Unit 34 Elk muzzle loader Oct 16-20

Deerhunter6250

I was lucky enough to Draw Unit 34 Oct 16-20 Muzzle loader Elk after 10 years of trying. If anyone has any information they would be willing to share I would appreciate it. I will call the warden and biologist but have had good luck on this sight with other hunts. You can PM me or call me at 712-292-0699. Thanks in advance. Dan

I will be there for the first archery on Sept 1. I will share all I can. I am trying to talk with a bunch of different people now to get all the info I can about the area.

Grats on the tag. Had that tag a few years back and bulls were bugling in early morning, but that was it. Bulls were also still with cows. Hunted around water and in grassy areas between water and saw elk. Didn't harvest, but that wasn't the elk's fault. The advice I've seen in the past about 34 is to get a map, throw a dart at it, and hunt there because there are elk everywhere. I've found that advice to be accurate during my hunts in the unit.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions once you start your planning/research.

-Guy

Grats on the tag. Had that tag a few years back and bulls were bugling in early morning, but that was it. Bulls were also still with cows. Hunted around water and in grassy areas between water and saw elk. Didn't harvest, but that wasn't the elk's fault. The advice I've seen in the past about 34 is to get a map, throw a dart at it, and hunt there because there are elk everywhere. I've found that advice to be accurate during my hunts in the unit.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions once you start your planning/research.

-Guy
Thanks I appreciate it. When I get maps of the I will PM you about a spot I am interested in. Do you know what is the best paper map to have for that area? I will have onx also. Thanks again Dan

I will be there for the first archery on Sept 1. I will share all I can. I am trying to talk with a bunch of different people now to get all the info I can about the area.
I will share what I find with you before you go also. I would appreciate any help after your hunt? How many days do you have to hunt?

Thanks I appreciate it. When I get maps of the I will PM you about a spot I am interested in. Do you know what is the best paper map to have for that area? I will have onx also. Thanks again Dan
Can't help you there, I haven't used paper maps in a long time. I use OnX and various satellite images (Google Earth, etc)

As others have said there are elk everywhere in that unit. Was there hiking around Sunday.

Can't help you there, I haven't used paper maps in a long time. I use OnX and various satellite images (Google Earth, etc)
OnX works well for me also. I just put the tablet on the console and navigate to the way points. I have come to appreciate the Earthmate app That I use with a In-reach mini. When I am hiking I mark my paths along the way. Makes a big difference when trying to find your hunting spot in the dark. Works for me anyway.

I will share what I find with you before you go also. I would appreciate any help after your hunt? How many days do you have to hunt?
I will arrive the morning before, and hunt 7-10 days. I am gonna be sleeping out of the truck and hunting on foot. Talked with a few guys already who gave me a few starting points, and said I could easily backpack hunt the unit and find plenty of animals.

I will arrive the morning before, and hunt 7-10 days. I am gonna be sleeping out of the truck and hunting on foot. Talked with a few guys already who gave me a few starting points, and said I could easily backpack hunt the unit and find plenty of animals.
Muzzle is only 5 days...cabin tent and wood stove for me. September ain’t like October in the Lincoln.

I was lucky enough to Draw Unit 34 Oct 16-20 Muzzle loader Elk after 10 years of trying. If anyone has any information they would be willing to share I would appreciate it. I will call the warden and biologist but have had good luck on this sight with other hunts. You can PM me or call me at 712-292-0699. Thanks in advance. Dan
Unit 34 in New Mexico?

I am going to drive out later in June, and try again early August. Really just trying to learn a little of landscape and possible camp areas. Everyone keeps telling me near Cloudcroft, but I feel everyone will be there. Hopefully I can find something in the heat that will still be active in a few months.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back