Yeti GOBOX Collection

upcoming equiptment needs

Mudranger1

Give me some ideas for a few of these things
1) boots, I know most swear by the Kenetreks but I'm not so sure I will ever have $3-400 to spend on a pair of shoes. Now if they last me 10 years that might be something to think about.
2) packs, I need/am wanting an external frame. any suggestions/comments. Do the new daypacks that have the mesh backing in them keep you cooler. I have a Badlands Superday but by the time Im done my back is SuperSoaked!

now again I'm not rich or have an endless hunting fund which seems to bless many of you on this site so keep that in mind

IMO, nothing can ruin a hunt worse or faster than a pair on bad boots. I can speak from experience on this... ;)

NeedtolearntouseMoleSkinforhotspots.jpg

If Kenetreks are what it takes, then spend the money as I can't think of money better spent for hunting rough terrain. So, I'd suggest you bite the bullet and get whatever boots you need. Doesn't mean they have to be expensive and deals can be had, but often times you do get what you paid for. I currently have a pair of Kenetreks, which I like pretty well, but I do think the Meindls I had previously were more comfortable.

Go to the store and try some on. The worst possible scenario is to buy some by mail order and then have them not fit. Even if you don't buy them at the store, you know the size and fit. There is no better way to judge the fit then to wear the boots. Unfortunately, we pretty much have to buy them to do this. I bought a pair of Vasque Sundowners at a RedWing boot store in 1995. They were fitted to me at the store. I wore them briefly around here and then took off to the Smokey Mountains to go sightseeing. I wore them for less than 5 miles out there and my feet hurt so bad, I could hardly walk. It wasn't blistering, but something in the way that they fit. It took almost a week to recover. I never wore them again. They may just have needed to be broken in. If I had to pick a pair of boots, I would probably go with my work boots, which are Matterhorns. I wear them almost every day. They last for a couple of years, although the Gore-Tex wears out after about a year. I use old boots in the summer and new boots in the winter. They have been as comfortable to me as any pair I have ever worn even though mine have hard toes and metatarsal guards. Don't forget the duct tape (for your heels).

my Kenetreks rub me raw right where your blisters are. Its how the boot fits your foot. just because they are expensive doesnt mean they fit right. make sure you try them on and id wear them around the house for quite a while before you take them out. that way if they dont fit right you can return them easier. might look at Zamberlan boots too. those were pretty comfortable on my foot. lots of possibilities out there.

my Kenetreks rub me raw right where your blisters are. Its how the boot fits your foot. just because they are expensive doesnt mean they fit right. make sure you try them on and id wear them around the house for quite a while before you take them out. that way if they dont fit right you can return them easier. might look at Zamberlan boots too. those were pretty comfortable on my foot. lots of possibilities out there.
Yep, they gotta fit you. I've not had blisters with the Ktreks, but a pair of Zamberlan's gave the ones in the picture...

Merino Wool Socks, Liner Socks and Duck Tape will solve a lot of boot issues. Don't skimp on boots!

1_pointer all I can say is OUCH!

Make sure and pack the duck tape with you in your pack and stop/apply at the first sign of a hot spot.

I personally like the Meindl boots. I am wearing the perfect hunters right now and couldn't be happier. I believe that they cost me $230. I am going to get two full seasons out of these, maybee more, I haven't gotten that out of another pair I've tried. I will say though that I haven't worn the Kenetrecks yet. In the past I have tried Danners, Rockeys, and Irish Setters and destroyed them in a single season.

As far as packs go I went to the Nimrod last year and am loving it. I use the Pinnacle day pack for hunting, and once an animal is down, once I get out what I can carry on the first trip, 5 min. and I can convert to a pack frame with the same shoulder harness to get the rest of my animal out.

These are my personal prefernces that work well for me. I think the key to boots is find what works for you. You can talk to 10 different people and get 10 different answers. I would agree with wgiles and say go try on as many boots as you can and see which feel the best. I would also second the Merino wool socks.

I have a pair of rocky boots that work great. I did an 8+ mile day last season and I did end up stopping to change socks about half way through and putting some mole skin on a couple of hot spots but I haven't had any better luck with any other boots.

The pack I have now is the Eberlestock X2. I like it for a day pack. I sweat a lot and it seems to let me breath fairly well. I never heard of Mystery Ranch before I bought the X2 but they look like good packs. I had an X2 issued to me for work and liked it so much I bought one for myself and for the price I couldn't be happier.

I use Cabelas full draw boots and they work excellent for me;$80 on sale.I first bought them for their weight.I have a very bad back so I need the lightest boots I can find.They always last me a few hunting seasons
I have a badlands pack with the mesh and it works excellent;never wet back

I've destroyed lots of boots over the years, I currently have 2 pair of Meindls one is going on its 5th season, the other onto its second. The older pair has a ton of hard miles on them, and wear them 2-3 times a week. I've not tried Kenetreks, but from looking at them in the store, I just can't see how they would be 'twice' as good as any other quality boot. Peronsonally I doubt they'll last any longer, or perform any better.

You can 'save' your money and buy a cheap pack, but you'll soon realize you need another, and another. You'll be the the rest of us with a dozen packs stuffed away somewhere that you never use. Save up and buy a quality pack and do it once. Sweating is part of backpacking...

In the past, I have owned Rocky's and now have a pair of Pronghorns. They both fit me great and have had little problems with them. Whatever you buy, buy them as soon as you can and start wearing them to get your feet adjusted to them. Always, always take moleskin when you go out on a hunting trip. Like I said, I had very little problems with either boots, but the moleskin saved me 1 time. Moleskin is worth its weight in gold when you are miles from camp and you start to get a blister. I am looking for a new pack & not really sure what I want, internal or external frame. I guess soon, when I have the money I will ask the pro's & con's of both.

For boots I bought a pair of Irish Setters. Got them in a Sportsmans warehouse closing for $60. Figured what could it hurt. Been a great pair of boots. Last falls elk hunt found me 3 miles from my ATV and after crossing 3 Streams my feet stayed dry and warm.

For the pack I just have a Remington day pack. It has raised areas so it's not completely on your back and making you sweat like a prostitute in church. Hope this helps

My vote is Danner Boots and Eberlestock Just One pack. It is big enough to carry out a full quarter easily. I say easily......I mean it fits easily....packing it is another question. LOL.Have used Danner boots on 6 elk hunts and 2 mule deer hunts with lots of walking. Use them around home as well for deer and turkey and hogs. Never tried any of the boots over the 200.00 mark and an happy as can be with what I have.

On the boots I use Kenetrek mountain extreme 400's and on the pack I use an Eberlestock mini me. The boots are easily the best I have used and I really like the fact that they come in wide for my big feet. I have also used Rocky boots in the past with no complaints. On the pack the eberlestock mini me seems to fit the essentials for day hunting but not for spending the night in the woods. It's not bulky at all and holds your rifle if you add the scabbard option. I have to admit I have been looking at a larger Mystery Ranch pack that seems to be popular on this website.

I use Irish Setter boots and have had excelent luck with them have 3 pairs one non insulated on 800 and one 2000 gram.
For Packs I have an eberlestock x1 for day hunts close to home and truck, have a eberlestock blue widow for extended hunts and instead of a super spike dufflel I strap the x1 on the blue widow and it rides great. I also have a cabelas external frame pack the alaskan that is mostly to lend people who tag along and need a larger pack. Looking at mystery ranch packs but love my eberlestock so we will see what the next pack will be.
Good luck

I am a Meindl's guy. I am on my 3rd pair in fifteen years, many hard miles. Good in mud, rain and snow. You might only ever need one pair? They wear like iron. From chasing around upland game to hunting big game and packing heavy loads. Awesome support. It is hard to find 'the One', they come close. The kenetrek boot looks similiar with features, many of the studs on this site seem to brag about them. They are proud of them too, as you mention.
My pack is an Alaskan II. Awesome features and carries a load with a satisfaction gurantee! (I am a cabelas guy, but am not as happy with them the past year or so) The pack queaks a bit. It is comfortable though, and can be used as an external only. I never do --- I bone out the qurters and throw them inside. Plus, the internal rain fly pulls over quick and is excellent to keep gear dry. I use it all the time as conditions change. Dry gear is light gear! The insulated side pocket carries a camelback hydration cell nicely.
Suggestions for ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back