Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Adding a half track

Akcabin

I have been toying with the idea of adding a half track system to my buggy. I'm trying to get less pounds per square inch on the ground. We have muskkeg and mature birch n spruce forest so multiple terrain.
My plan. Mount a tag axle such as a 5000 pound straight axle similar to a standard tag axle on a semi trailer. Is mounted. And actuated with air bags. Then use snogo tracks for tracks. The tires are 18" x36" . And flat across the top. Generally used on liftalls forklifts. So tough too.
Using air bags I could change the angle of the tag axle n track to make it easier to walk over a log . Or get the correct angle on the track depending on the ground It's on. Swampy stuff it may work better with the front lifted a bit. Flat mud or shale put it down.
Steering. Thinking about this. If any transmission n drive shaft out there have suggestions here, thanks. A limited slip rear end with a brake pedal n separate brake system to each rear wheel. Like a tractor. And the steering wheel.
Turning would be compromised but it mainly goes in a straight line. Or would be used on a logging road I would make with it. I have an old western snow plow blade n bracket I have on the improvements list. To make a dozer of sorts. Along with a gin pole. May as well use the winch.
Suggestions welcome 7564C137-7F9B-4244-8B89-DA8FB3AE34D2.jpeg25FC6DCF-F60B-4FB2-AB5D-77E6525BA22B.jpeg
Guess I should add. This truck is a 56-59 GMC. It originally had Napco axles in it to make it a 4x4. They were 1/2 ton so not strong enough. I put some Dana 60s under her from an old Ram Charger. 3/4 ton . The engine is a 270 . It is a replacement engine as there is no serial number stamped on the block.near the distributor. Just 270. She runs great n drives hard without power steering. But put it in granny gear n sit back

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back