Universal Binocular Tripod Adapter

rmyoung1

Hey, guys, I'm interested in finding something to attach my Leupold Gold Ring 10x42 binos to a tripod. I've seen Randy use the same binos on the show, and I thought that some of you might have figured out a way to secure these things to a tripod effectively. Is there a universal tripod adapter that works well for these Leupold binos? Thanks!

Haven't noticed Randy's setup but I have a couple Vanguard adapters I like. One for my 10's on a monopod or tripod and the other for 20's on a tripod/window mount.

They are a bit pricey but I think the Leica tri pod adapter will fit most roof prism binos. I like it much better than the screw in type as you don't have to remove the post from your binos, you can carry around your neck with the adapter on. Also, I use a straight eye piece spotter and it seems easier to go from binos to spotter without adjusting height.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Op...ort-Optics-Technical-Equipment/Tripod-Adapter

They are a bit pricey but I think the Leica tri pod adapter will fit most roof prism binos. I like it much better than the screw in type as you don't have to remove the post from your binos, you can carry around your neck with the adapter on. Also, I use a straight eye piece spotter and it seems easier to go from binos to spotter without adjusting height.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Op...ort-Optics-Technical-Equipment/Tripod-Adapter

You can also make something similar to this. All you need to do is make a platform that your tripod shoe can attach to. Ultimately something just a touch wider that your binos, then use a heavy duty rubber band to attach to each end of the platform if you want security.

I've found that just putting my binos on top of the shoe, not strapped down works well, but I can see where the binos being secured has it's advantages.

I use this one:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-uni-daptor-binocular-tripod-adapter

It's really handy to be able to leave the post attached to your binos while around your neck, and just set them on the tripod when you want. It's important to remember that it's just gravity that holds them in place, so if you pick up your tripod to move it you need to be careful not to tip it over enough to dump your glass. If this is a concern, the post that attaches to the binos is threaded on the bottom, so you can attach the tripod shoe directly to it.

+1 on the vortex uni. I just leave the post with the Alan wrench screw attached to my binos all the time. Then I bought an extra plate for my tripod and leave the bottom part of the adapter attached to it at all times as well. Makes for easy on/off.

I use same vortex adapter on several brands and its a nice light and easy setup

Thanks for the advice, guys.

And, Walkitoff, that's gonna have to be our mantra this year. I'm leaving the glass behind. We're goin' old school.

Last edited:
The Snapzoom Universal Binocular Tripod Adapter, which is different from other adapters, has a platform for placement. In terms of size, it is indeed larger than other adapters, but it does better in terms of versatility.

Last edited:
i just got the gen2 field optics research setup this fall and very impressed with it so far. I have used a couple different ones in the past and this has been the best value by far

I bought the Outdoorsman adapter and love it. It is super simple to use and locks up really solid.

Came across this:

However, $$$. (Go figure, it's Swarovski)

I'm not sure of the vortex adapter as it seems that stem would eventually tear into my binos harness, unless on/off is needed. Hard to tell the length the stem portion protrudes. (Have Vortex 10x50)

I like the simplicity (and $) of Jryoung's, rubber band use - and far, far cheaper then Swarovski's product and may look into a platform to accommodate a wide/large rubber band. The unit above is an all-in-one ready to go setup.

Also, another question. All I've used in the past to stabilize is my trek pole. Sit it atop the knob of the handle with my pole length set and glass away, granted not near the solid platform.

I typically pack in and often stay the night or two so weight is a factor and avoid my Leupold lightweight tripod as it's weight vs my trek pole multi use. When is the tripod packed in? Randy's case with all the gear for recording, I can imagine a tripod is a multi use tool for the trade, though for Joe/Jane, when is a tripod packed used? For packing, it's merely an expected weight for the hunt?

I use a Leupold bino adapter, mfg. #172625. I just googled it and it looks like you can pick them up for $20 or so. I have a Benro S2 head on my Slik 634 tripod so I had to get another Benro shoe to permanently attach to the adapter. The adapter stays on my tripod when I'm packing it. The only time I take it off is to put my spotting scope on the tripod. This adapter does not stick up further than the top of my pack.....I don't notice it.

When is the tripod packed in?

I don't leave home without it. Its so much easier to glass with bino's on a tripod rather than try to brace your elbows off your knees, trekking pole or free-handing them in any other way. And my Slik weighs next to nothing so I don't notice it when packing it. As far as multi-uses go, it could be used as a rifle support although I haven't done it yet in the field, only at the range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back