Utah, Beaver East early rifle elk.

Shortbowshot

This is one of those tags you never expect to draw as a NR. One of those years when you already have a good tag so you shoot for the moon just to get your points. My brother drew the 1 early rifle NR tag at 7 points.
We're pretty syked to get to hunt this tag but also understand a lot of folks have tried a whole lot longer and will probably never get the opportunity to go.
I'm not great with words, but thought this one would be worth sharing.
My wife will probably decide when my affair with OnX has to slow down but for now it's burns, transition areas, North slopes,Water, Phone calls, Weather watching, and a long summer of Arkansas humidity.
We're not horn chasers but have a few respectable bulls each. Hopefully we can find something that gets his BP up.
Stay tuned.

This is one of those tags you never expect to draw as a NR. One of those years when you already have a good tag so you shoot for the moon just to get your points. My brother drew the 1 early rifle NR tag at 7 points.
We're pretty syked to get to hunt this tag but also understand a lot of folks have tried a whole lot longer and will probably never get the opportunity to go.
I'm not great with words, but thought this one would be worth sharing.
My wife will probably decide when my affair with OnX has to slow down but for now it's burns, transition areas, North slopes,Water, Phone calls, Weather watching, and a long summer of Arkansas humidity.
We're not horn chasers but have a few respectable bulls each. Hopefully we can find something that gets his BP up.
Stay tuned.
Congrats on the tag
good luck

Looking for opinions. We're limited on time spent away . My preferred scouting method is to show up in the unit 4-5 days before season and do my scouting then and try to be on a bull opening day. But I've never hunted a premium tag. If you had the option would you go in the summer to learn the unit and give up days before season?

Looking for opinions. We're limited on time spent away . My preferred scouting method is to show up in the unit 4-5 days before season and do my scouting then and try to be on a bull opening day. But I've never hunted a premium tag. If you had the option would you go in the summer to learn the unit and give up days before season?
Can't think of a reason why I would if I had the option to spend the same time right before season. Scouting right before season will give you an idea of potential hunting pressure and to see how weather has impacted the herd location.

There will be archery elk and deer hunters going till the day before your season.
Riding around talking to deer and spike elk hunters could produce great intel.

Thanks for the thoughts! Sounds like that's what we will do. Hopefully they will get some moisture at some point. Pretty bad dry at the moment. Will this affect the antler growth as bad on those bulls that have high altitude snow melt to feed around this spring? Looks like their snowpack was about 70% of normal in the unit.

I would think maybe a little on the back end, but I was up there last weekend and it looked like there is still some good feed. It is extremely dry overall though. It will be a great hunt regardless

Thanks for the thoughts! Sounds like that's what we will do. Hopefully they will get some moisture at some point. Pretty bad dry at the moment. Will this affect the antler growth as bad on those bulls that have high altitude snow melt to feed around this spring? Looks like their snowpack was about 70% of normal in the unit.
Yeah they are probably ok right now, but if July rolls around and we aren’t getting some more moisture, it could have a legitimate impact on antler growth I think, during one of the most critical months for it.

That being said, there will always be big bulls on the unit, just maybe not a pile of real big ones

Thanks for the input. We've always laughingly said if we were gona kill a biggun he was gonna hafta be on his toes and beat all the little guys in. I'm sure enjoying the process. A big bull would be a nice ending.

I've been watching the radar. Looks like the unit is getting good moisture the last couple weeks. The area west of Circleville has me interested. Most folks I've talked to have hunted the NW portion of the unit.
Has anyone been in the south end?

It's getting good rain. Most of southern Utah is finally getting wet. I have a cabin about 40 miles south of the Beaver unit. I will be scouting that area sometime next week along with another area close by.

I'm hunting archery spike. No conflict with you.

It's been a long hot summer in Arkansas. Finally time to pack!!
We've had a couple great friends give up part of their elk hunting time to go help us out. That will make 4 experienced spotters for the 4 days before season. 3 more guys to fly in on Thursday making a pretty full camp. We plan to arrive mid day on Monday 13th to set up camp and hopefully explore.
I'm Looking forward to a great camp with guys I haven't hunted with in a few years! I will attempt to post pictures as we go. Good times!!

Just got back into civilization. Had an incredible 10 days. I'll try to share in bits and pieces. I have several videos on my phone if anyone has any tips on how to post them.

Get busy. We're wondering how your hunt went. I hope you enjoyed all that Beaver!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back