Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Used wall tent

peterk1234

I have an opportunity to purchase a Montana canvas wall tent with a stove for about 600 bucks from a friend. I have not set it up yet, but we have it in the garage and plan to put it up in the next couple of days. It will be coming with us in a couple of weeks for a four day hunt.

I have never used one before. It is probably ten years old, maybe a bit older. What should I be looking for and considering if thinking of purchasing it? Thanks Pete

How big is it? Does it come with an internal frame? All canvas or hybrid with the nylon? That seems like a really good price if it's in good shape. As stated above, look for what might possibly be mold from putting away wet. Holes, tears that could rip further in high wind. Check the seams for splits or tears.

I know opinions vary, but after having owned and used wall tents for 30ish years, I don't use one without a tarp over the roof. It's never fun waking up in the middle of the night with water dripping on your sleeping bag, clothes, gear, or whatever else. I recommendation measuring the roof and buy a good tarp that covers most of the roof a few feet behind the stove jack. I even put a smaller one on the opposite side of the stove jack to cover up as much as I can.

We’ve got a 12’ x 16’ that is to my knowledge, 25+ years old. As dumb college kids we bought it for i think $600 between four of us. It has some holes/tears, but has always held up well. Doesn’t leak (knock on wood) and an over built by HS senior metals class kids, wood stove keeps it warm. I think for the price you’re in a good spot if it’s not a complete POS. We’ve figured that on late season hunts, the alternative of hotel and gas prices, it has paid for itself many times.

We set it up. It will get us through our multi day hunt in a few weeks for sure. It's older than I thought. Well used. It has a couple small tears, but I can fix those. My bigger concern is pinholes. Large areas are very worn.

The frame alone is probably worth it. But replacing the canvas is not cheap. Seems at that point its worth to just buy a complete package.

How big is it? Does it come with an internal frame? All canvas or hybrid with the nylon? That seems like a really good price if it's in good shape. As stated above, look for what might possibly be mold from putting away wet. Holes, tears that could rip further in high wind. Check the seams for splits or tears.

I know opinions vary, but after having owned and used wall tents for 30ish years, I don't use one without a tarp over the roof. It's never fun waking up in the middle of the night with water dripping on your sleeping bag, clothes, gear, or whatever else. I recommendation measuring the roof and buy a good tarp that covers most of the roof a few feet behind the stove jack. I even put a smaller one on the opposite side of the stove jack to cover up as much as I can.
Definitely agree with a tarp over the whole tent.
Hunting with an outfitter a couple years back, every one of his five tents had tarps which really came in handy after a couple rain and snows.

14x17, internal frame. All canvas.
That is a big tent, how many folks are you planning to REGULARLY put in. there.

Worn out as you say? Hard Pass. You can find a better used tent if used is a priority. Are you in a hurry? If not go find the right deal.

14x17 is huge. 600 is cheap...
We used it for our hunt but decided to pass on buying it. Figured we will have a tent for twenty years, so we should get a new one. I'm looking hard at a Davis 14x15 tent package. Waiting to see if they will run a big sale on them during the winter. Goal is to have one for 2024 turkey and spring bear.

We used it for our hunt but decided to pass on buying it. Figured we will have a tent for twenty years, so we should get a new one. I'm looking hard at a Davis 14x15 tent package. Waiting to see if they will run a big sale on them during the winter. Goal is to have one for 2024 turkey and spring bear.
Contact them and get your name on the list. Sometimes they have off color lots of fabric (eggshell vs beige vs white, ect.) That they sell at a reasonable discount. Those, and tents displayed at shows . I have two Davis tents and these folks really stand behind their products. Great company.

Contact them and get your name on the list. Sometimes they have off color lots of fabric (eggshell vs beige vs white, ect.) That they sell at a reasonable discount. Those, and tents displayed at shows . I have two Davis tents and these folks really stand behind their products. Great company.
Done. Thanks for the suggestion. Pete

Davis makes a good tent. I don't know where you are located, but if you are in SW Washington, look into Bravo tents. Quite possibly the best tent on the market. Even if not in SW Washington, take a long look at them. We had one for about 18 years before we sold it as we did not need it any more. It was 15 x 18 with 5 ft sidewalls, internal frame, rear stove jack and zippered doors at each end. A DAMN FINE ten!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back