Caribou Gear Tarp

Using ATV on public lands

Ithaca 37 said:
AK, There's a question for you in the other ATV thread in "Elk".
I already answered that question in another post in this thread. I don't concern myself with the rules in area's I don't ride or hunt using an atv. The hunting regs will tell you if you can or can't ride an atv in given units.

I have a 2004 grizzly and it has lights and all but it is not street legal but a lot of 4x4 trucks are not street legal either. They can still use the 4x4 trails but I and others can not use our ATV's in these areas. I have asked the forest personnel why and they say because it is not an OHV area.

In the Los Angeles National Forest Atv's can not be used where 4x4 trails are used or any road that is legal for off-road use unless it is designated as an OHV area. If 4x4's or any other truck can use the dirt roads then ATV's should also be allowed to use them.

AK, shoots-. says: "It sounds to me that your following the law they way it's written, (other than game retrieval). All the new law states is that you can't drive cross country."

It sounds like you're breaking the law if you use an ATV for game retrievel off the road or trail. Right or wrong?

Here's the problem with allowing ATVs for game retrievel: Somebody shoots something and he and his buddies all jump on about 6 ATVs and claim they're only using them for "game retievel", even though they have rifles with them.. Next thing you know they have trails all over and the next ATV rider comes along and says, "Great, here's an established trail for me to ride on." Then he shoots something and gets his buddies to help him retrieve it off the "established" trail.

The fact is you can't trust ATV riders not to try to bend or break the laws and there's not enough money in the federal budget to hire all the enforcement officers needed to keep track of all the ATV riders. Best solution is to ban all ATVs from any hunting activity.

If you can't hunt without an ATV, stay home.

Wrong answer Ithaca 37, I am not breaking the law when I use my wheeler to retrieve downed game, I know the rules in my hunting area and I don't break them, regardless of what you might think. I'll be hunting from my Foreman next year for moose, I'll post a picture for you to enjoy of a nice bull laying next to my atv.

AK, shoots-straight says, "All the new law states is that you can't drive cross country." and you say it's OK to use an ATV in your hunting area for game retrievel, which would mean you'd have to travel cross country unless you had the game at a road or established trail for pick up. So I'm confused. Can anyone find the actual current law in Alaska concerning ATV use on public lands? Does the law concerning public land use of ATVs vary in different areas?

Funny, you don't mind quoting shoots-straight but you seem to think I don't know what i'm talking about. Does he live in Alaska? I've been doing this for over 14 years and abide by the law, if they say no more atv's off trail in my area then guess what, I walk. If your that curious about all this then read the hunting regs or find the info from the BLM website yourself. I think I've pretty much said what I need to say.

Ithaca 37 said:
Can anyone find the actual current law in Alaska concerning ATV use on public lands? Does the law concerning public land use of ATVs vary in different areas?

I don't know about Alaska, but I do know that in Oregon, at least where my brother and I hunted in 2004, ATV's are legal ANYWHERE, trail or no trail. This was on BLM, and we were told this by the people at the local BLM office in that area. I'm not saying I agree with it, or that it's a good thing, but that's just the way it is, unless it has changed in the lasts 2 years.

Yes, in the last 2 years there has been some big changes, it's the new off road Vehicle Rules, and they state clearly if anyone wishes to read them that on Federal lands, which include BLM you can't drive off Road, only on established roads and trails. Doesn't matter what state, Federal is Federal son whether it's Alaska or Rode Island if it's Federal land then cross country is illegal. On the subject of driving on rural roads goes it's state by state county by county. Here in Montana as long as it's street legal you can drive all rural roads. I dont' think that interstates are legal though, but lots of ATV's drive down HWY 93 right past county mounties and don't get pulled over so I'm assuming that US hwys are OK.

shoots-straight, please post a link where I can find that info. I have searched all morning and cannot find anything that refers to what you are saying. Thanks.

Big Mouth ewe,

Name one part of anything I've said on this thread that's not true.

Other than articles out of news papers your facts always are easy to poke holes in. Your arse is where you get your best references.

Read the links from Washington Hunter. Maybe you'll get an education. We all know you need one.

Not sure if you are Shooting Straight on this thread or not, I'll let those who care do the research. Just firing you up so you'll share your "wisdom" with us on another thread. I see it worked! BTW when are you going to share some of your hunting pics with us?

Wonder why the National Forest office told me game retrieval off road was legal in Arizona. Guess they don't keep up with the latest federal law or just don't care.

Hey Mutten Head,

Show up at the Ravalli County Fish and Wildlife meeting on Dec. 4th I bring a couple of my albums, Haven't developed any pics from this year because I got a new camera, but might just print some out on a paper for you.

BigHornRam said:
Moosie,

Without Buzz, MD4Me, or Ten Bears jumping on this one, it's starting to like it will die out before page 3.

It doesn't take much poop to bring the flys in..... Post will hit page 3 with No problem at all :D

You really have to watch where you use them, some get some uptight when they see you riding instead of walking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back