Unit 6a NM Hunt Report

Mako3382

Just getting back to the real world, and wanted to post a report from our recent hunt. I struck out on the draw for my usual unit 13, and with the ever increasing price of tags, decided to try a new unit for muzzleloader season. After an exhaustive search for a good unit that didn't break the bank, we decided on 6a. We scouted in late August to get a feel for the unit, and spent a few days on the ground before the season started trying a few new areas. 2 of our buddies packed into the wilderness to scout for 3 days, and saw 18 bulls. Thanks to member "Crimeny" for pointing me in another direction for scouting. While we found some bulls before the season, opening day the areas were buzzing with people and zero elk...nothing vocal either. That being said, unit 6C was going nuts, with bulls screaming everywhere just next door, while very little was happening in 6a. We had to pull an audible and move to other hunting areas and were fortunate enough to find some bulls that were more responsive. We hunted hard and were able to connect on 2 nice 6x6 bulls, both shot at 350 yards with muzzleloaders. We had a rough pack out in some steep and thick country, but well worth the effort. Many thanks to "Crimeny" for the help and hospitality. This is a beautiful unit with what seemed like a lot of hunters, but there were some bulls if you got off the beaten path. Already looking forward to next year.

Attachments

• Chad bull.jpg
    Chad bull.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Lee bull 2.jpg
    Lee bull 2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Lee Bull.jpg
    Lee Bull.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 117
Congrats on getting it done out there!

A buddy and I just drew 6A early archery. From what I can tell online I should expect to run in to quite a few people and have wheelers driving around where they shouldn't be. How'd you get away from the pressure?

This is only my second year elk hunting. Last year we drew unit 2 early archery and I had a blast. Several close encounters but couldn't get it done. Any tips?

That should be a good tag, we struck out on tags in 6a this year. We saw a lot of traffic in some areas, but were able to find plenty of elk. We passed up a few in the low 300's before connecting with a good one. I'd focus on being in the field before daylight to take advantage of any bugles, if they are bugling that early in the season. There were plenty of bulls, so you should find them.

Last edited:
Congrats on getting it done out there!

A buddy and I just drew 6A early archery. From what I can tell online I should expect to run in to quite a few people and have wheelers driving around where they shouldn't be. How'd you get away from the pressure?

This is only my second year elk hunting. Last year we drew unit 2 early archery and I had a blast. Several close encounters but couldn't get it done. Any tips?
Welcome to the forum. You have a great tag and shouldn't have any issues finding elk. PM me if you'd like, I'll share my feedback from 6A.

Hello There Everyone!! I also drew a tag for my first ever hunt for early Bow in this area. I'm trying figure out where to really head in this area. I have area kinda picked in the NE area outside of the san pedro wilderness area near water areas. I also Have one picked out near the western edge of the caldera area. I'm trying very hard to learn everything i can before then about what to really look for and how some archers are successful. I am not a decent enough woodsman to backcountry hunt this year but I don't mind day hiking a few miles out of camp. Thank you all and any tips or tricks or even words of encouragement would be nice.

Hello There Everyone!! I also drew a tag for my first ever hunt for early Bow in this area. I'm trying figure out where to really head in this area. I have area kinda picked in the NE area outside of the san pedro wilderness area near water areas. I also Have one picked out near the western edge of the caldera area. I'm trying very hard to learn everything i can before then about what to really look for and how some archers are successful. I am not a decent enough woodsman to backcountry hunt this year but I don't mind day hiking a few miles out of camp. Thank you all and any tips or tricks or even words of encouragement would be nice.
Goodluck on your hunt! My wife drew the Oct 21-25 rifle hunt this year. We are heading up to scout this weekend. Obviously, the elk will be in a different area come late October but hoping to get a good lay of the land, and a good game plan. Keep us updated on your hunt!

Goodluck on your hunt! My wife drew the Oct 21-25 rifle hunt this year. We are heading up to scout this weekend. Obviously, the elk will be in a different area come late October but hoping to get a good lay of the land, and a good game plan. Keep us updated on your hunt!
Welcome to HT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back