Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Using my whitetail set up this Fall for black bears if I am lucky/blessed to go to Idaho or hunt my neighboring state of PA with friends.

WVgoodguy22

My youngest brother has an OTC mule deer tag in Idaho, will be using a rifle. We know it can turn into a bear tag. I would like to go, but can't afford a deer tag. I thought about buying a black bear tag instead. I have a .300 WSM on layaway, but it won't be ready for the Oct. 10-18th time frame so I would take my old trusty .270 Win. I know that caliber has taken every big game species via Jack O'Conner and many other hunters, I am just not super sure about my bullet selection. We have been reloading for it for at least a decade or so with a 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in front of 53 grains of IMR 4350. I have only taken a few small whitetails with it (mostly a couple does and a couple spikes that I thought were does, that still taste great) and at short under 100 yards. I am sure if I could find a range big enough I could practice more and push it out to 3-400 yards to at least be proficient with it. But I was thinking of possibly using a hardier bullet in a heavier grain weight (145-150s) for black bear which have thicker fur, more fat and muscle than a whitetail as well as some longer range energy for deer out west. Probably not a necessary expense of $$$ and time redeveloping a load (maybe try 150 grain factory loads?) for something I may not get to do, but I wouldn't mind knowing what more experienced hunters think about going heavier as long as it doesn't sacrifice accuracy. I know nothing can replace time behind the trigger and taking the best humane shot, I am just the curious type and like to learn.

I wouldn’t use ballistic tips but a 270 will kill any black bear out there. I wouldn’t think twice about using my 243 for black bear.

Heavier is fine. Put a Remington Core Lokt or Federal Power Shok in .270 in the right spot and the bear will be stone dead inside 50 yards. Both inexpensive options to get on target and put a bear down. Good luck.

I've killed 4 bears with my .264, 3 using 140 swift a-frames, 1 using 120 nosler etips. None of them went more than a couple of yards.

Just use whatever shoots well.

Thanks everyone on your input. I tend to overthink everything. I know some people have problems with ballistic tips and light cup and core bullets on bigger game at extended ranges, just wanted to see what some of you thought. With my finances being wetsuit tight and having a .300 WSM on layaway (still need to find a scope and the $$ to pay for it), it would be better off if I spent the money I would on changing up my .270 for heavier (aside from trying a box or two of cheap 150 grain ammo) towards a tag and some gear (need a pack and a few other things outside of what I already have for whitetail hunting). Accuracy, confidence is better than 20 more grains of bullet weight. So is getting a tag and license to actually go. Now to find a place to practice shots longer than the 80 yards we have in out side yard and get into shape.

If you're concerned about the 130 BT, I'd just switch to a 130 AB and then just make sure the point of impact was the same. You'll do just fine.

Thanks Gunner, Gerald and Thusby, I will have to try that out or just stick with what I got going since they have been devastating to the few whitetails that I did shoot, just got to keep it under 300 yards. I can't remember what those Rem Core Locks are in .270 as far as cost at the Walmart I work at, seems to be a couple dollars more that $17, I may have to check tomorrow when I work. I use to shoot Federal Premium Fusions before I started reloading and really liked them too.

Ive killed 3 with a hoyt so your good as long as its in the boiler room make sure you look at some bear anatomy pics standard rule of thumb is middle of the middle their lungs are back more than a deer

Ive killed 3 with a hoyt so your good as long as its in the boiler room make sure you look at some bear anatomy pics standard rule of thumb is middle of the middle their lungs are back more than a deer
Don’t go too far back. Right behind the shoulder is just fine.

A thicker jacketed bullet would be a far better option. The ballistic tips will kill one for certain and the old adage "shoot it until it's dead" would apply. A less than ideal shot could end up being the difference between a lost bear (or one in the nastiest thicket in the vicinity) and a drt bear. Bear bones are far denser, less brittle and just tougher than any ungulate bones.

I'd suggest Hornady American Whitetail 140grn. My wife's .270 shoots they beck out of that ammo and the Interlock is a very good, tough bullet for the price. You might also try Federal Fusions.

I've had some inconsistent performance with Core-Lokt. I know people use them, but I think there are much better options for not much more cost. My opinion.

I shot a pretty good WV black bear with a 130 gr Ballistic Tip out of of a 270 Win and it dropped in its tracks. I bet the average Idaho black bear is less than 200 pounds so I don’t think you need too tough of a bullet. With that said, I think I would go with a Partition, a Swift A-Frame, or some type of mono bullet if I were hunting someplace I might bump into a grizzly bear.

See post # 273

Also if you have some time, you might try loading some Accubonds. You might find a similar sweet spot to what you've been shooting with the BT's. Heck of a good bullet those Accubonds.

Thanks for the continual advice. Definitely gives me some food for thought. I have used Federal Fusions, before starting to reload and they shot well out of my rifle and they are a heavy hitter. If I am going out west, I may try something different like the ABs in 150, but the other ones you all suggested should work as well. We will see when it gets closer and I know for sure.

I'd stay with your lighter setup, you have plenty of power to kill a bear. The flatter trajectory will also help with the potential longer distances. Changing to an accubond or other quality bullet won't hurt.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back