Upper Breaks are a mess

Wonder how a hovercraft would fair at that elevation.
My boss's mom won one on the price is right years ago

Two places I don't screw around with when it's wet.. the breaks and salton sea.. both will ruin your life.. I was stuck west of forchete bay for 3 days.. it wasn't so bad..we saw lots of elk.. luckily we had beer..

Awesome! I’ve made 5 trips this year. Took the picture of that bull opening morning of archery. Still hard for me to believe (now) but it was so flippin hot and crackling sweet clover that I didnt even go after him. No way I can process/pack a bull fast enough being solo so I let him walk thinking I would be back soon.

The next trip I knew it had got a bit of moisture but you only get so many days to hunt so off I went. Found standing water. Ambitious with memory loss I headed in. Made it bout 1/4 mile almost burying it twice in holes big enough to eat a 4x4. Funny how my memory returned instantly.

I’ve been out twice since and have only gotten into this bulls area once and had to get out as the weather man lied and the midnight snow storm started at 2:00pm.

Good times

The plus side to all this shit weather is that that bull is probably still alive. I hope the weather cooperates around the opener and you're able to kill him.

That tag's hard enough as is, mud can just add insult to injury. I lost half the days I hunted when I had it to weather. By the looks of your scouting pictures though you've figured the unit out much better than I did. Good luck!

Last year this guy thought he could drive this through the gumbo. Sat there for six days until he got pulled out. Not a call I would want to make to my wife.IMG_1783.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 699
Pfft..... that looks rough, I've seen some people up there do some things with rigs I wouldn't even consider, I just think think they didn't know any better. Watched a guy drive his 40 rv in there once when it was dry during paddlefish season. It rained three inches while we were up there that weekend. Never did hear how he finally got it out but I bet he didn't have many cabinets left on the walls by the time he got her out. Ouch

Well I was up there this fall, second weekend while it was still dry I saw a mini van from Alaska go in. I really wish I would have talked to the guy just to see how long he planned on being in there....

I was up there Sept 22nd trying to fill my bighorn ewe tag... The following Monday it took me 2 hours of heavy pressure washing to get the pickup clean... the Kenetreks still have a little mud on them.

So I had an archery 680 tag and hiked 31 miles on public lands and never saw any fresh sign that indicated many elk were in the area. In 5 days I heard 0 bugles and only saw 2 spikes, 2 4x4's, and 1 cow. I was so excited that this was one of the best archery tags in the state and it felt like I was in a OTC tag in Colorado. Did the elk migrate out bc of the drought and smoke? I ran into 3 Montana hunters that had been there 21 days and they hadn't drawn their bow yet. If anyone can explain why it was so bad for me I would appreciate it. I want to learn from my mistakes so I don't waste a good tag again. I have maps and can show you everywhere I looked. thanks!

Back