Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Twins

Anymore I’m leaning to shorter and shorter barrels. Thought about having it ackleyed when I had it over there to cut the barrel down but didn’t. Would have almost made up for the velocity loss
I could be wrong, but I doubt the AI would have made up for it.

Are you planning to keep the hides? My 22” .223AI runs in the neighborhood of 3600fps with 52s and they wreck things, plus have a severe lack of penetration. Great for pdogs. Bad for varmints if I care about a hide.

I used to shoot a lot hogs with, and my wife shot a deer with a .222Rem and Lapua 55gr soft points. They worked great. I shot a hog, three times, with the same bullet from a 26” 223AI and performance was pitiful. Three softball sized spheres of goo starting about 1” under the skin. Too much velocity for that bullet.

I could be wrong, but I doubt the AI would have made up for it.

Are you planning to keep the hides? My 22” .223AI runs in the neighborhood of 3600fps with 52s and they wreck things, plus have a severe lack of penetration. Great for pdogs. Bad for varmints if I care about a hide.

I used to shoot a lot hogs with, and my wife shot a deer with a .222Rem and Lapua 55gr soft points. They worked great. I shot a hog, three times, with the same bullet from a 26” 223AI and performance was pitiful. Three softball sized spheres of goo starting about 1” under the skin. Too much velocity for that bullet.

The ackley helps the 22-250 quit a bit being the taper on the 22-250 case is quite a bit. It wouldn’t have got me the 130+ but it would have got me 75-100+ more

I’ve had good luck with the 52 grain hornady hollow point boattails on coyote hides. Never to explosive and if they exit it’s quarter to half dollar size hole

Need a video of that process @brockel . Looks great!
Not much to it. Put a base coat down let it dry. Grab a sponge with some good holes in it and rip pieces off it. Spray paint on a piece of card board and dip sponge piece in it and try it on something to see if it makes shapes you like. Then just go dabbing it on. Move on to the next color and do the same until you have the pattern you want.
6CC43915-95F3-47AB-9853-173559A17755.jpeg

The ackley helps the 22-250 quit a bit being the taper on the 22-250 case is quite a bit. It wouldn’t have got me the 130+ but it would have got me 75-100+ more

I’ve had good luck with the 52 grain hornady hollow point boattails on coyote hides. Never to explosive and if they exit it’s quarter to half dollar size hole
It adds a lot of capacity, but the shorter the barrel, the less difference you’ll see between the two. At just 17” it might not add much at all.

I may have to try that bullet. A 55 Lapua completely removed the rib cage from a bobcat. 52gr RubRights and 52gr AMaxs have both halved jackrabbits. They’d kill a yote alright, but I’d be afraid to try one on a hide I wanted. I haven’t hunted coyotes since college. :(

It adds a lot of capacity, the shorter the barrel, the less difference you’ll see between the two. At just 17” it might not add much at all.

I may have to try that bullet. A 55 Lapua completely removed the rib cage from a bobcat. 52gr RubRights and 52gr AMaxs have both halved jackrabbits. They’d kill a yote alright, but I’d be afraid to try one on a hide I wanted. I haven’t hunted coyotes since college. :(

I don’t think the hornady hp match boat tail has as deep of hollow point so helps to control the expansion

The big positive I see with the stubby bbl's is that it's saving me a chit ton of dough.

Cool paint job.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back