Turn your nose to the wind

jryoung

A simple check of a wrong box and the use of five points in Arizona on a cow tag could easily frustrate most, it did for me back in April when I got notice at the BHA Rendezvous that my bank account was $1,200 lighter (2 tags). Fortunately at that moment I was standing next a guy from AZ who said 85% of my elk hunting is in that unit, give me a ring and we'll get you set up. My frustration subsided a bit, but I still felt a bit of a sting. Another successful draw in Idaho consumed my focus, spring turned to summer, summer to fall, a moose hunt in Idaho with my wife, and elk hunt in NM with a buddy and suddenly I needed to figure out AZ. My wife couldn't join me on this hunt so we turned her tag over to Outdoor Experience 4 All and am hoping someone deserving got a great hunt.

I started to get serious about scouting, the unit has minimal physical distinction, water tanks everywhere, as well as roads. The AZ G&F website has some detailed thoughts about where to hunt elk so I doubled up on my research with their notes, figuring theirs would be needed to taken with a grain of salt as everyone else read them too. Talking with my Dad about my plans he said he didn't want me to go alone, so a few thousand airline miles and a nominal fee and my longest hunting partner was suddenly in the mix and on a plane 48 hours later.

Dad has been hobbled, he got bionic hip #2 earlier this spring to pair with #1 and his fused back, but like most of his generation, he's tougher than he is smart. I'm thankful for his determination, I know my elk hunts with him are well into twilight, and are likely numbered in the single digits. Any adventure with him is a blessing, let alone one in a new place, foreign to us both.

I hit the road from CA and was at PHX 12 hours later to pick him up, we finished the day off with another three hour trip north to the southern rim.

IMG_20161201_092504.jpg
DSC00733.jpg

Snow had fallen earlier in the week, and I was reminded that there was a bull hunt (the one I meant to apply for) in the unit the week prior. Everything looked promising, consistent tracks of groups of elk everywhere we went. A large portion of tracks lead to an area where it was noted as their winter range. We set up on a glassing perch the evening before the opener, covering a lot of acreage in our location everything was still. A couple of bull hunters came up out of a draw in front of us and noted that there weren't many elk seen the last couple of days, pressure had pushed them to retreat to cover. I was able to spot an elk that came out of cover just before last light, I figured sitting in the same spot in the morning would be the best bet.

The opener was quiet, one or two shots from a distance, a few deer and no elk at the end of our binoculars. I figured with most of the tracks headed in a single direction it was time to head that way for the afternoon and get to the opening where I saw the elk the evening before. Getting to the bottom of the ridgeline, it was clear none of the elk that came off the ridge intended to stop. We also discovered another fun hunt challenge, in that AZ residents don't know what a Motor Vehicle Use Map is or do they obey roads clearly marked as closed. One of the reasons I wanted to check a particular spot out was that because it had an elk it in the night prior, but was also a little over a mile from the nearest open road.....except for this guy. As he puttered up to us, I said "isn't this road closed"? "Nope, it's not posted." "Nothing south of road 123 is open, it clearly marked, we'll unmarked on the MVUM." "Well, everyone else is driving it" "I understand, you may want to ask a warden or ranger if you see them then, it'd suck to get a ticket". This would be the theme for the week, physically marked, or on the map, no one respected the closures and it was a bit frustrating.

20161202_163227.jpg
DSC00805.jpg

Day two lead us further north, a late start lead us to getting to the FS road after day break. About a mile short of our road a lone cow was out in the middle of a clearing. I waited for cover to pull the truck over, grab my rifle, and run back to get a look at her. Wanting to get well clear of the road I worked down an embankment which cut off my shooting lane, I could only see her head. Somehow I thought I could continue to drop into the wash, and come up the other side for a look, but the tree line behind her was closer that I thought and by the time I was up, she was gone. That afternoon I decided to poke around on the hill where she was headed, it was filled with tracks, promising openings, and the sweet smell of elk. I figured we had found a spot to play cat and mouse and confirmed it when I bumped a group of elk coming out after dark.

IMG_20161202_201200.jpg

Day three found us in the same spot as before, the fleeting snow, now almost a week old was still a strong indicator for fresh elk sign. New tracks had the granular snow kicked up in front, and often a small patch of it on the bare ground where a hoof first hit dirt after a patch. I decided to take off on a fresh set and chase it into the wind. This would be the first "stalk" of many where the elk were headed straight into the wind. It seems obvious for them to do so, but I haven't come across it before with such consistency. Maybe it was due to limited topography of the area, the lack of a lead cow as nearly all sign was singles or pairs. I'm not sure, but it kept me guessing the rest of the week.

DSC00742.jpg
DSC00766.jpg

Days four and five brought more of the same, a fresh set a tracks in the morning, dead into the wind with no elk at the end of them. We knew we were close, we just couldn't turn them up. As we were approaching nearly two weeks of constant pressure, they weren't making any mistakes. All hunters we came across were in the same boat....to be fair thought we only saw one other out on foot, everyone else was on the road. On Tuesday, I had trailed a set of tracks for a bit over a mile, they were consistent into the wind, but weren't moving terribly fast. As they were headed for a draw I though I might have a chance. As I crested the rim, and began glassing below and onto the other side, I heard the rumble of a motor. Surely some asshat, driving up two different closed roads into this small draw. They turned their rig around, and parked. As they were gathering their things, I wanted yell down and tell them don't worry, there's no elk here...anymore.

Frustrated I headed back to the truck, as I got close a pair of coyotes started up on a hill above me, they were close so I trotted closer and set up by a tree. I used my Bitterroot Custom Cow Call to best make a distress call and surely enough the two rounded the corner and stopped 20 yards away. They were beautiful, full winter coats and quickly realized I was not who they thought I was. I was reminded of the lesson that if you intend to make a call, especially on an animal with great eyesight, be ready to shoot. In this case it was my camera, but it was on my shoulder and I only got one fleeing away. They were my first coyotes I've ever called in, it was too cool.

DSC00741.jpg

After calling coyotes, you probably gave up on the elk and called more coyotes.

With one evening hunt to go I took a look at all my paths on my phone, they all were roughly headed to a particular opening that was surrounded by some thicker draws, they we also two miles from an open road....but we know how that has played out. Fortunately, it seemed as if no rigs had driven up them for at least a few days so that was promising as we got closer. We also found these guys in our feet, which was comical given we just listened to the podcast where Randy described his choice of seating in Nevada.

DSC00773.jpg

We got to the opening which was more or less 100 yards wide by about 800 yards long, we got close to the middle where we had cover and could move north or south if needed. The light faded through a series of brilliant colors, the evening grew quiet and no elk decided to show themselves.

DSC00775.jpg
DSC00776.jpg
DSC00778.jpg

It was great week with Dad, I'm so thankful he decided to come. Each day we got humbled, but kept going, and because I screwed up my application, I was afforded the opportunity to hunt. It was every bit worth the cost of the points, Dad may not be able to go when I have ten points. Randy's signature kept coming into my head during the week, "hunt when you can".

Wednesday morning I had to take Dad to the airport, I dropped him off at first light and was ready to head home when I got a text message. It was Chris who I met at the Rendezvous, he gave me a spot to check out that was much closer to me now (at the airport) than where I had been hunting. I couldn't let it go, I had to go back out and turned north instead of west to California.

It was a unremarkable small mesa he pointed me to, but similar to the north end of the unit he noted guys hammered the roads so this mesa could be a spot where they head to. He had only seen two elk up there earlier in the season, the second being the one he shot. I parked and didn't bother changing into my hunting clothes and took off to the top. After about an hour I came across a set of tracks, they seemed pretty fresh, the shit seemed fresher and they were once again dead into the wind.

Without anything else to go off I turned and followed, after another hour of weaving through the juniper and pinyon I found this guy. He must have thought I couldn't see him.

DSC00811.jpg

I figured it was time to head to the truck, I got up took a few steps and saw the hind end of an elk 75 yards ahead of me. The rush of adrenaline when you spot prey feels the same whether it is 75 yards, or 750. She took a step to her left further occluding herself, so I moved left too. The wind in my face, the soil soft and quiet I side stepped my way scanning everything in front of me. Suddenly, there was another elk further to my left, quartering away and head under a juniper. She was 50 yards, and I had a small opening in front of me. She lifted her head, pushed her near side front left forward giving me an ideal quartering away.

The silence on the mesa was shattered, a gunshot followed by fleeing elk with hooves on rocks and sticks sounded like a stadium. The cow I shot was only able to take two steps back before she collapsed.

DSC00814.jpg
IMG_20161207_153415.jpg

It ended up being one of the best weeks hunting I've ever had. A long ways from my initial thoughts in the spring. A week spent with Dad, a riddle that seemed unsolvable, new country, my first look at the Grand Canyon, there was just so much to take in. It was an amazing conclusion to my big game season. A season that covered three states, three forests, one wilderness and hundreds of square miles of public land. Land Tawney has said "we live like Kings on public land". I couldn't agree more, driving out I got a little emotional at my adventures this year, the places I got to visit, the strangers I met that were willing to lend a hand to a fellow hunter, and of course the sights and sounds of our public estate. It isn't replaceable.

DSC00808.jpgDSC00790.jpgIMG_20161207_172415.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write up. I see now my stories are too simple.

Love those coyotes.

That's a great story JR. I feel like there is another part to the story...like a pairing of elk (possibly marrow) with a nice wine. Hopefully Vigo gets a few pieces to chew on too.

That's a great story JR. I feel like there is another part to the story...like a pairing of elk (possibly marrow) with a nice wine. Hopefully Vigo gets a few pieces to chew on too.

That part should be coming up, this weekend I made moose osso bucco, ate the marrow and drank it with a 2003 Pegau...it was divine and I'm eating the leftovers for breakfast right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back