Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Upgrading scopes on two model 70 featherweights; What would you do?

Bowmannate2000

My dad passed away this year and I inherited a couple of his rifles, one being his win model 70 featherweight xtr .308. I am debating replacing the current 3-9x Pentax with something a little nicer. It is accurate though, and made in the USA, so might just leave it alone for now.

My grandfather, who is still around, just gave me an identical rifle, but in .22-250. this one definitely needs an optics upgrade, as it has a pencil tube tasco on top.

The .308 has much more sentimental value to me and will be used much more than the 22-250. If you were going to buy one new scope, would you upgrade the glass on the .308 and move the Pentax to the 22-250, or leave the .308 alone and get something for the 22-250?

Pentax is very underated glass when optics are discussed in hunting circles. If you spend a little time talking to a bird watcher or on bird watching forums they almost always speak fondly about pentax. And birders are really serious about good glass. I personally would leave the 308 alone and hunt it like dad did.

I like both suggestions! That's why I'm asking I guess. I do have trouble with the eye relief on the Pentax. Turn the zoom up past 4 and it's hard to keep the image in the scope. Maybe I can move the scope a bit to help with this?

I like both suggestions! That's why I'm asking I guess. I do have trouble with the eye relief on the Pentax. Turn the zoom up past 4 and it's hard to keep the image in the scope. Maybe I can move the scope a bit to help with this?
Maybe. Most scopes have a 3.5 inch eye relief at the lowest magnification and it shortens as you increase the magnification. Is there any room to slide the scope? Perhaps adding an adustable comb to stock may help? Change LOP of stock? Just some suggestions.

Maybe. Most scopes have a 3.5 inch eye relief at the lowest magnification and it shortens as you increase the magnification. Is there any room to slide the scope? Perhaps adding an adustable comb to stock may help? Change LOP of stock? Just some suggestions.
Thanks, I'll look at it and see if there is any room to slide. I think I read somewhere to set the eye relief at highest zoom level and then tighten the screws. Does that sound accurate?

Id suggest checking your length of pull first, make sure the stock fits. There are all kinds of videos on you tube. I like the first one but there are easier ways to check (second one)

Quick way to check

My dad was 6'2" and i'm 5'8". I had to cut down several of my dads guns in order to fit.

Thanks, I'll look at it and see if there is any room to slide. I think I read somewhere to set the eye relief at highest zoom level and then tighten the screws. Does that sound accurate?
It's a short scope. No room to move it really.

Attachments

• IMG_20221127_142711225.jpg
    IMG_20221127_142711225.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
If I upgrade the .308 I was thinking about a 2.5-8x leupold. 22-250 would probably go higher magnification.
I really like the Leupold 2.5-8x36, have them on both my Kimbers, .300WSM and 7mm-08. It’s a nice trim package that’ll provide all the power you need And they look good on a wood stocked bolt action.

Yep, always adjust for eye at max (which will be worst) magnification. Most scopes eye relief is in the 3.5 to 3.75 inch range. The other option for having more adjustment for eye relief is to use a pic rail and rings as opposed to one piece bases.....much more flexible.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back