University mascots

Europe

Admittedly I am "dated" at best. But I dont remember one time in the past, when attending college, when children attended college, when we went to Bowl games, or regular season games that the "Mascot" for our team or the opposing team ever bothered me, and still does not, but as stated I am a bit dated.

George Washington University, whose mascot is "George Washington" is offensive to some and want it changed. I remember when the Florida Seminoles got support from the Seminole Tribe in Florida to keep the Seminole as their mascot name, but still received grief, as the use of the name was found offensive to some. This was also a few years back that a female group in Oregon was offended by the use of the name "Beaver" been used, as it was an offensive slang name. The brouhaha in Wyoming when the university wanted to use the slogan "The world needs more Cowboys" or Long Beach being asked to lose "Prospector Pete" as it was offensive to indigenous people who worked in the mines

These seem like manufactured cause's. I have never been offended by simple statements like "cowboy up" when my parents were telling me to suck it up up and move on. I never even "thought" they should have said "cowgirl".

But maybe I am wrong. Does the mascot for your favorite University offend you ? Does the mascot for any University, offend you ?

I will reach 2020 a bit sooner than most on the forum --so Happy New Years, ladies and gentlemen. Noharleyyet, thanks again, that song hits VERY close to home

Can't beat the ASU "Sundevil" for a mascot...It's all true,no matter how you look at it!👺🔥

Nope, I am not very easily offended. In fact, if some college wants to use my name as their nickname in honor of me, I am all for it! To me, it would be an honor. Too many people are easily offended these days. Not being offended isn't a right protected in the constitution! Happy New Years to you too!

I am Hoosier born and Hoosier bred, bleed Hoosier red (crimson actually) and when I die I'll be Hoosier DEAD!! I would LOVE to hear someone is offended by my Hoosiers or my Hoosier-ness!!! VICTORY IN THE GATOR BOWL!! #REPIU #CREAMANDCRIMSON

I am Hoosier born and Hoosier bred, bleed Hoosier red (crimson actually) and when I die I'll be Hoosier DEAD!! I would LOVE to hear someone is offended by my Hoosiers or my Hoosier-ness!!! VICTORY IN THE GATOR BOWL!! #REPIU #CREAMANDCRIMSON

Love the passion , I was at the Oregon vs Indiana game in 2004 , long drive home 🤬

Don't forget the renaming of everything that contains the word "squaw." Doesn't really matter to me, but I'm of Scandinavian descent and would like to think of myself as a viking even though I'm a packer fan.🤔

Love the passion , I was at the Oregon vs Indiana game in 2004 , long drive home 🤬
Being an IU football fan is usually not easy. But on top of actually being a Hoosier, we currently hold 4 IU degrees in our house (it will go up to 5 when the boy graduates from Kelley next year)....... :)

Undergrad - Bison - no complaints so far
Grad school - Wildcats - no complaints so far
Fav pro team - Vikings - no complaints so far
Undergrad rival - Sioux - some complaints, name changed to Fighting Hawks. Still Sioux to me, but given the usage by some opponents, such as, "Sioux Suck" and throwing Indian-garbed mannequins onto the ice/field I can see how some objected.

No problem for either of mine, that I know of, definitely not for me.

El Paso--Miners
Fairbanks--Nanooks

I might mention this in case we have alumni's here from other Texas Universities. El Paso is the ONLY NCAA team to win a Basketball National Championship :love: although it was before my time, Go Miners !

one of the colleges I attended had a mascot no one complained about because no one knew what it was

Gryphons

April were the colleges you went to all one room schools ? :devilish:

Big horn ram. the stadium full of students wearing those on national t.v. that would draw a bit of attention to the school :cool: o_O:)

I do get tired of all the "snowflakes" that are offended/outraged at everything. It just gets so tiring. I say that with full acknowledgment that I am not a "member" of any controversial mascot so I can't speak for them. However, I think it will be a sad day if my Atlanta Braves lose their name.

Can't beat the ASU "Sundevil" for a mascot...It's all true,no matter how you look at it!👺🔥

Agree, of our three main universities, the sundevils and wildcats should be o.k., but somebody is going to want to rename the lumberjacks, the lumberjacks and jills. However you guys down south and west dont recognize us anyway (-;

mthuntr. simply stated, I agree.

noharleyyet, I agree with Randi----love it and any questions ? that bull dog didn't stick around to ask any (-;

thanks guys for the posts, they brightened up my day

Being a Volunteer, I've always felt our school had an apt namesake; similar to Indiana.

As for Thursday...

...see you on the battlefield

Back