Yeti GOBOX Collection

Utah expo and RMEF???

If RMEF is really jumping into the fray to vie for the Expo contract, that would be a great change of pace for Utah. However, though they are willing to return 100% of the Expo Convention tag application monies AND willing to move their national convention to Utah, it will be a hard row to hoe without major support from both Utah and non-resident hunters.

SFW has burrowed their way deeply into the state political system and the Utah Department of Wildlife Resources, and it will take a huge effort to unseat them.

Couple of things. The Expo contract is with the Mule Deer Foundation, with SFW as their partner: but I think most know who is really at the helm. The current 5 year contract is through 2016, so the Expo next year will be ran by MDF and SFW. The next contract is for 2017 through 2021, with a wrinkle: The Wildlife Board approved a 5 year extension possibility to the then current contract holder if all criteria is met. That means in 2021 if the extension is granted, the same org will continue for 5 more years without even considering a new bidder....hmmm...

SFW and MDF use the Expo to pimp out many of their hundreds of conservation tags, though they are not officially 'part' of the Expo. The only tags that are part of the contract are the Convention tags. When the Expo was being developed, the Wildlife Board committed UP TO 200 tags to get the Expo going and hopefully prove successful. The contract doesn't say it MUST provide 200 tags, just UP TO that number. They (Wildlife Board) can reduce that number any time they choose to, but to date, have not, even when wildlife numbers were in the tank. That speaks volumes.

All monies collected for those 200 Expo tags was done without over sight, and none of it was ever earmarked for wildlife. The funds were commingled with general organization funds and impossible to audit individually, though no audit was ever done for that purpose. The United Wildlife Cooperative fought at the Wildlife Board meeting, and subsequent private meetings between SFW, MDF and the UDWR to have a large portion of those convention tag monies dedicated to wildlife conservation but was blindsided by the then director of the UDWR and the Wildlife Board during the meeting. As one of the founding board members of the UWC, I was pissed beyond belief at the actions by those involved that day, and the way our President was treated. It was both a sham and a shame. Ultimately, MDF and SFW agreed to a 30 percent amount to go to the wildlife.

Those convention tags earn just short of/or over a million dollars most years, a huge incentive to say the least. I certainly hope RMEF comes out officially soon, announcing their intentions. I'll be the first in line to back them!

Here are the Utah wildlife boards emails, there are two of them they have not updated to their site yet, but please send them an email of support for the change to RMEF, and I would say tell them if you are a resident or non-resident, and that you would be more supportive of the Expo with RMEF over it:

John Bair (Board chair): [email protected]
Calvin Crandall: [email protected]
Steve Dalton: [email protected]
Bill Fenimore: [email protected]
Gregory Sheehan (DWR director): [email protected]
Kirk Woodward: [email protected]

With a great contract like they offered, bolstered by support, this should happen.

I would love to see this become reality. Even if it doesn't ignoring the offer would shake the tree rather vigorously.
A clever jab by rmef.

Impressive!

Good one Buzz for bringing this up and letting us know. Be a great switch in supporters if RMEF were to take over and side kick the SFW scammers.

Don't have time to look much at other forums, ill let Oak keep them honest on MM.

Question: Are these 6 wildlife board members solely responsible for selecting which bid to accept? Does each member cast a vote on this? And if so, is each member's vote public information? I ask this to find out if there is individual accountability for each member, or if it is a joint responsibility for the board as a whole.

I'd like to know this before I craft my emails to the board members and television media.

Last edited:
Question: Are these 6 wildlife board members solely responsible for selecting which bid to accept? Does each member cast a vote on this? And if so, is each member's vote public information? I ask this to find out if there is individual accountability for each member, or if it is a joint responsibility for the board as a whole.

I'd like to know this before I craft my emails to the board members and television media.

The wildlife board is a public process where the DWR comes to them with their recommendations. They receive emails, have regional meetings and gain public comment and over about a month then have a meeting in Salt Lake, where public can attend and voice their opinion as well, to go over the recommendations and public comments and make a decision. The majority vote determines what is passed. Each member represents different groups (agriculture, sportsmen, etc.) Over the last 5 or so meetings they have broadcast them live via YouTube so you can watch the entire meeting, I've really enjoyed the live stream. They will have to vote on this subject when it eventually reaches the point to vote on it so getting your opinion out to them is important. The issue is 4 of those board members were deeply involved with SFW at one time including the board chair John Bair. I'm glad there are so many people willing to email the board, with the SFW pressure within the state and board it is needed.

Here is the fully updated wildlife board emails:
New members:

Byron Bateman: [email protected]
Donnie Hunter: [email protected]
Mike King: [email protected]

John Bair: (Board chair): [email protected]
Calvin Crandall: [email protected]
Steve Dalton: [email protected]
Gregory Sheehan (DWR director): [email protected]
Kirk Woodward: [email protected]

.......making a joke here on a very important thread........

HRC herself told me I shouldn't be bothered that some of these email addresses have private addresses!!

If any of them will listen it will be Greg Sheehan and Mike King.
Greg seems like a real good guy, intelligent and very interested in the walfare of our Animals. However, he isn't a voting Board member as he is the DWR Director. He can make a statement in the board meetings and I think some of the other may listen to him.
Dr Mike King is a good guy. I took an Ecology class from him in college back in the day. He isn't in bed with SFW as some of the others are so he may actually vote for the RMEF to take over.

That paragraph in there that says the DWR implementing a "new RFP process" this year to select the conservation organization that will administer the permits. Very interesting (and suspicious).....

It seems to me that RMEF has given them an offer that they can't refuse. If MDF and SFW do not at least offer up 100% of the fees, there will be a lot of public outcry and some bad press. I personally, do not think that the MDF can match this offer and that anything short of RMEF receiving the contract, will be nothing short of corruption.

Sadly it sounds like the back room deals are already in the works. A "new RFP" process smells...seems a little too convenient.

From today's RMEF press release:

RMEF Confirms Utah Expo Bid

MISSOULA, Mont.—In response to a high volume of calls and questions received related to the Wildlife Expo Permit Series in Utah, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation confirms submitting an application on September 1 to the Utah Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources (DWR) for the opportunity to administer the Wildlife Expo Permit Series and associated event.

The wildlife expo permits are a series of special hunting permits attached to an expo and convention event in Utah offered to the public through a drawing system administered by a qualified non-profit organization. 2016 marks the final year of a five-year term currently administered by the Mule Deer Foundation and its expo partner, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife. RMEF applied for the next series term beginning in 2017.

If selected, RMEF would bring its national convention and an all-new hunting and outdoor exposition to the Salt Lake City area beginning in the first quarter of 2017 and in the first quarter of each subsequent year through the term of the agreement, in an effort to support the administration of the Wildlife Expo. The expo permit series drawing and associated event would remain in Utah by statute.

“RMEF is excited about the opportunity to submit an application for the Wildlife Expo Permit Series in Utah,” said David Allen, RMEF president and CEO. “We believe we are in a unique position to bring the highest quality event possible with a strong diversity of partners to Utah and generate significant revenue for wildlife conservation there.”

An example of its commitment to generate significant revenue for wildlife conservation is evident in RMEF’s application, which includes a commitment to direct 100 percent of the revenue generated from the sale of the $5 application fee for expo permits to on-the-ground wildlife conservation projects in Utah.

Current legislation allows for the administering non-profit organization to keep 70 percent of the $5 application fee, while 30 percent is returned to DWR. In 2015, the $5 application fee generated more than $1.1 million.

“These permits are a public trust and directing 100 percent of the proceeds they generate for the benefit of wildlife and conservation in Utah is just the right thing to do,” added Allen.

This week the Utah DWR confirmed receipt of RMEF’s application. The DWR also informed RMEF of a new request for proposal (RFP) process that will be implemented for the first time to select the conservation organization that will administer the expo permits in conjunction with its convention and expo event. RMEF is awaiting details and instructions from the department related to this process.

Since 1987, RMEF and its partners completed 451 conservation and hunting heritage outreach projects in Utah with a combined value of more than $51.3 million. These projects have protected or enhanced 999,138 acres of habitat and opened or secured public access to 27,192 acres.

Hey Stillhunterman, has anyone filed a GRAMA request for the initial applications submitted by RMEF and MDF/SFW? I wonder if they just submitted a minimal proposal, or even nothing at all, thinking they had it in the bag? It would be very interesting to see what they submitted.

I filed a GRAMA request back in 2010 for, among other things, the applications received in 2005 for the 2007-2011 convention permit award. I received everything I asked for, but I'm not sure if they would give it out before completion of the selection process.

As most of you on this site know, I sit on the RMEF Board of Directors. A lot of you have emailed me with questions and given the confidentiality requirements that come with sitting on the Board, I have had to point you to the RMEF Headquarters. While I was out filming in Wyoming last week, RMEF issued a press release that confirmed that RMEF did submit a bid and some details of that bid.

There is now a lot of conjecture about why RMEF submitted a bid, what RMEF plans to do if awarded the bid, and a host of other things that seem intended to cast doubt over the motives of the RMEF bid for the Expo in Utah.

We have been working on this for the better part of a year. It was something we decided to do because we feel that the wildlife and the hunters of Utah could benefit by having all of these raffle tag proceeds directed to wildlife, whether RMEF hosted the Expo or some other organization made an even better proposal. If the final outcome is that wildlife and hunters benefit from the money that is being raised, that is a good outcome, no matter who is awarded the Expo.

RMEF engaged expert legal counsel to assist with preparing the bid. We examined every aspect of the Utah Statutes that relate to how the Expo operates, how the bid process works, criteria that must be met to be eligible, and all other aspects to make sure the RMEF bid was crafted as requested. The bid was hand delivered to the UT Division of Wildlife Resources the afternoon of the deadline that is identified in UT statute and a signed receipt was provided to the law firm.

Subsequent to RMEF submitting that bid, plenty has occurred behind the scenes, some of which DWR is requesting be kept confidential. The new idea of a Request for Proposals (RFP) comes as a complete surprise to RMEF and to the law firm hired to assist us with the bid. That RFP is not provided for in statute. There is no administrative rule that we are aware of that allows DWR to change the manner by which the process is awarded. Maybe such administrative rule exists and we are not aware of that.

Rumors have been floating around that RMEF will get the tags and move the Expo. Not sure who would start such a rumor, or why (well, I have a pretty good idea on both), but that is completely false. RMEF plans to host their annual convention in Salt Lake City for as long as the Expo contract would be awarded to RMEF.

Rumors have been started that RMEF will use the proceeds to purchase land outside of Utah. Again, another completely false rumor. Read the RMEF proposal and it states that 100% of the raffle proceeds will be given back to the state of Utah for habitat and access.

If there are other questions, please feel free to ask. Now that RMEF has issued their release, I am at liberty to answer questions that will clarify and concerns and hopefully dispel some of the rumors that seem to be growing by the day.

Most importantly, I hope the folks of Utah will ask their elected and appointed leaders to follow the statutes that exist. And whatever the final decision on who will be awarded the Expo contract, request that the leaders do what is best of Utah wildlife and Utah hunters. Putting more money on the ground is the reason why RMEF would go through the effort and cost to prepare and submit this bid. Hopefully that will be the outcome, no matter which organization is awarded the Expo.

Thanks for all the interest in this topic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back