Unusual Elk

Mtolliver

So I am looking for some advice. My hunting buddies and I were in Colorado this week hunting elk. We got into bulls everyday and had them bug bugling like crazy. We thought we were going to pack out to or three but we were wrong. Every Bull we got into would answer until we closed to within 100 or so yards then would pick up his cows and take off. We played the wind perfect every single time, we had good cover too. We even closed in and tried only cow calls hoping to atleast pull in the satellite bulls but the same thing. They would bugle a couple times then walk the other way. Does anyone have any idea why they would act like this? Or a technique pull them in if they are doing this.

all elk are unusual. It never works the way you want it to. until it does. Time in the field until those bulls are "ready" Tough to get a bull away from cows. Pressure in the past they seem to remember as well. Try ambushing them or another tactic. no two elk are the same and it seems the day to day changes them as well. A bull ready today might not be tomorow and vise versa.

So I am looking for some advice. My hunting buddies and I were in Colorado this week hunting elk. We got into bulls everyday and had them bug bugling like crazy. We thought we were going to pack out to or three but we were wrong. Every Bull we got into would answer until we closed to within 100 or so yards then would pick up his cows and take off. We played the wind perfect every single time, we had good cover too. We even closed in and tried only cow calls hoping to atleast pull in the satellite bulls but the same thing. They would bugle a couple times then walk the other way. Does anyone have any idea why they would act like this? Or a technique pull them in if they are doing this.
Check out this video

They are protecting their cows, why fight for what they already have? Get close and call to his cows not him.

Here is something I have heard/learned last year and from talking with more experienced people. Last year similar things happened to me, but I was locating, walking like 75 yards, locating again, walking closer, locating agian. Basically was calling my way it. From talking with others, basically i was saying, here i am and I am getting closer. So this year locating then getting as close to where I think he is before bugling. I wasn't able to watch the above video. But I will let you know how it works after this week in Idaho.

Here is something I have heard/learned last year and from talking with more experienced people. Last year similar things happened to me, but I was locating, walking like 75 yards, locating again, walking closer, locating agian. Basically was calling my way it. From talking with others, basically i was saying, here i am and I am getting closer. So this year locating then getting as close to where I think he is before bugling. I wasn't able to watch the above video. But I will let you know how it works after this week in Idaho.
Thank you. Yeah I’d like to hear how it works for you this year.

what sounds were you making at that time, if any , challenge bugle, cow calls or ??

what sounds were you making at that time, if any , challenge bugle, cow calls or ??
Start off with the location bugle, after closing the distance hit them with a challenge bugle. Also tried the same thing only using cow calls after closing the distance.

Start off with the location bugle, after closing the distance hit them with a challenge bugle. Also tried the same thing only using cow calls after closing the distance.
Perhaps that challenge bugle scared him off, potentially to take his cows away

First off it all depends on what mood the elk are in. You have to read them and figure out what is going on. Most of the time when I bugle it is only to locate. And if they are bugling on their own and feeding off of each other then I have no need to bugle at all. Just get the wind right, walk in there and stick one of them. There is no need to announce your location all the way in to them like E-Rock said if there is no need to. If I can get away with not even letting the elk know I am around then that is what I do.

Often times if a bull is working a herd of cows, I will close the distance and just kind of hang out at the edge of the herd. At some point that bull will head your way to check on his ladies and often times this will lead to him presenting you with a shot opportunity. As long as your bull is bugling enough to let you find his herd, I find no reason to even make a peep.

Earlier in my elk hunting years I was under the understanding that you bugle, he bugles and closes distance, you bugle, he bugles and closes more distance until you get a perfect broadside 20 yard shot. Not necessarily the case, and I dont believe conversing is always necessary as long as they are vocal enough to find them.

Back