Unit 40 idaho

bolsen

We drew an archery deer tag for aug 15th in unit 40. Went over last weekend and saw a lot of deer, 2 shooters. Spent most of our time around silver city and on the west side of the unit. Hoping to get ovet there one more time before the season and was wondering if anyone had some areas that we should check out. Thanks for any help!
Brandon.

Oh and here is my newb introduction. Im a 24 year old logger from sw Washington. Ive killed 13 mule deer, 8 bulls, and 6 blacktails. No kids, but a girlfriend that will most likey leave me after im gone for about 4 months straight this hunting season! Anyways thanks again.

Welcome newb. Sounds like you are on the right track and don't need any help if you already found two shooters. My advice for that hunt is to stay hydrated! It gets very hot out there during that hunt. The deer don't move around much during the day so be prepared for lots of glassing. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Where is john on this one? He must have lost his internet yesterday.

Bolsen stay high on the mountain like you did scouting.
What part of the season are you going to hunt? What is your standard for a "shooter"? If you are hunting the early part of the season do you know how to care for velvet antlers? Make sure and keep us posted on how your hunt goes to pay guys back for any help you get.

yes you are looking in the right spot for sure already, and family member 2 years ago killed a huge 180" 3 point on this hunt, he killed his opening morning 2 hours into the hunt, spend as much time out there as you can, I suggest killing the buck you want the first couple of days, hope that helps, don't shoot anything under 170", that's my opinion,
Matt

I think we will be there the opening first 5 days, then come back again a couple weeks later if we dont have anything down. A shooter will have to be around the 160s im thinking. I know there are a lot bigger bucks there but we would be happy with a nice 24" 4 pt. I was in this unit once before about 5 years ago for a day and saw an 8x8 around 27". He was an absolute monster. I was just making sure we were checking the right areas. Its a big unit!! Thanks everyone for the help so far! You think we should hold out for something bigger?

I'm surprised with this group. No one asked for a picture of the girlfriend?

Good luck on your hunt. That is tough country, but a good tag.

How come on monstermuleys you only found one shooter, but here you state you found two shooters??

Dang trolls...

Reviewed the film, and my buddy said he would shoot the 2nd one afterall. Hes only about 22". I'll try to get a pic of him up

How come on monstermuleys you only found one shooter, but here you state you found two shooters??

Dang trolls...
Everyone that goes into 40 sees a few 180s a day.
Unless I see pics i figure it was a 100-140" 4pt every time.

Aaron what do you go by on MM is it the same?

Aaron what do you go by on MM is it the same?

same name there...less the "1" on the end. I was once banned from Hunttalk back when Moosie ran this sircus (circus) and I signed up again simply by adding the "1' to the end of my name. :D

same name there...less the "1" on the end. I was once banned from Hunttalk back when Moosie ran this sircus (circus) and I signed up again simply by adding the "1' to the end of my name. :D
soundes like an interesting story? You should pm it to me if you have time.

Area 40

I haven't hunted this area before but got a controlled hunt tag for nov 1 thru 20th any one hunted this area in winter ??? would like some suggestions.Thanks Kimo .

I'd stay away from all of that country north of Silver City. When I hunted it there were a lot of elk hunters who had blown out most of the deer. I'd also stay away from some of the other popular elk areas for the same reasons. I spent a fair amount of time near Toy Mtn and Black Butte if I remember correctly and shot a pretty nice buck after six days of hunting.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back