Used Browning Citori vs New Cheaper Shotgun

Cooperd0g

I am looking to get an over/under shotgun for a variety of hunting and possible target shooting activities. I am a buy once, cry once kind of guy and I would prefer a shotgun with replaceable chokes. At the same time I may only end up using this a half a dozen times a year so I don't want to spend a fortune either.

I found a used Browning Citori with Invector chokes for about $800. For about the same money +/- I could get a new CZ, Mossberg Silver Reserve, Weatherby Orion or Winchester 101.

Thoughts?

I've always wanted a Citori, even though I've never shot one. That being said, I do have a CZ Redhead and have been very happy with that gun. Unless you know someone who'll let you shoot their O/U, the best alternative is go shoulder and handle them at the store and see if your preferences point you to one over the others.

I have been to a couple of stores already and am heading to Bass Pro today to do that very thing.

Ive got a Citori and like it. Its my weapon of choice when i want to appear to be classy. Otherwise I'm a Beretta semi-auto man

Well I was able to handle several at Bass Pro.

- Franchi Instinct L felt great, but at $1400 it is almost as much as a new Browning and more than the used one.
- I did not like the Mossberg Silver Reserve II. Just didn't feel right.
- Winchester Model 101 was nice, but also more expensive than the used Browning
- Stevens 555 was way too light, I think it would be a bit punishing to use (I'm only 5'9" and 160lbs)
- They did not have a CZ to try out
- A new Browning Citori felt the best. I suspect the older one will feel very similar.

Looks like I will try for the one I found on Gunbroker.

$1400 for an Instinct L?!? That's absurd. I remember when they first came out they were like $900. The Citori is the best choice.

Grab the used Citori. You'll love it. How many extra chokes come with it? I've had mine for 25 years or so. Best shotgun I have ever owned.

I shoot an Weatherby Orion and absolutely love it. That said, if I was able to get a deal on a Citori when I found my Orion, I would have gone Citori. Nothing wrong with either

The Citori comes with 4 chokes per the listing. I bought it and am waiting to hear back from seller on Gunbroker to set up the payment. Thanks for the advice guys.

I have a CZ Greenhead and it has trigger issues. Sometimes it decides not to fire when you pull the trigger. Luckily never the other way around.

I am looking to get an over/under shotgun for a variety of hunting and possible target shooting activities. I am a buy once, cry once kind of guy and I would prefer a shotgun with replaceable chokes. At the same time I may only end up using this a half a dozen times a year so I don't want to spend a fortune either.

I found a used Browning Citori with Invector chokes for about $800. For about the same money +/- I could get a new CZ, Mossberg Silver Reserve, Weatherby Orion or Winchester 101.

Thoughts?

I bought a used Citori in 1982 for $500 and have used it for trap, skeet, upland birds,
waterfowl, turkeys, etc. I did replace the firing pins last year, but have been very happy
with over 30 years of shooting/hunting with it. (I have a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge,
both over 30 years old, both purchased used way back when)

Congrats on getting the Citori!

I bought a Franchi Instinct L for $1,095 here in NYS at a gun store about a year ago. I always wanted an over & under and got it in 20 gauge.

You made the correct choice. That Citori is twice the gun of the CZ. I've handled the Franchi's and while they're a step above the CZ's, I still would rather have a Browning/Miroku. They're tanks and will withstand a lot of use and abuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back