University mascots

My college mascot was the Missionaries and then the Pioneers and finally changed to the Blues (the mountains behind the school) during my senior year. Personally I voted to be called the Sockeye Salmons...seemed like a more fun mascot. We didnt even have a football team! Not offended by the mascot names but it is interesting.

Last edited:
My high school was the Orofino Maniacs...just so happens the state mental hospital is in that town. However, the mascot was adopted before the hospital was located there. I certainly hope the feel good crowd doesnt hear about this one!
Definitely one of my favorite mascots. Bought a sweatshirt online once because the logo was as awesome as the mascot. It’s right up there with a small town in WV called Poca. The high school mascot: The Dots! Well done, Poca and Orofino. You had an opportunity and you seized it.

Manufactured. Life is so easy and convenient nowadays we have to manufacture problems April.

The closest university to me growing up was the St. Boneventure Brown Indians. We had tickets to there bball games all the time. Bob Lanier was a Brown Indian. Now they are the St. Bonaventure Bonnie's. What the hell is a Bonnie?

My other school Penn State Nittany Lions has had no mascot issues. Although they do have beating Ohio State issues. 😕

I am Hoosier born and Hoosier bred, bleed Hoosier red (crimson actually) and when I die I'll be Hoosier DEAD!! I would LOVE to hear someone is offended by my Hoosiers or my Hoosier-ness!!! VICTORY IN THE GATOR BOWL!! #REPIU #CREAMANDCRIMSON
will you be in Jacksonville Thursday ? How about you greatwhitebuffalo ? Regardless, enjoy the game

One of the local colleges was the Cossacks but changed it to the Seawolves.....I like the nod to Jack London

The local High school could remain the Braves but had to remove any images of Native Americans cartoonish or realistic.

I

SFC B . We have a friend in El Paso that was a Hoosier fan and whatever time Larry Bird was in Boston, he was a Celtic fan, then went back to supporting Houston when Larry retired. Were you a Larry Bird fan as well or just football ?

My grandfather was never in Chicago in his life but he enjoyed watching the Bears play when Butkus and Sayers played ( I think I have their names right )

I got a bit off mascots, sorry about that April.

Proud to be a Jackrabbit Grad.
1577829338846.png
Also been fond of the Grand Canyon University 'lopes.
1577829429672.png
And the Gillette College Pronghorn.
1577829513332.png

Local High School team had to change it's name from the "Rebels" to the "Wolves". Political correctness just burns my azz :mad: !!

Not from Chinook but suprised they don't complain about being called the Sugarbeeters.

Graduated from WVU our mascot is the Mountaineer and he shoots a muzzleloader after every touchdown, quarter, half and end of game. He also shoots at halftime and end of game in basketball and other sports. The muzzleloader has been banned in some venue since guns are not allowed on campus. Our mascot in this picture also got into trouble with the pc crowd when he used the muzzleloader to kill a bear in 2012

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 6
I'm not offended by any... but I'm not part of a marginalized group. Tons of teams have changed their names overtime, I don't see why it's a big deal for a team to switch.

Used to be a hiking trail here in Phx. called Squaw Peak.The name was changed to Piestewa Peak
after a female soldier that was killed in action.
Sorry folks there is still a large outcrop of rocks on that Mtn.There will always be a Squaw on that Peak... 🔥

I'm not offended by any... but I'm not part of a marginalized group. Tons of teams have changed their names overtime, I don't see why it's a big deal for a team to switch.
To me it matters because it's part of something much bigger than a darn mascot it involves the idea of trying to rewrite history one tiny piece at a time no matter how big or small. History is important whether it be a statue of Robert E. Lee or a mascot named the brown Indian.

To me it matters because it's part of something much bigger than a darn mascot it involves the idea of trying to rewrite history one tiny piece at a time no matter how big or small. History is important whether it be a statue of Robert E. Lee or a mascot named the brown Indian.
History is always rewritten. That Christmas tree that many of us had over the holidays was part of a pagan festival and when the Catholic Church couldn’t get them to stop using them they rewrote them as part of the Christmas celebration. Some German sounding town names changed their names during WW1. Etc etc etc.

To quote the big guy, peace over justice.

I’m not saying I disagree with you, just that it seems to matter an awful lot to some folks and I really don’t see the problem with changing Redskins to some patriotically themed name...

I'm not bothered by mascots, but I don't think changing them is re-writing/erasing history. I can't recall ever hearing someone say that we should deny that Chief Wahoo (just one example) was ever a mascot, but I do hear a lot of people saying that perhaps the Indians can do things better now than they did in the past.

Back