Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Turkey Load Testing FEB 2015

Sapper.dawg

With the one day of spring like weather we have had in North AL this month and deer season over, my turkey hunting juices are flowing pretty hard right now. I have not patterned my gun in a few years, so I decided to grab some targets and two loads to see how things stand.

Gun: Remington 870 Super Magnum
Choke: Remington super full, Carlson Long Beard XR http://tinyurl.com/6rhu2vy
Rounds: Remington Nitro Turkey 3" #5 1 7/8 oz, and Winchester Long Beard XR 3.5" #5, 2 oz
Targets: BWC PreGame Turkey 12x18
Setup: 35 and 45 yards, sitting, standard Remington bead sights

I shot the nitro turkey loads with the Remington super full, and the XRs with the Carlson choke. I did not switch the loads and chokes as I was pretty tired of shooting the 3.5s after two rounds.

The results at 35 yards (Nitro on the right, XR on the left):

The results at 45 yards (Nitro on the right, XR on the left):

I think there was a bit of bleed over from the nitro to the XR target on the 45 yard shot, but the results are pretty obvious, none the less. I do want to shoot these again at 25 yards to see if the patterns are too tight on the XR combo, but after this I am pretty comfortable with the round and choke combo.

Good work ! You might want to try a mod choke w the longbeard XR. I believe that Winchester says they shoot best w this choke. The full choke might actually be hurting your pattern. Currently I shoot the Federal Heavyweight. I called Federal Ammunition & they said to shoot an imp or mod choke w the Heavyweight because of the special wad design. I've killed toms cleanly out to 82 yds w the Federal Heavyweight & imp choke.

Last edited:
I wonder what happens out at 50 and 55 yards with the XR? I had good luck with Winchester Double X 3", with 1300 velocity, and 1 3/4 oz of 4 or 6 shot last year. I think I remember the 6 shot is supposed to hold pattern at longer distance than the 4's. It would be interesting to compare the XR's and Double X. Those shells are pretty pricey!

The pricey shells are worth every penny up here in MN. We only get 5 days to turkey hunt each spring. So u have to take any oppportunity u get. Personally, I hunt very open farm country, so long shots of 40+ yds are the norm. I test shot the Federal Heavyweight & I have impressive energy at 55 yds. I set up a home speaker box at 55 yds. All the "standard" turkey loads penetrated into the plywood box. But the Federal Heavyweight blew all the way through the plywood box at 55 yds & out the back side of the box !

Last edited:
That XR load looks quite good IMO out to 45yds! Good luck!

Folks are shooting gobblers at some crazy distances with the Federal Heavyweights! Being heavier than lead, many are running 6s or 7s as it increases the number of pellets and the smaller ones penetrate better than larger lead. I'm planning on running 7s through my 20ga this year. Just hope I can get a turkey close enough to test them on.

Patterning turkey loads with a pump shotgun. That does NOT sound like a fun way to spend an afternoon!! It looks like you've got it dialed in, though.

In southern MN, where I hunt, birds usually decoy fairly easily so I prefer to use a bow. I can practice shooting and not feel like I just went 3 rounds with Tyson. But, what I really enjoy, is being able to eat my turkey with zero fear of hitting a BB. It will be here before we know it. I can't wait!

I was turkey hunting last fall and missed 3 times. I hadn't missed on a turkey ever,maybe I was due. I had bought a new box of shells before going and when I got home read some reviews online with a grain of salt but 90 percent of them all said the same thing "great to 25 yards and then drop like lead in water" which was what I experienced. So it is a great idea to pattern your scatter gun before you hit the turkey woods.

I was turkey hunting last fall and missed 3 times. I hadn't missed on a turkey ever,maybe I was due. I had bought a new box of shells before going and when I got home read some reviews online with a grain of salt but 90 percent of them all said the same thing "great to 25 yards and then drop like lead in water" which was what I experienced. So it is a great idea to pattern your scatter gun before you hit the turkey woods.

In the first pattern photo, I was holding the bead dead center of the aiming circle, and you can see most of the pellets ended up in the body - especially for the XR. In the second round of shots I was holding the bead dead on the top of the head, and the pattern turned out much better.

Nice patterns out of that LongBeard XR! After reading the F&S article, I will be sticking with my 3" loads.

I have also switched to hunting with a bow. I enjoy getting birds to within 5yds for that headshot with the Magnus Bullheads. No recoil, no noise and any hit to the head or neck is lethal. A 5yd shot is extremely exciting too.

I do hunt to eat so I carry the gun occasionally, but I continue to use the same techniques. I've never shot a turkey farther than 30yds with that in mind. My 11yr old daughter took her first bird last year at 18yds with a 20ga. Enjoy the hunt and let the bird come in closer.

Excellent post - I will be taking a 1st timer out soon to do the same! And then to SD.

Jelly Head choke and #5s in Heavy Shot. Might pick up a box of those XRs now!
Cool cool.

There you go talking silly again :hump:

I've gotten 4 birds in the last 3 years and all have been inside 20yds and 2 were inside of 10 yds. One with the bow was 6yds.

When you force the closeness game by using archery, you realize just how close they will really come. I think most turkey hunters would be surprised. Too many hunters have been led to believe that shots should be 30-45 yards. New tech does make it possible to drop birds at 50yds, but why? I will never judge anyone unless their bird gets away. Outside of that, I just say, give it a try. If the turkey hasn't spooked from you by 40yds, he will likely walk right in.

Back