Utah Elk ranch CWD

MtnWest

Just read this and thought I'd post.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/02/04/3627708/chronic-wasting-disease-found.html

Utah Department of Agriculture officials confirmed Friday that a bull elk shot on a private hunting park in northern Utah has tested for the fatal neurological malady known as Chronic Wasting Disease. More than 20 wild deer and two moose stuck in the Broadmouth Canyon hunting park will be killed and tested for CWD. More than 60 elk on a breeding ranch near Blanding will also be killed.

"The bull came from the farm in southeastern Utah as part of a group of 11 bulls," said Utah state veterinarian Warren Hess. Hunters at the Broadmouth Canyon Ranch killed nine of the bulls, and tests on one of them came back positive, he said. As a result, ranch owners killed the last two bull elk. "We are waiting for the results on those animals," Hess said.

Broadmouth Canyon Ranch is owned by the family of former Utah State University football player and National Football League All-Pro Rulon Jones. The state has had issues with fence breaches at Broadmouth Canyon in the past. The family also operates an elk hunting ranch in Idaho and two hunting ranches in Mexico.

Hess said Howe's Elk Ranch is under quarantine while the state works with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to seek compensation for the elk.

Can anyone clarify this? Does this mean the state/feds are paying the ranchers for the value of the animals that are being destroyed?

How long til they find elk with CWD at his Idaho hunting operation, cause I doubt he would be farming elk for decorative purposes. While it may or may not be illegal to transport those elk to Idaho, I'll bet it does take place.

Sad. I actually know a kid from high school who's ship came in. He paid the thousands of dollars to kill a 400" farm bull on the Broadmouth.

What a joke.

Rulon Jones was at the Idaho state house on Monday to testify in front of the house ag committee about lightening restrictions on his ranch. After last year's change to the CWD testing rules on his place and others like it the legislature has proven it will take a ballot initiative to keep Idaho's wildlife safe.

This is why I hate farming wild animals. It is hard to keep a domestic like sheep or cattle in an enclosure. I can't imagine how hard it is to do with a wild animal. Hopefully they can eradicate this threat in Utah. It has already caused headaches in other states and doesn't need to continue spreading

The Boone&Crockett club posted an interesting article about this subject on their website which I totally agree with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back