Browning BLR Accuracy??

Cornbread

I just bought 2 fairly new/new Browning BLR's. The new one is in .300 win mag, and the used one is a 2020 in 7mm Rem Mag. Anybody have experience with the accuracy of the BLR? I have plenty of factory ammo to try out in them with different brands and different bullet weights. I put a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15 on the new one and the used one came with a Swarovski 5-25 (not my choice for scope). I might sell the Swarovski and put on the same Leupold as I have on the .300 win mag. Would use both of these for elk. Any insight would be appreciated. Am not looking for accuracy of older BLR's.

I have one in .308 - it likes heavy for caliber bullets. If I load 180 gr Nosler Spitzer Partitions - 1.5 to 2.0 inch groups are common. If I load 180 gr Nosler Protected Point Partitions, the groups shrink to around an inch. So I've got a stockpile of the P. Pt bullets for that gun

Mine are in .308. ‘81 Lightweight Takedown, Stainless Takedown, and Black Label 16”. All respectable out of the box, but really seem to like Barnes 150 TTSX over Varget. All 1” or less at 100 to start.

Had all the triggers worked on. They were creepy and gritty to start. They’ll never be match quality, but now the creep is gone and they break nicely. After the work, the Black Label with a Firedot is great for twilight hogs. The stainless is a stone killer on whitetail out to 250.

I like that all of them can go in a 2-gun zippered takedown shotgun case with my Citori. It makes the grouse/‘lope trips more enjoyable.

My FIL's .308 BLR is accurate. It will shoot ~1" groups at 100 yards. The trigger on the gun really blows though.

I hope to get the stainless one (used) in 7mm Rem Mag out on Monday or Weds. Maybe I'll post results. I don't reload, so I'll have to find the factory ammo it likes.

I have a BLR in .308 that I use for whitetail hunting. The trigger is stiff however, most of my shots on deer happen fast. Situations where I feel a stiffer trigger is better. A BLR is not a great rifle for long supported shots but it is a great rifle for hunting in the woods. My BLR is paired with a quality fixed power 4x scope. It’s not a rifle that I would put a big long range scope on. Bottom line, in my opinion they are great rifles for quick short to mid range shots. They shoulder nicely really fast. And like all Browning’s they are very accurate for the price.

IMO any two piece stocked rifles can be affected by too much pressure on the forearm. If shooting off a rest, place your hand between the rest and rifle. YMMV

I have a BLR in .308 that I use for whitetail hunting. The trigger is stiff however, most of my shots on deer happen fast. Situations where I feel a stiffer trigger is better. A BLR is not a great rifle for long supported shots but it is a great rifle for hunting in the woods. My BLR is paired with a quality fixed power 4x scope. It’s not a rifle that I would put a big long range scope on. Bottom line, in my opinion they are great rifles for quick short to mid range shots. They shoulder nicely really fast. And like all Browning’s they are very accurate for the price.
The stainless BLR came with a Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 Plex scope. I have no idea why he put such a high power scope on that rifle. I will either put that scope on my Colt HBAR or sell it and put on a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 with the IMPACT29 reticle. I have 5 of those scope already. I would never have a 5-power scope as the the bottom power.3-power is much better.

Well, got out yesterday to the rifle range. Didn't have a chance to really shoot a bunch of groups. But I did shoot 2 groups. First group was Hornady 174 gr Interlock ammo and the group was about 1.25". I haven't measured it yet. The 2nd group was more impressive at say 3/4" with Winchester 160gr Fail Safe ammo. I had boxes of these left over from my other 7mm Rem Mag. What say you? I'd like to shoot some Federal premium 160gr TSX & Accubond's I have. Will let ya know.

Attachments

• 2020 Browning BLR group size.jpg
    2020 Browning BLR group size.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 6
Makes me wonder how a rifle can shoot 1 inch groups with a bad trigger. IME the trigger is the biggest part of the equation?
I was bound and determined (back when I was 13) that this was the gun for me - and I spent a ton of time shooting that gun to get the trigger down. It's a long pull and only crisp at the very end. It did teach me very good trigger control I guess - but it takes some work / training.

Great groups by the OP - I would just go with the most accurate loads you find. The 160 gr Fail Safe's look pretty good to me.

I was bound and determined (back when I was 13) that this was the gun for me - and I spent a ton of time shooting that gun to get the trigger down. It's a long pull and only crisp at the very end. It did teach me very good trigger control I guess - but it takes some work / training.

Great groups by the OP - I would just go with the most accurate loads you find. The 160 gr Fail Safe's look pretty good to me.
Unfortunately, I don't think they make those rounds anymore. I'll have to try out various 160 gr bullets. I have a box each of the Federal; Premium 160gr TSXs and 160 gr Accubond. Both great elk bullets, and Ive always had awesome luck with Federal Premium ammo. My custom 7mm rem mag loves both those boxes. The BLR's not too heavy a rifle also, which will be good for Montana. Just FYI, Ive never had good luck with Nosler Partition bullets in any rifle Ive owned. It has to be the partition bullet. Anybody else find this too with the Nosler Partition's?

Got to the range today to try out the federal Premium 160gr Accubonds & 160 Gr TTSX's, and I had some Federal Premium 175gr Trophy Bear Claws. I'm very satisfied with the Browning BLR. See attached pics. It definitely loves 160 grain bullets.

Attachments

• 20231023_124732_resized.jpg
    20231023_124732_resized.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231023_124736_resized.jpg
    20231023_124736_resized.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231023_124845_resized.jpg
    20231023_124845_resized.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 9
I mowed lawns all summer as an 11 year old to save enough for my first deer rifle. I was dead set on a blr in .308 which is what I got. It’s generally an MOA rifle. I should dig it out of the safe and shoot it again one of these days. Probably been 20 years since I’ve shot it.

I have a 270 WSM BLR, first take was a coyote at 462 yds, plenty accurate enough. I load up 140 gr bonded bullets if I can for it, 130's otherwise.
Man did I want one of those in 270WSM. IMO one of the best rounds ever. I sold my 270WSM and have cried ever since.

Not everyone can work on the BLR trigger, but I found a guy in Austin that has the mojo. They can be made better. Acceptable, even!
Howdy Sam - Would you mind sharing the info on your guy in ATX? I recently inherited an older BLR 308. Thanks!

FWIW, my first lever was a Browning (Belgian) BLR in .308. Accuracy was NOT its forte'

Heavy, cumbersome, poorly balanced. Not a gun I'd ever want to own again. YMMV

Back