Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

USFWS Predator Management - Alaska

OutdoorAddict14

People are sure trying hard to turn this into some kind of partisan issue. All the spin is making me dizzy.

First, the USFWS has been directed over the past few years to expand access and opportunity for hunting on refuges, where it does not conflict with the refuge's establishing purpose. There is now more hunting opportunity on USFWS land than under previous administrations.
http://refugeassociation.org/2015/06/hunting-and-fishing-at-wildlife-refuges-expanded/

The issue in this particular case is less about limiting hunting and more about removing predators, some of which were explicitly described as species to be conserved by the refuges at their establishment. According to US Code, Refuges have to be managed according to their founding purpose. In most cases, their founding purpose included protection of bears and wolves among other species. Thus, beyond a certain point, reduction in numbers of those species may conflict with their purpose and puts the agency in violation of US Code. This rule is the agency's effort to clarify what they can and can't allow on Refuge lands to remain in compliance with federal laws.

Thank you both for the information. I was indeed a little quick to form an opinion without doing the proper research. I am all for sound, scientific wildlife management; I do however have great concerns about political motivations getting in the way. On the surface, this appeared to be more about politics than science and management.

Thanks again.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back