEF, it goes something like this. I stopped going to the Expo after 2011; the year Don Peay challenged me to a debate (that he walked away from) and my research showed me what little bit of this money made it to wildlife and how much ended up in other pockets. I have not went to the Expo since then. I don't see myself going any time soon. I understand that others will go, as it might be their best chance to draw a Utah tag. I'll hunt squirrels and gophers before I will spend another dollar on this Expo, now that I am aware of where the money goes and how some of it ends up being used in my home state to screw me over on many other issues.

Well, let the RMEF people know we appreciate all they do in our state, and are very appreciative of what they tried to do for us. Keep up the good work Randy along with RMEF. Hopefully we can get sportsmen to put some serious pressure on this corrupt use and abuse of our public property.

I have not really been following this story, but after reading through the documents you can clearly see the state of Utah did not even attempt to hide their corruption. They basically put it out there for everyone to see and said ya we are crooked as a dog's hind leg but its our state and we like it that way. There is a reason so many MLM and pyramid schemes have roots in Utah.....

What others have said about fighting this is correct. The political forces in the state clearly endorse what is going on so your only recourse is just don't attend the expo, dont apply in utah, dont hunt in utah. Let the people of Utah be the only victims in this scheme.

When you can't corrupt the facts, corrupt the rules.

...the fix is strong on this one Fin.

..and let the chips fall where they may!
I saw the writing on the wall years ago with UT after hunting there as NR often.
The last straw for me was when it started to cost me$165 just to keep my points.......

What can a guy from MN do to help this cause? Would emails to exhibitors/ sponsors of the expo be helpful? If so, I'll get on it evenings next week. If there is a list of local businesses that benefit from the expo, do we send them emails explaining why we want to boycott it?

I'm seriously considering crossing Utah completely off of my "states to hunt" list, but it's tough as I'm relatively young and have a shot at some decent tags one day if they don't decide to just auction them all off.

NoWiser,
If you are young and just starting to apply, you need to study the draw odds in Utah a bit closer. Since SFW took over ten years ago and converted so many nonresident draw tags to auction and raffle, draw odds have gone Powerball for even mid tier units. There's no way I would start from zero now. Far far better states to invest your money. They are likely to grab even more for auction in the future. Why? Because that's what SFW does.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

-Edmund Burke (sometimes attributed to John Stuart Mill)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back